Rogue One Stormtrooper Differences

Jodo

Master Member
I don't believe there is a dedicated thread to the Rogue One Stormtrooper costumes differences (between the OT and the Anthology film), so I thought I might make one.

With the last set of images that were released, one thing that stood out to me was that the squad leader's orange pauldron has seams like the white pauldron from the OT. That same trooper is also wearing some type of soft backback. You can see it peaking out behind him, while the shoulder straps are visible as well.

31767aeb1e5c5ad9b2d7ad7daf1d21d6.jpg

This one? I guess this one is black....

No, I'm talking about this one; however you can see that the black pauldron trooper has the same type of backpack on.

13241366_1014255691944701_5925363180003127931_n.jpg

Hi! As for me - it seems that helmet is a bit narrow and just more flat than sandtrooper's.
...looks like an eFx bucket ))))

I am not sure if there is another dedicated thread, but the CE3 panel "Star Wars Archaeology" had at 00:11:00 John Knoll show his recreation of the OT troopers that were used for Rogue One. So, no eFX or Anovos, I guess?

Although I am not a ST fanatic or nitpicker or nut I do find the result to be a bit on the ... hmm ... side ...

I must say that I totally love John Knoll´s work and absolutely admire his knowledge and ... am pretty much UNWORTHY !!! But I do not like the recreation that much because I find it to be a bit on the technical side, i.e. some of the original design decisions, the flow of forms seems to have been lost. I find the eyes rather frog like and the mouth grille seems to not fit into the whole concept anymore, the blue stripes did not need to be indented although I would have done that a few years ago myself, the ears seem to be too fiddly to actually have their place on the helmet. The helmet looks much to sanitized.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole point of the Endor battle on ROTJ was to show a low tech culture defeating the high tech, cold, impersonal Empire. The Empire is intended to be cold and technical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The whole point of the Endor battle on ROTJ was to show a low tech culture defeating the high tech, cold, impersonal Empire. The Empire is intended to be cold and technical.

Yes, indeed! But I sure hope that you are not implying that the oversanitized reconstruction gets that point better across than the versions we had in ROTJ?

They took the soul out of Liz's sculpt. :(

Oh how I hate this.

They are releasing a black series version of this helmet and I HAD to finally say something cause it makes me kinda feel like our fun hobby is finally dead for me. And I've been here on the RPF everyday Since almost the beginning of the site!

To me, This takes the whole reason I got into props, makes it bland and generic and distributes it to the masses.

It took me 30 years to get an accurate set of armor and a few helmets. I've been proud to have it on display for those that appreciate it and laughed at the people it freaked out!

People always ask "how do you have this? It looks REAL!"

Now it's going to be: "my 10 year old cousin has one but his looks better".

I absolutely hate the symmetry and changes and believe that part of the magic that was in the originals... (All OT sculpts inuding 3po and Vader) stems from the simple fact that human faces are all asymetrical... Our brains percieve that as "real". No one could consciously tell how wonky they were but I REALLY believe that's part of what made these characters so... Again... "REAL" subconsciously.

People think it was the CGI troops in PT that made them less SW-magic like... I honestly believe it was simply the soul-less symmetry of their design. Physical suits wouldn't have helped...

The R1 troops look instantly like Rubies costumes were used in the movie. While the OT troops were moving works of art.

It's the one thing I'm not liking about Rogue 1.

Uggh.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Does anyone think any of the real militaries have a requirement that helmets be asymmetrical because it looks more "real"? I think they are more concerned about the soldiers being able to do their job and the costs involved. Generally combat troops aren't meant to be attractive. They are meant to get the job done and be intimidating.

I'm talking about the way we perceive what we see on screen.

Did you think the OT Vader looked solid black, cold, symmetrical, and imposing?

Or are you actually going to say with a straight face that ep3 Vader looked better than the original....

I will laugh my ass off.

The OT Vader is one of the most iconic and imposing images of all time.

Everyone noticed ep3 was different even if 80% didn't know WHAT was different...

They took the soul out of Liz's sculpt. :(

Oh how I hate this.

They are releasing a black series version of this helmet and I HAD to finally say something cause it makes me kinda feel like our fun hobby is finally dead for me. And I've been here on the RPF everyday Since almost the beginning of the site!

To me, This takes the whole reason I got into props, makes it bland and generic and distributes it to the masses.

It took me 30 years to get an accurate set of armor and a few helmets. I've been proud to have it on display for those that appreciate it and laughed at the people it freaked out!

People always ask "how do you have this? It looks REAL!"

Now it's going to be: "my 10 year old cousin has one but his looks better".

I absolutely hate the symmetry and changes and believe that part of the magic that was in the originals... (All OT sculpts inuding 3po and Vader) stems from the simple fact that human faces are all asymetrical... Our brains percieve that as "real". No one could consciously tell how wonky they were but I REALLY believe that's part of what made these characters so... Again... "REAL" subconsciously.

People think it was the CGI troops in PT that made them less SW-magic like... I honestly believe it was simply the soul-less symmetry of their design. Physical suits wouldn't have helped...

The R1 troops look instantly like Rubies costumes were used in the movie. While the OT troops were moving works of art.

It's the one thing I'm not liking about Rogue 1.

Uggh.

Rant over.

So, basically what I'm reading here, is not so much a dissatisfaction with the quality of the product, but more that you won't personally feel as special because you won't have a unique item among your friends. Because they'll be able to go to the local Walmart and buy a Black Series ST bucket off the shelf, now somehow that detracts from what you have.

Do you realize how whiny and entitled that sounds? And why do you put so much of your self worth into a hunk of plastic?

BAHAHAHA!

No it's mere a side point that the originals and in particular my enjoyment of that part of the hobby are now totally negated. OT troops and the helmet in particular started my passion for movie props and how we percieve them.

The new prop helmet looks just like black series... Not because of the toy helmets awesomeness... More because the new film helmets look like cheap toy helmets.

The part that you read around.... About how the new armor and helmets look on screen and in pics... like cheap party city COSTUMES instead of the works of art that Liz and Brian Muir originally created.

Answer the question in my second post instead of just skimming through to find things to attack me personally?

Do you think OT Vader looks like crap? Could you tell it wasn't all black as a kid? Could you tell it was an asymetrical organic sculpt? Or did your eyes and brain see an all black mask and symmetrical helmet??????

Do you think ep3 Vader looks better?

ANSWER THAT PLEASE?

Keep the personal attacks to yourself. Thanks. (Really starting to think no one read the RPF TOS before they agreed to it!)

Does anyone think any of the real militaries have a requirement that helmets be asymmetrical because it looks more "real"? I think they are more concerned about the soldiers being able to do their job and the costs involved. Generally combat troops aren't meant to be attractive. They are meant to get the job done and be intimidating.

Neither is a piece of equipment required necessarily to be symmetrical and polished to be functional or intimidating. I utterly reject the notion that something has to be symmetrical because "that's the way it really would be".

If you google "Asymmetrical Helmet", once you get past all the Star Wars related results (LOL), you will find examples of military and civilian helmets that are asymmetrical both by design and manufacturer deviation. Like our eyes have in the past with Star Wars we tend to look right past it until it's pointed out.

Last edited:
The OT Stormtroopers wouldn't hold up as background characters in Rogue One. Today's films can not get away with the wonkiness, the bumps, the terrible assembly....or the "soul" (bad craftsmanship) of the originals.

This takes the whole reason I got into props, makes it bland and generic and distributes it to the masses.
I'm very sorry to hear you don't feel special anymore.

Total BS. Do you realize the film the originals were shot on?

Again, ANSWER THIS:

Do you think OT Vader looks like crap? Could you tell it wasn't all black as a kid? Could you tell it was an asymetrical organic sculpt? Or did your eyes and brain see an all black mask and symmetrical helmet??????

ANSWER THAT PLEASE?

The OT Stormtroopers wouldn't hold up as background characters in Rogue One. Today's films can not get away with the wonkiness, the bumps, the terrible assembly....or the "soul" (bad craftsmanship) of the originals.

I'm very sorry to hear you don't feel special anymore.

Total BS. Do you realize the film the originals were shot on? (Obviously you don't)

Again, ANSWER THIS:

ANSWER THAT PLEASE?

What it was filmed on doesn't matter in the slightest.. Perhaps you don't recall, but there wasn't IMAX in the 70's. There weren't 4K blu-rays.
Projection quality, home release quality, digital releases.. All of the quality has gone up. My point still stands. They would NOT hold up on today's film screens. Your misguided nostalgia may say otherwise, but I'm afraid it's just that. Nostalgia.

As for you rather ridiculous Vader question, I hardly see the relevance in a ROGUE ONE STORMTROOPERS THREAD, and to top it off, I didn't see episode 3. In any case, it's apples to oranges.

Perhaps you'd be better off in the "Venting inconsequential stuff" thread, than venting your issues with the design, Black Series helmets, modernization, and mass production here?

image.png

Back on topic, here is a screen cap from the video posted above. I think it does a great job of capturing what perhaps the film makers wanted, but couldn't achieve. The sharp lines, the slick bevels.. The bubbles lenses. The indented tube and cheek stripes I like. The only thing I'm really not digging is something about those ears.

Last edited:
BAHAHAHA!

No it's mere a side point that the originals and in particular my enjoyment of that part of the hobby are now totally negated. OT troops and the helmet in particular started my passion for movie props and how we percieve them.

The new prop helmet looks just like black series... Not because of the toy helmets awesomeness... More because the new film helmets look like cheap toy helmets.

The part that you read around.... About how the new armor and helmets look on screen and in pics... like cheap party city COSTUMES instead of the works of art that Liz and Brian Muir originally created.

Answer the question in my second post instead of just skimming through to find things to attack me personally?

ANSWER THAT PLEASE?

Keep the personal attacks to yourself. Thanks. (Really starting to think no one read the RPF TOS before they agreed to it!)

There were no personal attacks in my previous post. I simply stated how your post read. If I wanted to make a personal attack I would've said something like, "You sound like a whiny entitled bitch!" instead of saying your post comes off as whiny and entitled. There's a difference.

As for ANH Vader vs Ep 3 Vader - I like ANH best. When ANH came out in '77, I was only 1 year old. The first time I remember seeing it was when I was 5. I saw ANH and ESB in the same night. As a kid, I didn't notice any of those things you mentioned. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even known what asymmetrical meant when I first saw ANH. All I knew was I thought Darth Vader was the coolest thing I had ever seen up until that point. Thats why this is one of the highlights of my collection for me

Vader.jpg

And for the record, whether you mean it or not, your posts really come off as so dramatic and over the top that I really have to wonder if you're serious with all this stuff or if you're just having a laugh. I honestly can't tell.

I'm talking about the way we perceive what we see on screen.

Did you think the OT Vader looked solid black, cold, symmetrical, and imposing?

Or are you actually going to say with a straight face that ep3 Vader looked better than the original....

I will laugh my ass off.

The OT Vader is one of the most iconic and imposing images of all time.

Everyone noticed ep3 was different even if 80% didn't know WHAT was different...

To be honest most of us that haven't studied the helmets in detail can't tell the difference. I notice on the OT helmets that some have the black "brow" strip higher or lower. Some have green or black flat lenses, but that's the extent of what I know. I just never studied up on it.

I will say that it does bug me when you see helmets that were quickly put together where there's gaps on the ears that aren't flush. I have no problem with them fixing that, because an in universe helmet wouldn't have been made that way.

When I saw Star Wars in the theaters in 1977 I did not notice at all that Vader and the Stormtroopers were as poorly made as they were. It was quite disappointing when I eventually saw some of the actual props many years later. They were good enough to make the shots they needed for a low budget film, but the props did not look good when viewed up close.

I think part of the problem with Ep VIII Vader was Hayden being in the suit. I'm pretty sure he is no where close to Prowse size. But I do prefer ANH Vader because it looks like he has been through some battles.

The OT props haven't disappeared. If you prefer those you can still collect them and see them in the films.

Do you think someone who had direct contact with Lucas for years might have a better idea of what Lucas originally envisioned than any of us?

Lucas refined Anakin's and Obi Wan's lightsabers in Ep VIII. As far as I know these are supposed to be the exact same items we see in ANH but the props were refined for the film made much later. That is very common in films made long after the original.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back