Any films you are SICK of hearing about on the RPF or sick of seeing props from?

I'm always surprised how popular the "Alien" stuff is.

The darker sci-fi is interesting & creative to me as an adult. But if I didn't fall in love with (at least the franchise itself) before the age of about 13 then I don't care enough to want replicas of things.

Look around at the fanboy/fangirl world, and you notice what's most popular is usually the R-rated aspects of what are basically PG franchises.

So, here's what I think is up with that, based largely on speculation. :)

My guess is that pepakura -- which I understand is just layered paper -- is in many ways more cost-effective for folks. Or at least it is in theory. I mean, all you need is paper, right? You don't need a vacuform table, you don't need a well-ventilated garage where you can do all this stuff, you don't need a metal lathe where you can machine this or that, you just need a computer and a printer and a crapload of paper. Same deal with foam. I don't know if it's a more forgiving medium, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was related to it as well.

I do agree that it is a much easier method for some folks who don't have the tools or space or even the same level of craftsmanship. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. For some people, it's a great starting place to get into prop making. Everybody has to start somewhere. My problem is when people won't challenge themselves to go the next step. I feel that pepakura promotes a lot of laziness in people who have real talent. It's a shortcut.

I've seen some pretty terrible pepakura and I've seen some that I would never have guessed were pep. It takes a lot of talent and skill to finish a piece like that to make it flawless. And I've seen people who do absolutely beautiful pieces from pepakura that very clearly have the talent to scratch build anything they wanted. And I've confronted some people on that and the response is always"It's just easier" or "It's faster". They would rather take a huge shortcut than truly make something themselves and that is very sad to me.

The art of scratch building is what I absolutely love about this hobby. Seeing people create something with their own hands. And to see people with true talent and skill not use it to their full advantage, to not push themselves to refine and master their skills, is just such a shame.

So you're suggesting if people on the internet see a topic they don't like, they just... walk away? :unsure It'll never catch on :D

I KNOW!!,,, It's like saying to just not watch a television show that you find offensive...How DARE people say that??!??!

Honestly I am not sick of anything. If I see something that interests me I look if not then I just cruise on by.

I do agree that it is a much easier method for some folks who don't have the tools or space or even the same level of craftsmanship. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. For some people, it's a great starting place to get into prop making. Everybody has to start somewhere. My problem is when people won't challenge themselves to go the next step...

Before this is kabashed and this thread becomes another one of those threads: I just wanted to say you hit it on the head; I feel the exact same way about this and 3D printing (albeit, the former being the most cost effective). I think both are wonderful tools to get people who are genuinely curious into this hobby. I don't agree that it encourages laziness as both methods still require a certain amount of tenacity and skill to get looking really good. If I grew up in this generation where things are done mostly digitally now, I'd have lapped up the opportunity to play with 3D rendering/printing and modeling pepakura. For me, analogue (by hand) is still more comfortable to work in, though dated it seems to be now.

What my problem is is that whilst it encourages people to join in the fun, and those who like to take it to the next step; it also concurrently presents safety and that's where I think people get stuck. You know that if you do the work, and get good at it, it'll come out looking just like the original model intended to look. It'll look like the movie's and everyone else's for that matter, who also downloaded the same file. For many, that's a good place to be. For me, I like variations that just happen if something is scratch-built; even if something is made to look exactly as it appeared elsewhere, that item absorbs a character, a sense of humanism, just from osmosis. I also like pushing my own boundaries, if there is more and if it's in my reach, then I'm going to go out and try it. I've tried printing and I've tried pep; they both lack that feeling for me and that's all it boils down to. How far do you want to reach and do you like it?

ON THE SUBJECT AT HAND: Anything popular and begins to flood the forums with identical builds, that's a bit tedious. Above them all, though, I will concede that I have no interest in Iron Man builds now unless it is actually being made from high-strength, light-weight metal alloys with all the accouterments (jets, rockets, AI assisted UI, laser cannons, etc) and powered on a palm-sized arc reactor.

It gets on my nerves how people still rag on Return of the Jedi, stating that the Ewoks were put in to sell Star Wars licensed teddy bears, but no one bats an eye at a series of movies that has 42 variations on a single set of armor to sell toys.

Last edited:
It gets on my nerves how people still rag on Return of the Jedi, stating that the Ewoks were put in to sell Star Wars licensed teddy bears, but no one bats an eye at a series of movies that has 42 variations on a single set of armor to sell toys.

YES. This. I friggin' LOVE ROTJ.

I don't agree that it encourages laziness as both methods still require a certain amount of tenacity and skill to get looking really good....

...it also concurrently presents safety and that's where I think people get stuck. You know that if you do the work, and get good at it, it'll come out looking just like the original model intended to look. It'll look like the movie's and everyone else's for that matter, who also downloaded the same file. For many, that's a good place to be.

I guess laziness isn't necessarily the right word. "Comfortable" maybe? I just get a sense of "I've mastered this medium, no need to pursue anything else".

I had a whole long post typed out but I just deleted it all because I don't wish to further derail everything. I will just say that I agree with everything you said and leave it at that :)

Back on topic! For a loooooooong time everything was Jack Sparrow and Dark Knight Joker and I. WAS. SICK. OF. IT. I can appreciate it now(well, Jack at least. TDK Joker still gets on my frickin' nerves) but at the time I just wanted it go away :lol

...For a loooooooong time everything was Jack Sparrow and Dark Knight Joker and I. WAS. SICK. OF. IT. I can appreciate it now(well, Jack at least. TDK Joker still gets on my frickin' nerves) but at the time I just wanted it go away :lol

Oh, yeah: seconded. TDK Joker, especially. While I can appreciate the details, the worst part of that happening to the Joker (I'm talking general sense) was that anybody could slop on some pancake make up and some smeared lip stick and said they "were the Joker". I still regard Nicholson as my favorite of the live-action portrayals, if nothing more for the complexity of his make-up and the work you'd have to put into it to pull it off.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Prometheus doesn't get brought up anymore. Well, at least by itself.

All for the best that it stays forgotten.

The Mal anything. I don't know what it is... Mal pistol mostly, haha! Also something has always bugged me about the term GREEBLIES. Why couldn't they have just been called detail pieces or something?

Me too :lol
I hate the term Greeblie.

3D PRINTING. At this point, I feel like it's cheating. Let's add pepekuraorhoweveryouspellit to the list also.

Edit:
Okay, I realize those aren't movies or franchises so I'll say Iron Man as well.

I don't have a problem with 3D printing because it's just another tool. The problem I do have with it is people just printing out a part and not finishing it. They just paint it up as their finished, albeit crappy, prop. Sand and fill that thing please!

Nothing really bugs me, but I will admit to skipping a lot of SW threads. There's only so many different lightsaber builds that are interesting. After the 1,000 Vader lightsaber thread I just skip it.

Yes! Iron Man and Nolan TDK "Bobblehead" Batsuit. They could practically rename this forum the Iron Man suit forum since those threads are starting to feel like the only things people make and give any attention to. What's really annoying is the fact that I've yet to see anything that wasn't from the movie version. Extremis suit? Yes...oh wait, that's the same damn helmet as in the movies.

As for the Nolan stuff, god that's the ugliest Batsuit I have ever laid eyes on.

I hate those series on the RPF called "How I Recast Your Mother", or "StarRecast", Back To The Recast" and my fav: " Iron Recast"...wait, you meant films?:rolleyes None people, keep on building for Heaven sake's and have fun doing it!!

Oh, yeah: seconded. TDK Joker, especially. While I can appreciate the details, the worst part of that happening to the Joker (I'm talking general sense) was that anybody could slop on some pancake make up and some smeared lip stick and said they "were the Joker".

Oh my God, and do they ever :facepalm I remember DragonCon the year TDK came out. You couldn't look ANYWHERE without seeing one. And all the damn lip licking and smacking...

I don't have a problem with 3D printing because it's just another tool. The problem I do have with it is people just printing out a part and not finishing it. They just paint it up as their finished, albeit crappy, prop. Sand and fill that thing please!

There's a guy in our local Star Wars group that's like this. He buys the ****tiest, recast of a recast of a recast kits off of ebay and assembles them as-is out of the box. No sanding, no filling, HE DOESN'T EVEN PRIMER. It KILLS me :wacko

...I mostly ignore the threads, that doesn't interest me :)
...There's this neat trick I learned, it's called not clicking on a thread if you're not interested in the content. :lol
...Honestly I am not sick of anything. If I see something that interests me I look if not then I just cruise on by.
This, this, and this. For as long as I've been a member here there have been threads about subjects I have zero interest in, so I don't read them; it actually saves quite a bit of time. :lol Yeah, there's a lot of repetition here, but that tends to happen with a forum like this where the members are clearly passionate about their fascinations of choice. But I'd rather have an overload of information than have only a handful of threads that are next to useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back