Flash - Jay Garrick, not classic not New 52 haha

RickHollandHFX

I wanted to make a classic Jay Garrick costume after having seen one on-line. I started searching for WWI dough-boy helmets and got one that was in pretty bad shape for only $30-40.
Maddick Party 2011 120.jpg

With a little elbow grease and a sanding bit I got it down to this. There was no padding inside so I lined it with red mounting tape. You can see a dent in the top of it, since this is supposed to be a genuine WWI helmet I left it as is instead of filling it. That dent might have saved someone's life or maybe it just got dropped after a well deserved night of celebration after the war, who knows?
Maddick Party 2011 119.jpg
I decided to spray -paint it but if I made another one I think I'd zinc plate it. I made the wings out of presentation board and the struts out of modeling clay. I hope to discover a resin process now that I have joined this thread.
IMG_7363.JPGIMG_7364.JPGIMG_7365.JPGIMG_7363.JPGIMG_7364.JPGIMG_7365.JPG

Okay I am happy with the helmet which was what made me jump on this. It is September now so I figured I better order the shirt and tights since the first issue had tights, not pants. Aaaand they sent me a t-shirt not a sweater, sorry sold out was the answer I got. Now it is about 2 weeks to the Halloween party and I can't get a proper sweater. The tights were too big as well but my wife sews well and they worked out after all. So all of this took place BEFORE Earth 2 Flash was introduced which made me feel comfortable enough to take liberties. I got a blue Nike runners' turtleneck that I could wear under the t-shirt. There were some company logos on the shirts I covered up with lightning bolts that matched the sweater. They were made out of yellow sheets of duct tape. To make it a little more 2011 and less 1942 I painted some sunglasses red and put lightning bolts on them. Instead of boots I sprayed some high-tops red. I liked the costume so much I wore it again in the Motor City Comic Con 2013. In 2013 I held the belt in place with foam mounting tape as it shifted rather unattractively the first time (had nothing to do with the beverages).
Maddick party flash.jpg2013-05-18_16-02-59_905.jpg

I have enjoyed this helmet so much I made a display stand for it and enjoy the memories when I see it.
2013-04-22_01-12-25_625.jpg

Attachments

• Maddick Party 2011 123.jpg
    Maddick Party 2011 123.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 194
Thank you, I was surprised at the Comic Con how many people commented on liked that it was a Golden Age costume. Already started on my Golden Age Green Lantern for next year, maybe Halloween haha,

I always liked the Golden Age characters, just a shame they don't reprint them for the kids to see these days. Especially the WW2 era ones. The helmet turned out really good.

I always liked the Golden Age characters, just a shame they don't reprint them for the kids to see these days. Especially the WW2 era ones. The helmet turned out really good.

Thanks Wes, I used to love reading all the reprints they had in the 100 pages issues in the 70's. Always been a big fan of Alice Cooper too haha.

Bizzaro Lois said:
I love Golden Age characters. It's fun to costume as them at cons, because you get great reactions.

Lois I was amazed at the reactions I got at Motor City Comic Con!!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back