Star Wars The Force Awakens Soundtrack

Yeah- take something that you do best, and not even the best in the ENTIRE WOLD- just something you do best. In your own little world. Now if you are 40, call me in 40 years and tell how good you are at it.

Makes me crazy when people say his skills or ideas have diminished. Of course they have! I'll bet Tom Brady won't be able to throw as tight a spiral in 40 years, but he'll still be pretty accurate.

Brian

On second viewing, I really picked up on the whimsical, fantasy elements to this score. It could have been an 80s flick, like Willow. Different, subdued, but I definitely have no complaints. But again, count me as thinking the PT music was often overcooked.

I have to admit that the music was probably one of my biggest disappointments with the film and that was shocking to me. I love John Williams and while the work was technically fine, I couldn't think of a single new theme or motif that was memorable or "hummable". I bought the soundtrack and have listened to it several times and I'm almost to the point where I wonder if he didn't compose as much as we're led to believe. It's that noticeable to me. I mean, I know he's 83 but he's done work in the last few years that I thought was good. It's not like he came out of retirement to compose for the first time since 2005. Nothing to do with composing but I know he at least had some "guest" conductors do some of the symphony work. Gustavo Dudamel apparently did the opening fanfare and I instantly thought it sounded off even the first time I heard it. Only Rey and the Resistance seem to have a theme. At least judging by track titles, I'm shocked the First Order didn't have a prominent, fleshed out theme or even Kylo Ren. If they do, it certainly wasn't too noticeable. Not even close to the Imperial March or even the Battle Droid music from the PT. I was also surprised at how little he drew from his past work, and even then all too fleetingly. Han & Leia's theme and the obligatory Force theme sprinkled throughout were the most noticeable. We hear Vader's theme briefly and I think that may be it.

I wonder if part of the reason why people are so unimpressed by the soundtrack is because we haven't listened to it enough yet for the music to grow on us like the music from the OT did. After all, we've had decades to listen to the OT soundtrack in repeat viewings of the movies, the soundtracks by themselves, and in countless video games so by now we're intimately familiar with the music. But try to think back to when you first saw Star Wars, did the music stand out to you then? I'd bet that it didn't, outside of the opening theme that is, and it wasn't until years later that you grew to recognize all of the themes and really appreciate the music but time has blurred that recognition so it only seems like you fell in love with the music right off the bat. Personally, having seen Star Wars when it first hit the theaters in '77 at age 7 or 8, I can't say that I remembered much about the music back then, it's only later that I grew to appreciate it. I'm thinking that over time, as we all watch TFA over and over again, and listen to the soundtrack over and over again that we'll grow to love it and pick out memorable themes like there were in the OT.

@nienumb1 If you looked at the credits, John Williams wasn't the sole conductor for the soundtrack, he was credited along with someone else as co-conductors and Gustav Dudamel was also listed as a guest conductor. So it's entirely possible that he didn't conduct the opening theme, or they might have used an existing recording and used a bad mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
@nienumb1 If you looked at the credits, John Williams wasn't the sole conductor for the soundtrack, he was credited along with someone else as co-conductors and Gustav Dudamel was also listed as a guest conductor. So it's entirely possible that he didn't conduct the opening theme, or they might have used an existing recording and used a bad mix.

Yeah, I bought a hard copy of the soundtrack and the booklet notes that Dudamel did the opening theme, the end credits and another track or two in the movie.

The thing is I liked several aspects of the PT soundtracks right when they came out so I don't really think it has anything to do with having a lot of time for the music to grow on us. Duel of the Fates was a hit practically from the beginning.

I didn't even notice the soundtrack while I was watching the film.
Just read this thread, so I decided to look up Rey's Theme on youtube, because I wasn't aware she even had one.
Honestly, I'm not hearing a "theme" in that piece of music at all. It's all over the map.
I just listened to it, and I couldn't hum you a single bar from it.
Unfortunate...
Maybe (hopefully) it will get fleshed out more for Ep. VIII.

UPDATE:

I've listened to Rey's "theme" about a dozen times now.
And I still cannot discern a "theme".

Not saying JW isn't a film score genius...
Just saying... "Where's the theme?"

Other than the little flute melody, I don't hear much either. It definitely seems like he went with a more atmospheric tone rather than focusing a lot on themes and leitmotifs although I do wonder why. Was he told to go that route? I can't say I particularly like that decision if that is indeed what happened.

JD found this in the movie thread:

The Walt Disney Studios' For your Consideration page has music not released on the soundtrack.

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/#/star-wars/music

Here are direct links for downloading:
http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/music/star-wars/Track1.mp3
http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/music/star-wars/Track2.mp3
http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/music/star-wars/Track3.mp3

...etc. 23 in all.

They're named:

The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 1 5:27
The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 2 1:53
The Scavenger 1:52
Lunchtime 1:12
I Can Fly Anything 4:09
Finn’s Trek 1:35
Follow Me and The Falcon 7:09
The Rathtars 1:19
Snoke 2:07
You Got A Name? 1:32
I’m No Hero 1:06
The Starkiller 1:52
Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle 2:15
The Resistance 1:35
The Abduction 1:35
Finn and Poe, United 2:01
The Bombing Run 2:07
On The Inside 2:54
Torn Apart 4:24
The Ways of the Force 3:58
The Journey Home 2:18
Farewell and The Trip 3:49
The Jedi Steps and Finale 9:58

Comparing to the soundtrack CD, looks like you can skip downloading the following from the Disney site:
The Scavenger 1:52
The Rathtars 1:19
Snoke 2:07
The Starkiller 1:52
The Abduction 1:35
Torn Apart 4:24
Farewell and The Trip 3:49

The rest are longer versions, sometimes split into separate tracks.

Other than the little flute melody, I don't hear much either. It definitely seems like he went with a more atmospheric tone rather than focusing a lot on themes and leitmotifs although I do wonder why. Was he told to go that route? I can't say I particularly like that decision if that is indeed what happened.

I imagine it's due to the fact that he's an octogenarian and he really exhausted himself on Ep. III, which everyone thought was gonna be the last of it, and he put his all into that. Seriously, listen to the End Credits finale suite of Revenge of the Sith's soundtrack and tell me it's not a masterpiece.

I imagine it's due to the fact that he's an octogenarian and he really exhausted himself on Ep. III, which everyone thought was gonna be the last of it, and he put his all into that. Seriously, listen to the End Credits finale suite of Revenge of the Sith's soundtrack and tell me it's not a masterpiece.

I agree 100%. I don't want to be too hard on him, because he's given us so much to love in the past, but it appears from TFA's lackluster soundtrack, the old man is washed up. But we'll always have his genius from Episodes I - VI. Not to mention all the other great movies he's lent his genius to.

The Wook

Eh, I don't really buy that because I've heard works from him, even in old age, that I liked. That said, I saw the movie again, and take back what I said. It is more subtle and a bit more atmospheric but I'm suspecting that was intentional. It just takes getting used to, in my case, but the music was way more noticeable than I remembered the first time.

I love John Williams, but I won't give him a pass just because. Unfortunately this soundtrack is just bad. I've seen the movie three times and listened to the music twice in addition. There is still nothing memorable or even remotely good about it. Its a basic score that sounds like it could have been in any B-grade action movie.

Don't say "well theres alot of action so the movie doesn't lend itself for memorable themes", go back and listen to Star Wars and Empire which have a lot of action, tons of memorable music.

Not sure if JJ had a ton of creative input or its all John but this music seems rushed and cobbled together. If he has health issues maybe its time for him to stop composing and let someone else take the reigns. Better to go out on top then become a sad shadow of yourself.

Last edited:
I would totally disagree that it's bad, even if it's not as bombastic as we're used to. I've seen it twice and listened to the music twice and there's definitely some themes I picked up on that seem really obvious now. Kylo's theme, Rey's theme and the First Order theme all come to mind.

Great soundtrack for a not so great movie, and no offense, but I don't see the finale like you do. Just a poorly cobbled together medley of the main themes. Weird modulations and transitions.

But it did remind me that that cd comes with that bounus dvd of the film clips and music.

I came out of the theater not knowing any of the new "themes"

I didn't even notice them. To me they just sound like incidental background music. I actually liked Rey's music. I just couldn't hum you any of it and I've listened to it multiple times.
Also I am very in tune to audio and music cues. I've only seen the movie once but I can clearly recall the snow falling during the lightsaber fight, the chatter of BB8 and the heavy breathing of John Boyega. I just can't recall any of the new musical themes.

Well that explains a lot with the theme. I could always seem to tell between Williams conducted version over another.

Aside from that, listening to the rest I am enjoying it a lot. It's definitely not quite like the other full blown scores (a number of minutes devoted to quieter material) but I'm not saying I give a negative rating to it overall. I just knew something was kinda up with that opening theme.

Though it's not a full blown "theme" I have to say I love the sections of Kylo Ren ' s villainous short theme. It's very fitting for when he comes in.

The other track I really love is the last one on the mountain. There are some great gems in this score.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's pretty lackluster at times, but Rey's theme is nice, I like it. I don't think today's film making style can work with really great music scores though. The fast pace and constant cutting from scene to scene just don't lend themselves to a grand musical piece like ANH's "The Final Battle" etc. Even the final scenes of ROTJ suffered from this style, with several shorter disconnected pieces rather than one long grand theme.

I agree, modern editing and movie making just doesn't match the old school orchestra sadly. I've been amazed at the old school orchestra style being picked up by the game industry who wants that large sound and emotional link to cut scenes. Like the rest of the movie industry it's going to become obsolete and replaced by crap.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back