Fake Prop Rusty Barbed Wire Tutorial (Cheap and Simple!)

Viverra

Hi All! I wanted to make a quick prop for an upcoming photoshoot and decided on a barbed baseball bat from Fallout 4. The tutorials I found online mostly used twine or string, and I didn't like how it looked. I didn't like the fake ones I saw online or in stores, either. I wanted the barbed wire to be more realistic so I came up with my own method and decided to make a tutorial to share with others!

Barbed Baseball Bat Reference.jpg

If you'd like to see more of my work, I am most active on my Facebook page, Viverra Cosplay, so feel free to follow me there! Thanks! <3

Things you will need:
  1. 2mm Brown Round Leather Lace (cording): To determine how much you will need, use the formula 2x+(4(x/5)); Where x=the desired finished length in INCHES. It is 2 times the amount needed plus the amount for the barbs which are every 5 inches and 4 inches in length.(Example: if you need 20 inches of finished barb wire, you'd plug that into x so it would be 2*20+(4(20/5) -> Order of operations -> 2*20+(4*4) -> 2*20+(16) ->40+16 = 56 inches of cording needed for 20 inches of finished barbed wire. I HOPE THAT MADE SENSE I LIKE MATH SORRY LOL (Side note, if you want shiny new barbed wire you may be able to find silver cording!)
  2. Loctite super glue
  3. Something to pull the cord taut while you attach the barbs. I used clamps onto two desks.
  4. Small clamps
  5. Brown acrylic paint
  6. Rust colored acrylic paint
  7. Small paint brush
  8. A paper towel

Here is the cord I used. I got it from Hobby Lobby.
1.jpg

First, we are going to cut out our barbs. Take the end of the formula from above to determine how much you need to put aside for the barbs; 4(x/5). In my example, it was 16 inches for the barbs if I wanted 20 inches in finished length. So take that amount and cut it into 4 inch strips. Make sure to cut at an angle to give it the look of a point.
3.jpg2.jpg

Now go back to the remaining amount of cording. Super glue the ends together and then clamp the end to a desk.
4.jpg

Start twisting the cords together by moving them around each other - try not to roll the cording. You want to be able to let it go and it doesn't uncurl.
6.jpg5.jpg

Once it's all twisted, attach the other end to a solid object like another desk with another clamp to keep it taught.
7.jpg

Now we will start to attach the barbs. For this, dab a small amount of super glue on where you want your barb to be (every 5 inches). Take the 4 inch barb you cut and wrap it around several times so that it looks like a barb. (I don't have a picture of the wrapping process because it is tricky to wrap it around the super glue without getting it on your hands!) Be very careful not to get super glue on your fingers because you can easily glue your fingers together! You might need to add more super glue to hold it on place. Once you get it wrapped, place a small clamp over the barb to keep it in place while it dries.
10.jpg8.jpg

Measure out 5 inches and repeat this process all the way down the twisted cord.
9.jpg

Once all the barbs are on, the inside of the leather cording shows which is tan in color and throws things off a bit. To remedy this, dab a small about of brown acrylic paint onto the point.
11.jpg

Now all that's left is to add the rust effect! Take a rust colored acrylic pant and dab it on the wire. Take a paper towel and dab the paint off to the desired amount of rust.
14.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

AND THAT'S IT! It's a pretty simple process!
20160315_201139.jpg20160315_201116.jpg20160315_201154.jpg

On the baseball bat which I will weather separately!
20160315_201448.jpg

I hope this helps you all make fake, cheap, and con safe barbed wire!

It looks great. At first I was like, why not just buy real barb wire, but the diameter of the wire would probably be too big.

Very nicely done! I've got a Louiseville Slugger that I'd set aside for a Lucille conversion - may take a crack at it using this technique.

Youre very, very close to how its done in the industry except swap out the cord for rubber and the glue for a shot with a heat gun. Then just dust with silver rattle cap paint and give it a quick wash with rust color. Ive had to make thousands of feet of the stuff at a time. One of the worst items to make however is razor wire, never accept a job making rubber razor wire.

He mentioned that he wants it to be con safe as in safe to take to conventions.

I'm a she, but yes! I am also accident prone, so real barbed wire around me is not a good idea xD I figured there are a lot of people that could use fake barbed wire for various things, too. :)

Great tuto! I was trying to keep my neighbour off my property with a cheap fence, but now I'll put your work into good use:D

Excellent work on the fake barbed wires, they look incredibly real and its pretty awesome that they're convention safe. Love following your work on here and instagram!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back