An alternative order for viewing the Star Wars OT and prequels

On paper the Machete Order sounds very plausible and kind of exciting, but watching in that order after seeing all the films in release order, won't change my feelings much.

Interesting idea. I'd like to try it.

I'm not saying anything new, but it's just a shame that George couldn't give us three movies that lived up to the first three so we wouldn't have to come up with things like this. :)

I think it's brilliant and can't wait to try this order. All of his arguments make perfect sense. I actually felt myself getting kind of excited about the whole idea. And I haven't been excited by SW in a looooong time. A long time.

So... am I understanding this correctly that the only real reason to view the films in this jumbled order is that Lucas stuck Hayden Christensen's ghost at the end of ROTJ? :lol :behave

I mean... I get treating the prequels as a "flashback", but a four hour flashback? :confused

Kevin

i prefer the "Prequels dont ****ing Exist" order

Careful. That kind of talk ain't tolerated 'round these parts...

I think it's brilliant and can't wait to try this order. All of his arguments make perfect sense. I actually felt myself getting kind of excited about the whole idea. And I haven't been excited by SW in a looooong time. A long time.

I actually had a similar reaction of "Neat! That might actually be kinda cool. Or at least not as bad." It's an interesting narrative approach, anyway.

So... am I understanding this correctly that the only real reason to view the films in this jumbled order is that Lucas stuck Hayden Christensen's ghost at the end of ROTJ? :lol :behave

I mean... I get treating the prequels as a "flashback", but a four hour flashback? :confused

Kevin

Nah, I don't think that's the only reason (although it makes Hayden's ghost in the ROTJ SE less awful). It's more about putting weaker films where they'll be more effective: immediately showing Anakin's fall after Vader's reveal, rather than spoling it by watching the films in order. Its like the Paris bit in Casablanca :)

I wonder if it works better with the SE (since if you shuffle them together, the tonal shift would be jarring). Or if you use the OOT, the PT looks even more "idealized fairytale" in comparison. Mmmmmm.

He makes some very valid points.

This order avoids spoiling the big moments of the films and puts things in better context for someone new coming in.

Still though, I'm glad I saw them the way I did. There was a time when I was happy to say that there wasn't such thing as a bad Star Wars movie. (Some would argue that but I enjoy all three of the originals)

That...actually works! :confused I think it may sound strange but if you do it that way and remake Ep 1 you could call it a complete series.

You could also fill in/fix some of the holes in one,like having Sidous mention Maul's death is a surprise but he has another to take his place (for now) and maybe make Anakin a bit older,say ten or eleven and maybe a a bit meaner and less "cute" you could also make the intro to Ep.1 an older Luke going through files to see just what happened and how his father became Vader.

Hrm...Lucas maybe needs to read this.

I shared that story around the workplace today, and it got very positive feedback from the "slightly more than casual, but not fanatic nor apathetic" Star Wars fans.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back