Galileo Restoration Update

Linnear

Galileo Enters Restoration Phase

543905_287922031331126_1623643462_n.jpg

The Shuttlecraft Galileo has been moved from storage in Ohio, where it has been for 20+ years to Master Shipwrights, a professional boat restoration facility in New Jersey where it will undergo a massive, ground-up restoration.

The decision to use Master Shipwrights was two fold:

1) It was decided a boat restorer was the perfect entity to restore the Galileo. Galileo was built by Gene Winfield in the 1960s of wood on a metal frame. A boat builder has expertise in working in these materials.

2) We needed the Galileo restored in a facility close to Adam, who is undertaking the entire cost of the restoration by himself. This way Adam can monitor the entire process

While the move itself from Ohio was uneventful, the Galileo, and Master Shipwrights were victims of Hurricane Sandy, which hit New York in October. Master Shipwrights facility was flooded with two feet of water. Fortunately, Galileo was up on a trailer and was unaffected! How terrible would it have been to make it through 45 years of travel and neglect to suffer a dismal fate in a hurricane?

386577_287922131331116_1253386162_n.jpg

Master Shipwrights, owner Hans Mikaitis

544017_287922061331123_1888208667_n.jpg

Down to the metal frame as the wood gets replaced where needed.

215688_287922107997785_592158012_n.jpg

Hans and his crew are working to a very high standard. Recently, the process of restoring the Galileo was reviewed by the curator of one of the largest air and space museums in the country and we were told Hans and his team were doing EXACTLY what a museum expects in a restoration of this type. So you know Galileo is getting the treatment it deserves.

And Galileo was noted in a New York Times article naming the Galileo one of the top 10 most interesting items at auction in 2012.

More to come, so stay tuned!

Alec and Adam

Hope this satisfies those that asked about her recently. We are making good progress and working through some of the thornier issues.

Just an observation but did you guys bother to remove all the rust on the metal frame and then seal it? It looks like in the photos your just applying wood right over rusted metal. You do know these will continue to deteriorate? Least in the photos it looks like rust all over the frame.....if I'm wrong then my apologies.

As someone that has worked in the boat building business I think that she is in better than ever hands. It also seems kind of fitting that a boat builder is restoring her as she is a fine ship indeed.I hope to see her someday.I would like to wish all of the best to those involved in this project.

This is one of those things that gets to me & that I LOVE about this community. I'm a huge TOS fan & when I read about this thing mouldering in some lot a while back I was astonished & a little heartbroken. I'm so glad that some of the folks here got their hands on it, (for a hefty cost even), to bring her back to life. Won. Der. Ful.

So happy the Galileo is being returned to her prime after all these years. That poor ship has been through a lot. :thumbsup

GeneWinfield1_zpsa3a878ee.jpg

I did a video interview with Galileo builder and custom hot rod legend Gene Winfield last week. Just a little tidbit. The video came out amazing and we learned a few things to boot!

Alec

Are the long term plans changing?
If I recall I think it was to tour for a while and possibly finally find a
final museum home?
Or is auction possible once the resto is completed?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back