Limited Run Titanfall Data Knife - Finished w/ rechargeable electronics, lights & sounds, stand

Ein

Sr Member

CG3Itecl.jpg

IJV9NAIl.jpg

XA4egDPl.jpg

d0oesv0l.jpg

I've been working on this idea on and off for a few months now and I'm ready to offer them to other members of TheRPF. Going to start with a run of ten of these to begin with, and possibly expand if there's enough demand for more. These knives are the result of a lot of different techniques and technology. The manufacturing process involves 3D Printing (to make the master copies), cold casting, laser etching and engraving, electronics and programming, and a whole lot of sanding, polishing, and painting. The price - $350 - reflects this. They are as close to a 'real' Data Knife as I think you can get at this point in terms of effects.

FEATURES:

Each knife is made from cold-cast metal parts as a base. The blades are done in cold cast aluminum; the circuitry inlays are done in cold cast bronze. The handle is actually cold cast with graphite - although it does get painted over in the process, this means that any wear, scratches, or other damage to the handle should weather fairly realistically. The cold cast parts give the knives a good weight to them versus my earlier 3d printed prototypes. The display at the top of the handle is set with a laser-engraved disc, then covered in a dome lens which is cast in resin and polished for clarity. The parts are all pressure-cast to eliminate as many imperfections in the final surface finish as possible.

EAmnHSGl.jpg

The electronics in the device are not cheap, but after refining this idea for a few months they are the most reliable components I could come up with. A rechargeable lithium polymer battery powers the whole assembly; a microUSB charging port is featured towards the blade-end of the handle and can accept a standard phone charger to recharge. An RGBW Neopixel Jewel is installed at the top of the knife and a pair of 3mm blue LEDs are inserted into the side of the handle. A piezo buzzer is also inserted into a small acoustic chamber sculpted inside the handle to enhance its effective volume. An arduino is embedded in the knife that controls the animating lights and sounds, all controlled by a toggle thumb switch. On a full charge, it looks like the knife can run continuously for about 4 hours, but I don't know why you'd ever want to run it like that.

3ZggfHwl.jpg

5EXHY8Cl.jpg

The knife comes with a clear laser-engraved acrylic display base. I can personalize the text engraved onto these within reason for additional cost (someone might want the MCOR or IMC logo, for example), but the default option will have the Titanfall logo and the text "PILOT DATA KNIFE" engraved below.

1ek89uLl.jpg

The sides of the blade can also be customized with laser engraving upon request. The sample pictured here reads "PILOT JACK COOPER", after Titanfall 2's protagonist. However, this can easily be changed to whatever other option you prefer (E.X. "LT. GRAVES" or like my in-game handle, "SUDDENLY_BEARS", if you're feeling frisky :D )

EAmnHSGl.jpg

Because the material costs of making each of these knives is significant, a $100 deposit will be required in order to secure a spot on the initial run. I take PayPal, and will send deposit requests out via PM on TheRPF once the run is established. I will be available for any PMs with any questions, or you can always e-mail me at adam@fusedcreations.com (though please note this is not a PayPal e-mail).

DISCLAIMERS:

These things are handmade. They are assembled out of multiple separate components. We do our very best to sand/fill/paint any imperfections, but there will always be some flaws, particularly where the seams of parts join together. My goal is to get you an item that you can unpack and put on display or bring to a convention right out of the box.

I do not have a full handle on the timeframes involved in making 10 of these yet. I am an attorney by day, and my work schedule varies. I want to say I expect it will take at least two to three months from start to finish, but I cannot guarantee these estimates. I intend on doing them in batches, which means that all 10 of the initial run will be finished at the same time and ship at the same time; these will not be manufactured one-by-one. However, a lot of the advance work is already done. All the molds are made. I have my own laser engraver and pressure casting equipment ready to help me produce everything.

CG3Itecl.jpg

IJV9NAIl.jpg

XA4egDPl.jpg

d0oesv0l.jpg

EAmnHSGl.jpg

3ZggfHwl.jpg

5EXHY8Cl.jpg

1ek89uLl.jpg

EAmnHSGl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Titanfall Data Knife - Finished w/ rechargeable electronics, lights & sounds, sta

Updated OP with better photos, video, and pricing information. That's me for the night. :)

Re: Titanfall Data Knife - Finished w/ rechargeable electronics, lights & sounds, sta

The quality of prints are top notch! You guys won't be disappointed.

Outstanding! Big Titanfall fan, PM sent.

Oh man, those look great, but way out of my price range.

However, I used to be in the USAF. One of my jobs was to repair and restore the control stick in F-16s. I also did the control wheel and column for C-130s and C-141s. I would imagine, that since this is based off of the same shape, you'd see similar wear marks. If anyone wants to go for a more worn appearance I can lend some advice. The way it is now, it looks like it's only been in about two battles.

Oh man, those look great, but way out of my price range.

However, I used to be in the USAF. One of my jobs was to repair and restore the control stick in F-16s. I also did the control wheel and column for C-130s and C-141s. I would imagine, that since this is based off of the same shape, you'd see similar wear marks. If anyone wants to go for a more worn appearance I can lend some advice. The way it is now, it looks like it's only been in about two battles.

I'd be interested in hearing the advice, myself. The weathering thing is always personal taste, and I figured a more intact version could be weathered down easily by someone who wanted to, but not the other way around. That said, my demo knife is certainly more, uh, pristine than it should be. Tried to be conservative about it.

Also, if this is out of your price range, I should mention that the first one I finished (my 3d printed version) is in The Junkyard for a fair bit cheaper.

Pushin' this back up to the top for a new week.

Starting production on the orders already made.

I am an addict to this game and would love to order one please

damn this would go so well with my LE TF2 helmet, but out of my price range unfortunately (picked up the helmet when a local shop discounted it to $100 :))

PS shouldn't this knife has Tai Lastimosa's name on it instead? Since Cooper inherited BT/helmet/pilot kit from Tai when he died

damn this would go so well with my LE TF2 helmet, but out of my price range unfortunately (picked up the helmet when a local shop discounted it to $100 :))

PS shouldn't this knife has Tai Lastimosa's name on it instead? Since Cooper inherited BT/helmet/pilot kit from Tai when he died

Hmm, interesting question...it's been a while since I played TF2, but do we ever see Cooper actually take the data knife from Tai or is it just assumed?

Hmm, interesting question...it's been a while since I played TF2, but do we ever see Cooper actually take the data knife from Tai or is it just assumed?

yeah hard to say, since Cooper started off as a infantry man, not sure if he would've had his own dataknife, or if this is a pilot only gear.

anyway, you can always argue that he got issued with his own knife after the events of TF2 :)

He gets it from BT towards the end of the game at the same time he gets the smart pistol.

QdjmTC2l.jpg

Starting to ship these bad boys out today, expecting all of the invoices to go out by the end of the week. As soon as they get paid, I will be mailing them. It is my goal to get everyone these well in advance of Halloween.

I'd like to thank those of you who ordered for your patience, and hope that you find it duly rewarded. We actually figured out a slightly different way of doing the display dials on the knife which makes them substantially more legible; we laser-engraved a half-tone pattern onto the dial, spraypaint it black, then sand the black paint back off until the only paint that is left is in the recesses. In my opinion, it's a big improvement over the original, and is way more visible. It also brings out the 3D effect of the engraving when combined with the lens over top.

dbCcVvol.jpg

For anyone on the fence, I just came back from TDY and mine was waiting and no ***** one of the best pieces I now own, completely top shelf.

For anyone on the fence, I just came back from TDY and mine was waiting and no ***** one of the best pieces I now own, completely top shelf.

I could not agree more. I have mine on the top shelf with the collectible helmet and my Smart Pistol. Fantastic paint job and weathering. All around great piece.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. We're really happy to hear it.

As it happens, I only have one knife remaining unclaimed of the initial batch of 10 that we did. The list in the OP is accurate in terms of people who put deposits down, but I also had a bunch of inquiries via Reddit/e-mail/Facebook and we sold a handful of them through that medium. If anyone's interested in picking up the last of the run, send me a PM!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back