Game of Thrones

CC3xlzP.jpg

I would think that I would have learned by now to not get attached to certain characters. Now who is going to tell Jon Snow that he knows nothing? :(

I had forgotten what happened to her in the books. I had to go back and check after the episode. They also understandably cut out a few days of fending off Rayder's army, and got right to Jon Snow going north.

I sure missed not seeing Tyrion, but really enjoyed the episode.

In the book, Jon shoots a number of wildlings, and later finds her body. He doesn't know whether he or another member of the Watch killed her.

I really liked the long one shot battle scene, from the time Samwell arrives back on the ground until he unlocks Ghost. Nicely done. I also liked seeing that Aliser Thorne is actually competent. So often antagonistic leaders prove to be "all hat and no cattle" - I'm glad they didn't go that route. (That Janos Slynt is a weasel is acceptable. He's smarmy even when he's in his element.)

I haven't caught up on tonight's episode yet, but I need to ask: Why are the Wildlings marching on Westeros? I think I completely missed when/if that was ever explained.

Another thing I forgot: Where is Brienne headed? I remember Podrick is with her for his own safety, to avoid Tyrion's trial; but I can't remember what Brienne's mission (if any) is right now.

I haven't caught up on tonight's episode yet, but I need to ask: Why are the Wildlings marching on Westeros? I think I completely missed when/if that was ever explained.

Another thing I forgot: Where is Brienne headed? I remember Podrick is with her for his own safety, to avoid Tyrion's trial; but I can't remember what Brienne's mission (if any) is right now.

The Wildling are marching south because south of the wall isn't a frozen wasteland filled with White Walkers. Plus they just plain hate people south of the wall. Brienne was sent by Jamie to find and protect Sansa.

The Wildings are a number of different bands and races of peoples who used to fight each other but have come together under Mance Rayder as ‘free people’ (meaning not governed by the rules and cultural norms that govern the other 7 kingdoms south of the wall) to break through to the rest of Westeros. There may be several reasons why they feel it necessary now to do so, but one reason, if I understand correctly, is because the Others (the White Walkers) are ‘waking’ and rising and pose an immanent threat to all (something that no one from the 7 kingdoms really wants to believe is possible.

Brienne was sent by Jaimie Lannister to find Sansa Stark. He gave her the sword that was made from the recast Valyrian steel that was Ned Stark's sword (symbolic, I think) and paperwork saying she is on a mission for the King. She takes Podrick with her (in the books, she meets him in a small town) as a squire and they hear rumor that a Stark girl was seen with Sandor Clegane. They do not know it was Arya, not Sansa.

It was a pretty good episode overall, but it seemed a little flat to me. It wasn't quite as epic as I had expected the battle to be. It seemed more like a small skirmish. It didn't have the sense them risking being overwhelmed and taking every last ounce of energy from every man in the night's watch just to keep them at bay. No last resort of burning the stairs to prevent the force on the other side of the wall from taking over the castle/wall-top.

There were some good parts. It was cool seeing the giants and mammoths.

Also, why didn't Gilly bother to let them know about wildlings camped on the wrong side of the wall right outside their fort? You'd think she might mention that to Sam as it was kind of important

Also, how could the Night's Watch fail to notice a whole band of wildings camped with fires burning less than a few hundred feet from their walls?

Why bother risking those two guys hanging over the wall when they had that other way to just easily take out all the guys climbing up in one fell swoop?

Strategy.....saving resources to some extent. If you can drive them back they will not know about some of the other things you can do.
I would have liked to see soem things in this epsiode and yes it fell flat with me too. Hopefully the last episode next week will be great.

It depends on whose story line you are talking about. Bran's story, Theon's story and Danny's story is in book 5 at this point and Brienne's story is in book 4 at this point. Most other's will be at the end of book 3

Also, why didn't Gilly bother to let them know about wildlings camped on the wrong side of the wall right outside their fort? You'd think she might mention that to Sam as it was kind of important

Also, how could the Night's Watch fail to notice a whole band of wildings camped with fires burning less than a few hundred feet from their walls?

Why bother risking those two guys hanging over the wall when they had that other way to just easily take out all the guys climbing up in one fell swoop?

Gilly had litterally JUST arrived at Castle Black when the fighting began. In the books, I don't think she was ever in Molestown, and this whole battle took place over several days, not in just one. The Nights Watch first battle only the Thenns and some of the Wildings. Ygritte is found just-about dead amongst many others by Jon Snow later after the fighting. I thought it was very touching the way they did it in the show though, with the little kid killing Ygritte, thinking he was saving Jon, and he killed her with his little kid's bow...gosh that broke my heart!

Mance's horde with giants and mammoths come another day in the books, I think. Be that as it may, I thought it was a wonderfully done episode, with some awesome scanning scapes of the fighting along the castle. I wonder how they did that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back