Obi ANH Sabers: What do you have?

...Oh, I finally just went ahead and built the pommel for my mostly hardware Obi ANH. It didn't turn out as super and awesome as I might have hoped for, but it's finally done. Maybe I'll revisit it at some point in the future, but for now I think I'm satisfied.
I had the same problem years ago when I wanted to build an Obi-Wan-esque lightsaber hilt on a budget. I stumbled across the Lightsabers from the Big Yellow Box website, got all of the suggested parts, put 'em together, and...it looked like a hardware store lightsaber. :facepalm I subsequently replaced the emitter, clamp, and pommel with replica parts, and it looked much better. Between the original parts and the replicas I was into it for a little over $100, which blew my budget a bit, but I was satisfied with the results and it's good enough for a belt hanger.

Big yellow box sabers might not have been accurate, but they were heavy and felt impressive. I started with them too, and I still refer back to that basic construction when I make my sabers.

I had the same problem years ago when I wanted to build an Obi-Wan-esque lightsaber hilt on a budget.

Well, it's mostly a question of craftsmanship and materials. To begin with, I glued one of the cubes on a bit out of place and the bevels aren't quite right. Additionally, due to the materials I used, the dimensions are a bit off. As a result, the two steps on the open end of the "handwheel" look a little anemic next to the booster/gear. That can be corrected by straying a bit from strictly accurate by eliminating one step. I won't be 100% right, but it will LOOK better. Finally, I used metal HVAC tape instead of Bare Metal Foil, which would have looked better. Given those adjustments, the next attempt should be perfect, err... Less bad.

You guys have some impressive sabers. Im still working on grabbing the parts to make mine. Have a male balance pipe converted to female so it would be cool if I coulod get an original although that probably wont happen in the near future. Will be keeping that on the back burner. Currently looking for accurate transistors and an accurate grenade (I got one in good quality but the body itself isnt accurate and the windvane is wrong. Still not complaining though. Too much detail will kill me lol).

Currently trying to find the transistors and washers for the obi buttons and a way to connect the balance pipe to the wind vane. I know that the transistors are Motorola TO-99 but not sure how to search for them. Anyone have any recommendations?

Well, it's mostly a question of craftsmanship and materials...
I agree completely. The thing is, when we all saw "Ben" Kenobi's lightsaber for the first time (especially those of us who saw it for the first time in 1977) it looked like it was cobbled together from bits and pieces, but we didn't know what those pieces were because (for the most part) they weren't items we had encountered in our every day lives; it took years and a rather sizable (though uncoordinated) group effort to determine exactly what those pieces were. So it was easy for us to take that "leap of faith" and accept it as a lightsaber. But on the one I built following the Big Yellow Box instructions some of the parts were easily recognizable for what they were, so it ruined the "mystique" and rather than the resulting piece being "a sum of it's parts" anyone could look at it and say, "Oh, that's a sink aerator, and that's a hose clamp, and that's a pipe fitting..." So swapping those parts for ones that were less "familiar" resulted in a better finished piece. It's neither perfect nor is it in any way accurate, but I wanted something that was "similar, but different" and looked as though it had been around a while, so I'm satisfied.

I keep my first hardware saber around just because it was the start of it all. it's SO obviously Home Depot hardware it's embarrassing.

Funny thing though, the few times I've had friends kids or nephews around the collection, they always seem to gravitate toward the hardware one and, off all sabers, the Holiday special.

I don't get it.

NO interest in the AFB Obi at all.

Here is my blasphemous fully plastic one. :p *runs away*

UM_Lightsaber-20.jpg

UM_Lightsaber-1.jpg

Here is my blasphemous fully plastic one. :p *runs away*

Nonsense. If it weren't for you generously making the files available and Muttley's offer to print it (or in my case, just the windvane), I wouldn't have a complete Obi ANH to proudly display.

So it's not the definitive uber-accurate version of the venerable Obi ANH. It's given the opportunity to some to have a complete version of the saber without a substantial outlay of cash. With a little effort on their part, the can come up with exactly the version they want. You could paint it up movie accurate, AFBB, or even an ROTS inspired version.

Hey, that's an idea. Has anyone considered a ROTS style circuit board for this? That'd be keen.

Nailed it! I finally came up with an acceptable pommel for my mostly hardware Obi ANH (Although hardware seems a bit of a misnomer. "Hand fabricated" seems a more apt description.)

Anyway, for those of you foolhardy enough to make the attempt, the core is a 1 1/4" length of 1" PVC pipe, the short raised section on the end and beneath the "cubes" is 1 1/2" thin wall PVC extension pipe, and the "cubes" were cut from 1 1/2" PVC pipe (thick wall). The 1 1/2 extension pipe is cut to 1/8" and 3/4" for the end and under the "cubes" respectively, but a small section has to be cut out to reduce the diameter so it fits snugly around the 1" pipe. The "cubes" are cut from a 3/4" length of the 1 1/2" PVC pipe. I grind the long and short angles on either end of the "cube" while the pipe is still intact (somewhat like the machining process). Then cut each each "cube" from the pipe at a width of about 5/8" before grinding the side angles. Glue all the parts together and apply silver paint in the notch between the end and the ring of "cubes". Finally, apply Bare Metal Foil to the cube section, metal HVAC tape to the either end, and use a 1" metal hole plug for the end cap. Follow those instructions and you'll end up with a passable version of the AS handwheel.

Sweet Tan, but you know you can't post that informative nugget of how to build the pommel and not show pics! :)

Once I figure out out to post 'em! Honestly, I'm thinking about reviving my old site which went down when MSN/WebTV shut down. Is Wix.com any good for free web hosting?

You can use the rpf's attachment feature.

Click on the "More Reply Options" button. Scroll below the text box to the additional options> Manage Attachments>Add Files> then select which ones you want and click done.

Hope that helps.

That, or sign up with imgur and start uploading.
Do you have trouble with getting them off your camera?, sometimes getting them off and into your computer can be a pita depending on the computer/image software you have.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back