Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

Impossible to really tell since all pictures are in the dark or it's overcast or smokey even in the drone shots.
Most look closer to #22 on my monitor.

I think you're closer, it looks a bit darker than what I first thought. (thanks always nice to see/read others ideas)

Haha Neo, I hope so. Some one needs to take a bunch of pics or I will go mad getting screen caps from SW BF rogue one expansion. they are really keeping the rebels under wraps.

Hey Elr have you printed the boxes?

I think you're closer, it looks a bit darker than what I first thought. (thanks always nice to see/read others ideas)

Haha Neo, I hope so. Some one needs to take a bunch of pics or I will go mad getting screen caps from SW BF rogue one expansion. they are really keeping the rebels under wraps.

Hey Elr have you printed the boxes?

Not yet unfortunately. I can Monday though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why rotocast this piece? You'd save so much time and material making a two piece mold.. in simple terms..take the "bowl".. clay off the part to the desired thickness, and make a plug.
You up seem to be hung up on Free Form Air as well. A simple mold like this really wouldn't need it.. stick to fiberglass. It is strong enough on its own to make a working mother mold.
Side note, the amount of clay has nothing to do with whether or not silicone will cure. It has everything to do with what's in the clay. As long as you have a sulpher free clay (Monster Clay, or even better White Clay) you can block off the top and mold without issue.

I'd be happy to walk you through the process or answer any questions you have.. anything to help. :)

you know... I'm wondering. when casting this the dome shield is holo. i plan on making a mold that i can slush cast. so its basically making this dome shield solid at the top and when turned upside down it acts like a bowl. i dont know if using that large amount of clay will give the silicone a hard time curing...

A great idea, in theory. However, and this may sound counter intuitive, but believe it or not an indent like that will use more resin than a simple dome shape.. surface area, and all that. That also goes for materials in molding as well.

Quick sketch of the indented mold.
View attachment 677280

I wouldn't recommend using a real helmet as a plug, simply because it is metal. In theory there are no undercuts to lock them together, and you can "grease it up," but having hard metal contact hard resin scares me. You could make a proper mold and plug with three trial kits of Rebound and some fiberglass. Costs could be as low as a few hundred bucks.. definitely not $500.

Last edited:
The rubber training band ended up being to big and too thick!

I found something new that seems spot on though!

WESCO Rubber ring for garbage bags. I'll be recieving mine this week. I'll post when I get them!

rubber-band-for-bins-liners-e08.jpg

Why rotocast this piece? You'd save so much time and material making a two piece mold.. in simple terms..take the "bowl".. clay off the part to the desired thickness, and make a plug.
You up seem to be hung up on Free Form Air as well. A simple mold like this really wouldn't need it.. stick to fiberglass. It is strong enough on its own to make a working mother mold.
Side note, the amount of clay has nothing to do with whether or not silicone will cure. It has everything to do with what's in the clay. As long as you have a sulpher free clay (Monster Clay, or even better White Clay) you can block off the top and mold without issue.

I'd be happy to walk you through the process or answer any questions you have.. anything to help. :)

A great idea, in theory. However, and this may sound counter intuitive, but believe it or not an indent like that will use more resin than a simple dome shape.. surface area, and all that. That also goes for materials in molding as well.

I wouldn't recommend using a real helmet as a plug, simply because it is metal. In theory there are no undercuts to lock them together, and you can "grease it up," but having hard metal contact hard resin scares me. You could make a proper mold and plug with three trial kits of Rebound and some fiberglass. Costs could be as low as a few hundred bucks.. definitely not $500.

i was looking at silicone it's 200 bucks just for the silicone, the resin isn't far behind that, then i have to buy stuff for the mother mold. i have 500 bucks easy in making this setup

like i've said i'm trying to do this small run for all of us at cost. i do not want to make any profit off this keeping it the least expensive really helps me because i'm fronting the bill for all the materials

if you would be willing to hold my hand through this i would be eternally grateful.

again this would be my largest mold i ever made. i've all done small proton pack greeblies parts before

edit: i was thinking of using a plastic bowl and cutting it up to use as a plug for the dome shield. what do u think of that

i was looking at silicone it's 200 bucks just for the silicone, the resin isn't far behind that, then i have to buy stuff for the mother mold. i have 500 bucks easy in making this setup

like i've said i'm trying to do this small run for all of us at cost. i do not want to make any profit off this keeping it the least expensive really helps me because i'm fronting the bill for all the materials

if you would be willing to hold my hand through this i would be eternally grateful.

again this would be my largest mold i ever made. i've all done small proton pack greeblies parts before

edit: i was thinking of using a plastic bowl and cutting it up to use as a plug for the dome shield. what do u think of that

Im here with yah man! Bout to spend more time than money on my side of the project though. Im hand sewing everyones fabric helmet cover due to not owning a sewing machine. Im in this project to say i did rather than to make a profit.

Here if you need me!

Alex

Im here with yah man! Bout to spend more time than money on my side of the project though. Im hand sewing everyones fabric helmet cover due to not owning a sewing machine. Im in this project to say i did rather than to make a profit.

Here if you need me!

Alex

the website i used for ordering the silicone, resin, mother mold material, tint and hardener may be a expensive site? all the youtube videos i've watched recommend the site, maybe there is another way of purchasing the materials? i'll have to wait and hear back

if there is a cheaper route i'm all for it, as long as it's the same brand name material

what i love about this site is the community, and how you can learn something new every day!

the website i used for ordering the silicone, resin, mother mold material, tint and hardener may be a expensive site? all the youtube videos i've watched recommend the site, maybe there is another way of purchasing the materials? i'll have to wait and hear back

if there is a cheaper route i'm all for it, as long as it's the same brand name material

what i love about this site is the community, and how you can learn something new every day!

Ill look at prices here in abilene and PM you later. I might be able to get it all to you cheaper.

Alex

I'd be fine with making a down payment or full pre-payment to help cover setup costs if you opened up an interest thread in the junkyard. I'm very interested in getting one before the film premieres so if pre-paying helps move that along, I'm all for it.
I mean, I don't have any skills to offer but I can help ease the financial burden. I'm sure others would, too.

Phew I hope they have some good pics of the Helmet on the star wars show and disney thing this week then! I really hope I can sort out the armor to an accurate level and check a test print and send it to Elr02 in time for Halli to cast we might get a few out!

Last edited:
honestly guys i would love to pump these suckers out before the premier but theres no way possible now for me to do this. i broke my finger on my right hand, its been out of the splint just a few days. im going to have to go back for X-rays thursday.. i may have something wrong with a ligament... as of today i still have pins and needles in it... , i and not to be graphic, i hit my finger on my coffee table yesterday. with out the aluminum split protecting it it broke the skin and black blood gushed out of it.. the smell was nasty.. these new X-rays i guess are going to see if the bone is infected.. idk really whats going on anymore

i was told a 2 week recovery from the emergency room, now its looking a little bit more seriously then a little booboo..

i still plan on doing this dome shields, i just dont think theres any way for me to do this before dec 16th :(

honestly guys i would love to pump these suckers out before the premier but theres no way possible now for me to do this. i broke my finger on my right hand, its been out of the splint just a few days. im going to have to go back for X-rays thursday.. i may have something wrong with a ligament... as of today i still have pins and needles in it... , i and not to be graphic, i hit my finger on my coffee table yesterday. with out the aluminum split protecting it it broke the skin and black blood gushed out of it.. the smell was nasty.. these new X-rays i guess are going to see if the bone is infected.. idk really whats going on anymore

i was told a 2 week recovery from the emergency room, now its looking a little bit more seriously then a little booboo..

i still plan on doing this dome shields, i just dont think theres any way for me to do this before dec 16th :(

Yikes, that doesn't sound fun. I hope you get better soon!

thanks guys, it's easier for me to type on my phone but sucks to see lol damned if i do damned if i don't...

canister, when u design the dome shield is there any way possible to make it a complete some top? maybe leave a recess about the lip of the dome shield so it makes a easy to follow cutting line?

if it was a complete dome, or had a flat top to it it would be a lot easier for me to cast, but a lot harder for you to print

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back