Efx has a new $300 Darth Vader (precision cast replica) Helmet

IMO:

EFX Legend okay. Probably second best with lineage, etc. Very Cool helmet but compared to Quasimodo the paint job is not nearly as good. Dome flares out a bit.

EFX Limited very cool helmet but an odd duck. Not idealized but not screen accurate finish either. Kind of in the middle. I used to have one and I LOVED it.

EFX New PCR-Probably the best idealized ANH Vader ever. From the mold made after ANH like the Legend and Limited, cleaned up, even paint job, etc. Great price and neat clean idealized helmet. Unlimited modding as it's not a terribly expensive helmet. Based on my EFX PCR experience it will be an awesome helmet.

Best Vader helmets ever made no contest. The ultimate Vader lids hands down:

Quasimodo ANH and ESB plus the upcoming ROTJ. I have studied every Vader helmet made that has ever been posted on the various boards. You want the best Vader helmets ever made these are it.
The phrase artist is thrown around here a lot but these guys truly are artists. Just look at the pics. Hoping to get mine soon. IMO of course.

.http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=211017

Anovos has not shown a final helmet yet. I pretty much can guarantee it won't be as good as Quasi due to mass produced versus made individually, details, etc.

Tom

The finish on the efx PCR is my biggest concern. I am skeptical they will be able to get an accurate ANH finish at that price.

I am certainly interested in the Quasi ANH v2.

The finish on the efx PCR is my biggest concern. I am skeptical they will be able to get an accurate ANH finish at that price.

I am certainly interested in the Quasi ANH v2.

I think you are expecting a bit much out of a $299 Vader helmet. This will definitely not have a finish anywhere near accurate.

I think you are expecting a bit much out of a $299 Vader helmet. This will definitely not have a finish anywhere near accurate.

I agree. I can't imagine the finish will be very accurate. It may be a much cleaner look. I wouldn't be surprised if it is mostly bare plastic.

This may be better as a starting point to customize than expecting it to be a finished accurate helmet.

Best Vader helmets ever made no contest. The ultimate Vader lids hands down:

Quasimodo ANH and ESB plus the upcoming ROTJ. I have studied every Vader helmet made that has ever been posted on the various boards. You want the best Vader helmets ever made these are it.
The phrase artist is thrown around here a lot but these guys truly are artists. Just look at the pics. Hoping to get mine soon. IMO of course.

Seriously though, those quasimodo helmets do not even belong on the top ten list of accurate helmets. They started from the crappiest of crappy helmets, and were hand altered to best replicate the "look" of what an accurate helmet would look like. There is no way you can hand sculpt a helmet to have an accurate form. It either starts out that way or it doesn't. And those absolutely do not.

The fiberglass EFX legend and limited, even though they are a factory produced item are FAR superior to those scratch made helmets in ALL respects.
The only shortcoming of the fiberglass EFX helmets are the idealization of the topical surface boogers and dents/dings. But the overall shapes/geometry is there and completely on point.

And this new injection molded offering looks VERY close to the fiberglass versions. So much so that from a few feet away you really can't tell until you get right up on it.
Also the factory paint finish will be identical to the fiberglass versions which in my opinion is fantastic.

I'm gonna have to agree with Gino on how convincing the molded helmet looks. When I first saw the prototype in the NY show, I thought it was the fiberglass limited edition as I was approaching the booth. And that was just the prototype. I see miles of improvements on the pictures they have up on the site.

Yeah that prototype was a good start, but still pretty horrible compared to the final prototype.
I think when you see pics of the finals you will be just as impressed as I was.
I just can't believe how well they turned out and how much they look like the fiberglass versions.

Gino,

First you are being a jerk. I can have my opinion and you can disagree without being obnoxious.

Second, instead of slamming the work of great guys who also use their profits to help a disabled person and actually answer questions about their products, why don't you spend some time explaining your crappy companies abhorrent behavior in refusing to provide any updates, return emails, or give refunds to customers who have been waiting years.

I will let the pics speak for themselves.

efx-darth-vader-vs-quasimodo-v2-anh_zps990c4c34.jpg

quasimodo-v2-vs-screenused-anh-darth-vader_zps7079880b.jpg

screenused-bust-vs-quasimodo-v2-esb-bust_zpslmfoahml.jpg

Gino,

First you are being a jerk. I can have my opinion and you can disagree without being obnoxious.

Second, instead of slamming the work of great guys who also use their profits to help a disabled person and actually answer questions about their products, why don't you spend some time explaining your crappy companies abhorrent behavior in refusing to provide any updates, return emails, or give refunds to customers who have been waiting years.

Ditto.
And to be fair, those 'great guys' are producing helmets without a license and if you think they are not making money off selling them then you are wrong.
Trust me, you should hear my unfiltered version of what I think of the quasimodo helmets.
The pics of those helmets you posted only further show just how inaccurate they are compared to helmets with actual lineage to real stuff.
You can't start with a crap helmet as a base and turn it into an accurate helmet. Best you can do is make it look less crappy but it will never be accurate because you cannot hand sculpt your way into accuracy. It either starts out that way or it doesn't, and the base helmets those come from are complete junk from an accuracy standpoint.

I´ve never seen a Quasimodo helmet in person.So I cannot say how accurate it is in 3D next to a Originalmold.(Size,shape,details)On the pics they look very accurate in this angles.
And I also cannot proof how much money he makes with his work.But in my eyes nobody works for free.;)

But the most accurate Quasimodo is not so cheap like this EFX-Version.So he is in a complete different price range.
So its not fair to compare this two.

And about Original vs Fansculpt:Another point is selling price for a helmet.A fansculpt will never get the same price as a sharp one from the Originalmolds if you wanna sell it later.You can be happy if you can become your money back.
Thats a big point when you are selling High End collectibles.;)

This would make a GREAT trooping helmet. I had a resin dome made for my trooping ANH Vader and the weight difference made it much easier to stay in the suit.

For collectors, there are far superior helmets as far as details and lineage go.

For costumers/cosplayers/casual collectors this seems like a nice piece at a fair price.

If and when they become available I'd love to have one for trooping duties, but not for my display shelf!

If you guys have any specific questions about the PCR ANH Vader you can post them here for now and I'll try to answer as best I can.
There will be a more official announcement and I'll make a new thread at that time as well.

Here's a couple things I can share.
Yes, please disregard everything you see on that awful first prototype shown at nycc. It was just a first test shot from the tooling in it's very early stages.

We do have intentions on also releasing a brush painted version just like the legend.

The side tubes are separate pieces which are attached. There are undercut limitations to injection molding so because of this there was no other way.
That being said, it does not stand out like a sore thumb and is hidden quite well.

The dome is also made in two halves with the center stripe covering the seam. But again, you can really only tell if you are looking for it.

This helmet was never meant to compete with the accuracy of the legend/limited helmets. That being said they look incredibly like them and from a few feet away you would be hard pressed to notice the difference. I would have never believed that we could have achieved something that looked this good in an injected molded helmet.

I am anxious to show more pics but I'm waiting for the green light to do so.

Also because this is injection molded, production on these will be really fast and should be ready to ship in april/may.
Unlike the biker which has been a production nightmare. That is still moving forward as well and is our only outstanding SW project to date (meaning the only product we have taken money for).

Why was ist not possible to make the face and the dome in one piece?The DP Classic Action and the Rubies supreme are also made from one piece.:unsure

Why was ist not possible to make the face and the dome in one piece?The DP Classic Action and the Rubies supreme are also made from one piece.:unsure

Because these are being injection molded in sturdy ABS and there are limitations to injection molding when it comes to undercuts.

For example, on the dome because of the return edge on the bottom, it creates an undercut that prevents it from being made in one piece.

The classic action and rubies made significant compromises to the forms/shapes to allow them to be molded in a more simplistic way where as we wanted to retain the original forms/geometry as much as possible.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back