Game of Thrones

Bunch of whiners complaining about the show. It wasn't even technically rape. Sansa chose to marry him, chose to take off her clothes, chose to let herself be bent over the bed. She never said no, she never said stop. Not only that, in the kind of society they were in, she didn't have the option either. You can't apply current and Western morals to Westeros.

Besides, it's just a show. Whiners.

Okay, let's be clear here... Dany and Drogo's wedding night in the books was not at all rapey. In the books, he was very kind and gentle and gave her every opportunity to tell him to stop. SHE is the one who actually initiates penetration in the book.

Screencaps from the kindle edition:

GoT Dany1.PNG

GoT Dany2.PNG

GoT Dany3.PNG

Last edited:
Last season's sequence with Jaime and Cersei was handled extremely poorly, in my opinion. I was waiting for it to bear fruit...and it just never did. That's a big problem, in my opinion. Hopefully it won't be repeated, but the writers don't have a great track record here.

To be fair, you usually have to wait nine months to see the fruits of the Jaime/Cersei scene, provided it took.

I am still of the opinion that this season is tedious and boring. They are trying to intertwine way too many stories in my opinion. I do understand that this is a vast world with MANY things going on at once but it's to the point that these stories are being shown to us in an unnecessarily long and overly detailed way. I get it, we need to know what happens to who causing the reaction to be this but I didn't need a 15 minute long wedding concluding with what was a painfully obvious result. The fact that people were surprised at the scene and in an uproar was hysterical to me. We are talking about a boy who has done FAR worse to FAR more people and they were shocked at the rape? People were LESS in an uproar over the fact that a BROTHER raped his SISTER in front of their INBRED SONS DEAD BODY IN A CHURCH!...I am honestly starting to lose interest in this show and unfortunately have found the books to be so overly long winded that I read a few chapters and am utterly spent. I have read full books on string theory that have been less mentally exhausting.

The complexity and intensity of this show is what makes it so intriguing to me. Books 4 and 5 did get a bit tedious in spots, but the show is most certainly not, IMO!

I don't know why everyone is calling the wedding night intercourse rape either. She expected this and consented. Plus, this kind of sexual perspective was very common in the Middle Ages. They are just playing on the 'Jus primae noctis' custom.

The horrible situation wasn't about it being rape, but about the cold and calculating way that Ramsey performed his 'right' and the fact that he insisted it was done while Theon/Reek watched. Can you imagine having to go through that with your pseudo-brother watching?

Last edited by a moderator:
The complexity and intensity of this show is what makes it so intriguing to me. Books 4 and 5 did get a bit tedious in spots, but the show is most certainly not, IMO!

I don't know why everyone is calling the wedding night intercourse rape either. She expected this and consented. Plus, this kind of sexual perspective was very common in the Middle Ages. They are just playing on the 'Jus primae noctis' custom.

The horrible situation wasn't about it being rape, but about the cold and calculating way that Ramsey performed his 'right' and the fact that he insisted it was done while Theon/Reek watched. Can you imagine having to go through that with your pseudo-brother watching?

Eh, it's pretty clearly rape in the sense that Sansa doesn't want to have sex with him. She's doing it out of obligation, yeah, but she'd hope he'd be more respectful and gentle and such, and...well...that ain't Ramsay. So, in that sense, it's "marital rape." It's consensual insofar as she consents to performing her "Wifely duties," but it's non-consensual in the sense that she doesn't want to be victimized by Ramsay in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as Sansa knows that's just how sex is. Thanks to her father-in-law, her mother wasn't around to prepare her for her wedding night. So anything she knows probably came from seeing the livestock in action.

She's probably more horrified that he ripped her wedding dress, that and the whole making Theon watch part.

She's now the poster-child for "You reap what you sow'!

It just goes to show that she's not half as smart or capable as she likes to think she is. Her problem is that she lets her emotions cloud her judgement, she's ruled by her passions and doesn't take the time to think things through our listen to the advice of others unless it's something that she wants to hear.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

It just goes to show that she's not half as smart or capable as she likes to think she is. Her problem is that she lets her emotions cloud her judgement, she's ruled by her passions and doesn't take the time to think things through our listen to the advice of others unless it's something that she wants to hear.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Why should she? She's been shielded from any repercussions from her actions since she was a child. One of the failings of this season, I think, is a missed opportunity they had with the flashback to Cersei and her little friend visiting Maggie the Frog. There's far more to the scene in the book, and the immediate aftermath of it that really drives home the fact that Cersei's a spoiled little bitch and has been from the time she was very young.

In the books, her little friend asks if she'll marry Jaime because, of course, she's in love with him. who wouldn't be? He's handsome, charming, and the heir to Casterly Rock.

So, question/answer goes like this:
Melara: Will I marry Jaime?
Maggy: Not Jaime, nor any other man, Worms will have your maidenhead. Your death is here tonight, little one. Can you smell her breath? She is very close.
On the way home, Cersei pushed Melara into a well to her death because she dared covet Jaime's affections. This is a girl of perhaps 7 or 8 at the time?

Yeah. Cersei's evil. Anyone who doubts that is deluded.

As much as I dislike Cersei and want to see her get whats coming to her, I dislike the High Sparrow and his followers even more. I'd really like to see something awful happen to all of them.

As much as I dislike Cersei and want to see her get whats coming to her, I dislike the High Sparrow and his followers even more. I'd really like to see something awful happen to all of them.

Couldn't agree more with this! This is so much like the Spanish Inquisition.

Regarding tonight's episode, Hardhome, I was on the edge of my seat in that battle sequence...WOW!
I just read that it took 4-5 weeks to shoot that 20-minute sequence, and they only filmed 1 minute or so of footage a day. When I read that, I related it to the slow, incrimental steps of building a complex prop piece.... makes it seem all the more awsome!

That.

Was.

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, they are horrible fanatics. I kind of hope they die. Harshly.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back