Gonk Droid in a day! Dark Side of the Force

FrightMaker

Okay - I may continue to tinker with this project for some time, but the goal was to create my Gonk Droid while I finalize the Speeder Bike today. Although this isn't considered an exact replica from the movies, I figured this is the Mark IX model from Tatooine.

I made this Gonk for the Halloween event this year and so here's how one way to rapidly make this guy in just a few hours...

Let's do this!

n6Yf8WwF8RaDpVWFGCD6dNK7qSQGFCzZN7bkQ=w426-h757-no.jpg

Last edited:
I began by making two supply run trips to get the parts - Home Depot and the Goodwill! At HD - I picked up 2 storage tubs & dryer hose. At the Goodwill, I picked up an aluminum serving tray approximately 10" wide. I already had some plumbing pieces, PVC, screws, paint tray, and paint, but you could pick these up at HD if necessary.

Total cost: $16.50 - 2 Tubs and the tray

20160804_101336.jpg

The aluminum serving tray acts as the "face" of the Gonk - a number of little greeblie items are collected to see what we have... Washers, plumbing parts, yogurt cups, etc all have interesting possibilities.

20160804_102414.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Starting from the bottom - up. Using lengths of PVC pipe with small T-joints get screwed into the bottom of a wooden base that provides a solid foundation for this little guy.

20160804_110227.jpg

Drop the dryer vent duct "legs" over the top.

20160804_110923.jpg
- - - Updated - - -

Drill some holes through the tub for the legs to protrude through and then cap it off with another piece of PVC. I secured this piece of PVC from the bottom with 3, 3" wood screws so the body doesn't slide down to the feet.

20160804_111424.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The feet were made from a plastic paint tray that was sawed in half. A large circle was cut out for the dry vents and the insides gaps were eventually hot-glued with a piece of stiff foam core.

20160804_113916.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Feet were painted with various colors of spray paint...

20160804_153033.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A large hole was cut into the top tub so the aluminum tray could sit recessed. A number of plumbing greeblies were glued on and other items screwed in place on the front and sides.

20160804_155912.jpg
20160804_155905.jpg
20160804_155914.jpg

20160804_155919.jpg

A small antenna and the yogurt cups were installed with some left over hosing from the speeder bike. After some streaks of spray paint, he's mostly ready to start charging off. I'll probably do some minor brush painting to bring out some details, but overall, he's ready for Halloween!

20160804_155928.jpg

20160804_155937.jpg

n6Yf8WwF8RaDpVWFGCD6dNK7qSQGFCzZN7bkQ=w426-h757-no.jpg

Attachments

• 20160804_155937.jpg
    20160804_155937.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 567
  • 20160804_155928.jpg
    20160804_155928.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 906
Last edited:
Looks like a fun build. :)

If I could make one suggestion? Is it possible to make the legs shorter? If you were able to half the length of the legs it would look much more accurate. :thumbsup

Looks like a fun build. :)

If I could make one suggestion? Is it possible to make the legs shorter? If you were able to half the length of the legs it would look much more accurate. :thumbsup
I was thinking the same thing as well - I'll shave off some height to make him more squatty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dude, I'm loving your builds! So efficient and the final pieces are so cool! :thumbsup

after seeing this, a gonk driod may have just worked its way onto my "need-to-do" list.

Damn that things gorgeous for such a quick build. I'm not even technically done with mine and I started it back in like, January.... Still gotta attach the legs somehow.

Hey Karmajay - glad you liked it! It goes together pretty quick once you have all the parts ready. Thank goodness for storage bins!! ;)

I see you have plenty of Star Wars stuff. If I ever make an Ikea trip to Charlotte expect a knock on the door! ;)

I see you have plenty of Star Wars stuff. If I ever make an Ikea trip to Charlotte expect a knock on the door! ;)

Cool - Let me know ahead of time and I'll make sure the SpeederBike is gassed up! We do a big Halloween project every year and this year will be "The Dark Side of the Force" - should be fun! Just praying there's no rain on the big night!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back