Etching circles into steel without heavy machinery

PropReplicator2

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Can it be done at home? I have a dremel etcher that could work. The metal is very thin steel sheet that needs to have multiple circles engraved into it.

Any ideas??

Ferric chloride would also work. You'll need to paint the areas you don't want etched with a resist, machinists layout fluid works well but so does nail polish if it's not a big piece. Brush it on and it will etch the exposed metal.

Ferric chloride would also work. You'll need to paint the areas you don't want etched with a resist, machinists layout fluid works well but so does nail polish if it's not a big piece. Brush it on and it will etch the exposed metal.
Its not a big piece at all. Its. Rogue One data card. I think I'll be using nail polish since I have it at home.

Something as simple as a nail through a small piece of wood or a ruler can be used to etch circles as long as you tape or glue down a central pivot point. Many have used this to etch the lines for Captain America shields.

Something as simple as a nail through a small piece of wood or a ruler can be used to etch circles as long as you tape or glue down a central pivot point. Many have used this to etch the lines for Captain America shields.
I used this method on my captain America shield as well but it doesn't seem to work with this prop. The lines are simply to close together and you can't get a grip.

I used this method on my captain America shield as well but it doesn't seem to work with this prop. The lines are simply to close together and you can't get a grip.

You can reverse your thinking and rotate the disc under a fixed etching tool (sharp nail). You just need a turntable that rotates. Think of the setup like that of a record player.

You can reverse your thinking and rotate the disc under a fixed etching tool (sharp nail). You just need a turntable that rotates. Think of the setup like that of a record player.
Good idea. I think I'll go with the acid etching Idea though as that is something I can let sit for a while while I work on something else.

Electroetching is really cool. I started experimenting with it 2 days ago. I'm still fine tuning the results, but so far, I'm amazed. How did I not learn this years ago?
IMG_0541.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back