Baroness

Laika

Been doing mostly simple costumes recently (not worth a thread on here), mostly superheros in spandex (Black widow, Black Canary, Ms Marvel, Power Girl) where I would buy most of it, but make a few items such as the belt, bracelets or the shoulder pad etc but felt like doing something that was a bit more complex, but not impossible for my level of abilities, created a short list and had a think and decided to do the Baroness from G.I Joe cartons/comics/actions figures etc. But not because I was a huge fan, sorry (GI Joe actually was never very big in the UK any way), but simply because liked the look of the outfit, it looked practical and comfortable enough for con wear and felt I could actually build it. Also chose it because she wears glasses, like me, result, so don’t have to keep taking them off for photo’s etc (I don’t get along with contacts) and some versions of the costume have a sort of military utility belt thingy I can use to put my phone/money/keys/Oyster card in when I’m at a con and don’t have to carry around a handbag (another limitation of most superhero costumes). Plus I get to be a bad ass villain, wear black, carry guns and scowl a lot :)

Since the costume varies a lot I’m mostly basing my costume on a 1/6 action figure by Sideshow Collectable
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/g-i-joe-baroness-sideshow-collectibles-1000041/
(Its seems fitting to do a GI Joe costume based of an action figure)

The costume actually looks reasonable practical, I figured I could use a black catsuit and wig I already have as the base, make the armour sections my self, make up all the straps and belt etc from webbing fastened with push buckles (easily and cheaply available on ebay), sew some boot covers for the thigh boots (the action figure uses boot covers as well) and get some toy guns to accessorise with.

So far I’ve been building the armour, I built a former to shape the breastplate around by covering my torso in cling film, then applying masking tape to get the basic shape. Cut that off me and filled the out with expanding foam, but the foam distorted the shape a bit (or I’m lopsided....), so I pulled off the tape and reshaped with the a breadknife (cuts expanding foam perfectly).

Then I applied another layer of masking tape, the a thin layer of newspaper wallpaper paste papier mache and then a lot of poly filler. Then, after a lot of sanding I had a breastplate shape, ish, it was not quite as smooth as I would of liked and wasn't 100% symmetrical :(

Original plan was to heat form a double layer of worlba ( dam the stuff is expensive and I needed a big sheet) and mould it over the form I made . But it was my first go with it and well I guess there is a learning curve, as it seemed the temperature it would start to form over complex curves was only 2 degrees from melting down :( after making a lot of mess I gave up with it and went back to EVA foam which I have more experience with.

I used my favourite 6mm high density foam erm gym matt http://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-fitness-mat-761108?colcode=76110803 .Had to make the base chestplate in 5 pieces because I never could get the required curves from one, with darts in the breast cups to get the shape I wanted, which where glued with contact adhesive (similar to this guys technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho5BIBxwiPA) and reinforced with hot glue, the shapes is OK if a bit pointy (bit of a 50’s bra look going on), but the joins aren't as neat as I want, tried to tidy them up with a dremel but went a bit to far so I had a lot of filling to do. Back plate was 3 pieces and the arm and shoulder guards single ones, they where warmed with a heat gun and bent around my body to get the shape. The trim (dremeled to make it rounder) and the Cobra logos where done with thin craft foam, circular details are screw cup washers glues on.

EVA foam has to be sealed before painting (this is a topic that comes up a lot in these forums) I’ve used PVA before, but I’ve found something else :- I bought some wood sealer recently, because I had to seal some balsa I used on my Sailor Pluto time key staff,
I originally intended to get cellulose dope, but found this in my local model shop instead

http://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/pages/building.htm

It did what it said on the label and sealed the wood nicely and was easily sandable , didn’t smell bad, make me feel ill or destroy my brushes (if I washed them out with water when they where still wet, let them dry and they go solid), so I thought, does it work on foam? Turns out it does, 2 coats (dries quite quick to) and it renders the foam sealed for painting, is waterproof and lightly sandable, result Smile but I currently don’t know about the long term reliability of it, have no idea what its actually made of and it does make the foam a little stiffer, lets just say its an experiment.

Have started the long process of sanding (dislike), priming, filling etc, stared using a filler primer for plastics I got from Halfords, It seemed to work fine, initially, but on a week old test piece I think its gone quite hard and it cracks very easily, so I’ve sanded most of it off and am using regular primer instead. Plan to paint the pieces a very dark metallic grey (I want to contrast with the under suit a little and straight black wouldn’t do that) with the cobra logo’s in gloss red, so far I’ve put the last coat of primer on chest, back and arm pieces, they are not perfect, but I got bored sanding and decided to write of any more flaws as battle damage

Have just done the shoulder guards this morning, am waiting for the first coat of sealer to dry.

Todo, knee and shin guards, belt buckle, boot covers, belt and strapping

Nicely done! Your finish over a foam base is looking amazing. How did you make the cobra detailing?

The Cobra detailing is simply craft foam, as is the edging, the round bits are screw cup washers got for B&Q.

Have managed to finish the knee and leg bits and slap some paint on, 1 coat of Halfords plastic primer filler and filler and sanding and more filler and more sanding, then a coat of Citadel Chaos black as the main undercoat, rubbed down with very fine sandpaper, then a coat of Halfords Hyundai Phantom Black Metallic and a mist of Halfords Peugeot Steel grey metallic (both acrylic car touch up paint spray cans) for the main coat, I was planning doing it more steel grey like the action figure but black (ish) won me over in the end. Tamiya acrylic gloss red was brush painted on for the logos and dry brushing with Tamiya flat aluminium for details/weathering/battle damage. Battle damage was mostly to try and cover up mistakes and bad spots.

Now I have to affix about 20+straps and buckles, and there's a complex belt/webbing/holster thing to build and some faux thing boots, still loads to do. Goal is to finish it for MCM expo at the end of October

Last edited:
Put the straps and buckles on the armour, 14 buckles to do it all up, originally I wanted a line of 3 or 4 down the side to join the front and back torso parts, but after putting in two each side and trying it on I found I couldn't actually reach round and do them all up due to the rather large chest area... Decided to just use 1 each side at the bottom, can do them up easily enough.

Armour fits OK, but is a little restrictive around the knees, but I can still walk up and down stairs, just about, its the knee pad design that isn't really very good for actually walking in.

Also have been working on the belt/webbing/holsters, its rather complicated , but I think I'm almost there

There's a main belt that goes around the waist and will have bags attached, then lower straps front and rear to the holsters which will sit on my thighs, with another strap around the bottom of them to hold them to my legs and finally a strap around the crotch because erm the original model had one. Plus its got another 9 buckles, those buckles have become a sort of design feature for this outfit (if you can’t fix it, feature it....) .

I've tried to make it all adjustable and it sort of works, but it needs a few more tweaks, think I have to sneak some elastic into the thigh straps, they have to be tight, but not cut off circulation. Also have to make sure it can carry the weight of my stuff (money keys, oyster, camera, phone), plus a rubber knife and plastic sub machine gun, think it will be strong enough (The webbing and buckles take most of the weight), but I'm just not sure it will stay on me well enough.

The buckle and the holster pieces where made from PVC foam board mostly 2mm, its the first time I've used this stuff, but I'm impressed, its easy to cut, its sandable, doesn't need sealing, only takes 10 seconds under a heat gun to make it soft enough to bend, has a smooth finish and when super glued together it feels very strong, I'm going to use this stuff again, its just much precise than EVA foam.

The central buckle is in 2 parts so it can fit around the webbing they slot together but I think I'll have to glue them to make sure them don't come apart, the right hand side is a holster for an airsoft (cheap spring one) MAC 10 sub machine gun, the left holds a large knife in a sheaf, the knife is actually plastic with a rubber blade (con safe) but definitely looks the part. Need to build a sort of box/buckle thing for the back still.

Talking of weapons I've massed a few, well the Baroness isn't the type to go around unarmed.

15325618555_8b6cbcbe23_b.jpg

That’s the rubber knife (its actually a bayonet for airsoft games, hence the rubber blade) and the MAC 10. The MAC 10 came with a kit with a dummy red dot sight with a (Real!!) laser in it, a small torch and a set of plates and rails to screw on to the gun to attach it all to. I didn't like the look of most of the options, so instead I got a small section of the rail and screwed it on the right side of the gun, then took the sight and torch apart, and took the tiny laser unit out the sight and put it in the torch replacing the LED, both ran on the same power (3 tiny watch batteries) so I figured it will still work, yey and it did :) needed a bit of packing to keep the laser thingy steady but it all works) and when its mounted on the side of the gun I can reach the switch on the back with my index finger and turn the laser on. I think lasers are irrefutably cool, because I grew up in the 80's.

The rifle is a non firing Toy (£12 off Amazon) based on a Steyr AUG, I've seen pics of the Baroness with this sort of rifle so it suits. I was quite surprised when I got it though, its was bigger than I expected (for a toy) it has to be 1:1 size and fits nicely at my shoulder. And it came with another Laser/torch module, yey, more lasers :). Only thing I don't like is the dummy silencer on it, I would prefer the look with a regular barrel, so I've got a orange plastic flash suppressor from another toy and some styrene tube and am going to fabricate one.

Am going to paint both guns as well, black for the MAC 10, Black and Olive drab on the stock for the AUG and dry brush them to simulate wear and tear. But will leave the barrels bright orange for safety. Might take the spring out the MAC 10 as well to disable the firing mechanism to make it con safe (I've tested it and the BB's come out of pretty fast, could cause a bruise or even put someone's eye out).

Still got the back buckle to build and the boot covers (which involves sewing, I’m rubbish at sewing), I think will make those ankle length so I can vary what boots I wear with them, heels for photos and flats for wandering around a con.

Will have to do a test photoshoot soon.

Sewed the faux thigh boots thingys, they’re made of of 2 way stretch synthetic leather with is very awkward to sew, I had to bin my first attempt and the 2nd attempt still isn’t that neat

(they don’t look so wrinkly when they are on though)

Nearly there now, I’ve slapped some black paint on the MAC 10 and drybrushed it to make it look a bit more realistic, but think I will have to paint an orange tip on the end of it to make it con safe.

Last thing still to build is sort of buckle for the back of the belt, want to try and incorporate some elastic into the main belt as well so it stays on better.

Did a mini photoshoot and costume test

The straps around the thighs don’t want to stay put, I’ve put some elastic in there, so can probably tighten them up a bit, but don’t want to cut off circulation. Also need to change the boots and hair, neither are right, think a pair of ankle boots with mid block heel and a good fit around the ankle is what I need, and the wig should be shorter and straighter, need to shopping. Also need to loose weight :(

Outfit is more awkward that I hoped, if I drop something on the floor I can’t pick it up, and walking up stairs is a bit tricky, getting it to a con and changing is going to be difficult.

Outfit is more awkward that I hoped, if I drop something on the floor I can’t pick it up, and walking up stairs is a bit tricky, getting it to a con and changing is going to be difficult.

Welcome to the world of wearing Stormtrooper armor or a Darth Vader costume.

First, this costume is stunning. You're instantly recognizable as Baroness but this is a complicated and textured costume with lots of parts and is a real visual treat for the eyes. I love that it isn't just a body suit and a chest plate. It really looks like it's taken right out of a GI Joe comic book. Your skill set to make all these pieces from scratch is hella impressive and this is a costume to be proud of.

You look killer in this costume, I can't see a single pound you need to lose to wear this and look like a total bad-ass. Really an outstanding costume.

By the way, if you're curious what assault rifle the Baroness is using (keep in mind I'm not up to speed on G.I Joe weapons however I am familiar with real ones) the larger rifle associated with the action figure is a TAR-21, however an MTAR can also pass for it as well in some cases. It's a weapon used by the IDF in Israel, just find the one that fits your taste. You'll most likely be able to find an affordable airsoft version.

Although this is an expensive version, this is simply for example so that you can see. - Airsoft ARES TAR-21

Nearly done.

Built a sort of buckle/pod/thing that goes at the small of my back that holds the main belt, the holster straps and the crotch strap together, its not exactly like the action figures but I wanted to have some give in the belt so I designed it to hide some elastic in there joined to the webbing via rings. Its made from PVC foam board like the rest of the buckle and holsters, hope its going to be strong enough. Slightly messed up the paintwork when I was gluing it together, so over did the weathering to try and hide that, wasn’t 100%
successful.

Finished painting the weapons

The (rubber blade) knife got some dry brushing, had already painted the MAC 10, felt I went a little over the top with the weathering so toned it down a bit. The Styer AUG (well actually a toy gun called a TD-2013 that makes noises and flashes lights but doesn’t shoot anything) was remodelled a bit, I didn’t like the dummy silencer thing that came with it so built a new barrel from some Styrene tube and a flash hinder from another toy, tried to cut out a hole to fit the tube in with a craft knife, but it was hard going, the toy is made of thick plastic, so I pushed a bit to hard and the kinife slipped and gashed by finger quite deeply :( well there’s this Cosplay’s blood sacrifice. Was a bit more careful after that and managed to fit the new barrel with out loosing any limbs.

Painted it with a Citadel Chaos black (I love that paint) and Tamiya olive drab then dry brushed it Tamiya flat aluminium to weather the “metal” parts it a bit, paint splatters and mistakes weathered the “Plastic” bits.

Thanks for the info on the TAR-21 the action figure is holding BTW, the cheapest one I could find in the UK was £150 (and since I'm not an active member of an Airsoft club I would have to have it at least 50% painted in a bright colour - UK Law on airsofts is weird), but that's a bit outside my budget, so my £12 AUG will have to do, its not 100% realistic but its near enough IMHO.

Also managed to find some new cheap boots, got a bit of a heel, but its a block heel, but they have a big thick chunky tread on them so they still look a bit military, and since I don’t have to modify them I can wear them with regular clothes as well ;) Decided not to get a new wig and instead trimmed about 3 inches off the old one, tidied it up a bit and gave it a good wash in hot water to straighten it slightly, looks OK now.

Think I just want add a little strap on the SMG holster to make sure the gun it stays in, also will paint the tip of the MAC 10 it bright orange to meet con regs (don’t think I’ll take the AUG to the con anyway its to big) and then I think I’m done, which is good cause the con is next weekend. Will try to have a photoshoot with it all tomorrow

Its just about finished, last shoot before the con next weekend (MCM London Comic Con)

Spending some time in it and taking pictures identified some weaknesses that have to be fixed (that right shoulder pad has come loose and a glove has ripped) strengthened (straps on the forearm armour) and I think I can make some changes to make it a bit more mobile and comfortable such as putting in elastic in the straps on the knee pads. Also decided not to wear a corset under the catsuit, like I usually do for skin tight outfits, for comfort and mobility, anyway it really make that much of a difference under all the armour and webbing anyway, will just have eat lettuce all week .

So I think its useable, getting into and out of it and traveling (I have go on the Tube) aren't entirely straightforward but I think I can do it, will leave the rifle at home though its just to big and slightly too realistic.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back