Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

Very nice, BB. Every bit as freaky as the one in the movie. And in record time. So ... what's next? -- BB

PWF: Your 3-D diagram of the bike siren is awesome. Way to go. -- BB

Very nice, BB. Every bit as freaky as the one in the movie. And in record time. So ... what's next? -- BB

Thanks!, BB, We're finishing my brother's clown and then we have to finish our bikes, which will be soon I hope, getting the clowns done has stoked the fire, and we're rolling full steam ahead!

I think the clown turned out great, billy baloney! The sound effects were a nice touch as well. I may have to do that, too- definitely adds something. The hair looks good - did you use hairspray on it?

As for updates, I went over to my parents this afternoon and finally cutout two clown frames. I had been hauling the two pieces of 4'x4' plywood in the van for almost three weeks now. I have to buy some longer pneumatic staples tomorrow, and then maybe Monday, I can get them assembled.

I think the clown turned out great, billy baloney! The sound effects were a nice touch as well. I may have to do that, too- definitely adds something. The hair looks good - did you use hairspray on it?

Thanks!, pwf, Yes, he is protected by the god of hair care.

evil clown head 2.jpg evil clown head 4.jpg

I did manage to find the time today to largely assemble the frames that I cut out on Saturday. With a little more work, I should have two completed frames and their accompanying bases.

Those look great, PWF. And Merry Christmas everyone. Just finished watching "Pee-wee's Christmas Special", my holiday tradition. The new remastered version is stunning.

Here's to finished clowns and bikes to you all in 2016. -- BB

Love the "before" and "after," billy! Hate to say it, but sorry Santa, the clown looks way more awesome.

I did end up with a pretty good Christmas gift - scored a mechanism and motor on eBay. I will likely use it on one of my new frames. Hope to get some more hardware tomorrow and start assembly!

That was a good score on the mechanism, weird that it was listed like that, why did they cut it up?, Makes wonder what happened to the rest of it?

Last edited:
Happy new year! Finally back home and not sick for a change. Hope to get some clown work done this weekend. Next tasks for me are redoing the base and working on torso plastic and padding.

On a side note, I picked up a sample of orange fur from a fly fishing shop that looks good color and length wise. Needs hairspray to clump together, and the pieces are only about 6" x 6" (although they are cheap). Might be usable, we'll see ..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451632997.837772.jpg

Although I'm ready for the holidays to be over, I did get a chance to work on a few things. Next step for me is to clean up my first clown's mechanism with some degreaser. It has a little more dirt and debris in the grease than I care for. I will then re-grease everything. Green carpet on the bases is also in the near future. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with the wheels. I've decided to go with the bicycle training wheels, but I'm not sure how I want to mount them.

Nice find on the fly fishing fur, DB! I did some quick searches, and the stuff comes in a wide variety of colors. It's supposed to be rather thick and 4" long. They make a fire orange that matches your game show clown (see pic below). We always thought the hair looked clumpy on the older clowns. They may have very well just patched it all together.

fire orange craft fur.jpg

Aye, I noticed that red color in the shop too .. looks very close to my clown's hair. The orange fur is called 'bright orange', although it looks like a lighter yellowy orange.

I've seen a lot of fly fishing hits when searching for orange fur, but just happened to be in this shop when I remembered it.

What kind of mechanism did you get? I can't get into eBay at the moment to search.

The mechanism is the same one used by all the Custom Displays robots. They actually left it attached to part of the frame. Below is a pic from the auction listing. It came with the motor as well.

mech.jpg

Found the listing today, that's great! I suspect finding mechanisms alone again will be nearly impossible.

Not much progress here yet. It's about 40 degrees, so I'm not too motivated to work in an unheated garage.

Out of curiosity, I have made an inquiry into what it would cost to scan a clown head. I also asked about scanning the inside of the head, which would create the most accurate positive buck for vacuum forming.

I did get some info back on the scan already. They said it would be easiest to scan the outside as opposed to the inside of the head. My best, original clown has hair glued to it though. I guess that I could always send one of the reproductions and then modify the resulting CAD file...

I'd really like to crack open my Custom Displays clown's head to mold the inside, but can't bring myself to do it. I have my second clown's head ready to be opened up when I get around to it (it just has the fatter neck - I was planning to fix the mold afterwards). I'd like to do the Custom Displays shoes if I can too, since they have more detail than any others I've seen.

I sent off a clown head to be scanned today. Once I get the scan back, I will get quotes for milling the halves out of wood and aluminum. I'm thinking the molds will be much cheaper than they were in the 1980s. Using 3D files with CNC machines is so common now.

Cool, hopefully the scan comes out well. If you wanted to adjust the drawing for the 'skinny neck' original clown head, I can take more photos and measurements. I definitely want to have some metal molds for vacuum forming .. since these heads are so fragile, I want to be able to make new ones in the future if necessary (besides for the movie clown I'm working on).

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back