Best Glue for leather?

kurtweinreich

Just as it says, what is the best glue for leather? I will be bonding leather to leather and possible cord to leather. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I usually just use contact cement. It's not uber-strong, but it gets the job done for most projects. It's best to stitch it as well though. On occasion I use CA glue when I need a quick fix to hold a small piece before riveting or stitching, however if you use just CA glue, the bond is actually stronger than the leather, and can tear the leather if much stress is placed on it. What's the project? Maybe that will give me a better idea of the best course of action.

Barge , or there is stuff from Wall-mart (i can only find it there for some reason) called liquid welder, that also works really well.

Tandy also has something called Tanner's bond that worked really well for me. I bought it since regular consumers cannot buy anything but the little tubes of Barge from them. You have to have some sort of commercial license to buy the larger metal cans of it.

What's the project? Maybe that will give me a better idea of the best course of action.

I am adding the details to a Batman Begins League of Shadows armor. I have the leather base armor done, but the actual pieces has extra details and stitching in the movie. I originally thought that the detail was stamped in, but is actually an extra piece of leather patterned on the edges.

The BEST way to do it would be to actually stitch the extra pieces in. I consulted with a leather tailor and the task would be very tedious and cost at least $400 to do (another nod to costume designers' work). So I am looking for a costume based alternative since my costume will not be going through the rigors of a movie shoot and these will be just details added to the leather armor itself.

Thanks for all your help.

I'll second the Tandy Leather Weld. I used it to glue the 1/4 bolo cord to the thin leather backing for my jango girth belt. Holds great.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back