Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Galacticat - we used some pants from Marshalls that i think were pretty good. Color was a beige / tan and they were around $12. We used them as they came. If you search my previous posts there are some pics of them taken after halloween.

A friend of mine asked me if I would 3D print the staff for the outfit she was commissioned to do. It was a fun and challenging project! I was asked just to model it, print it, and spray it with filler primer. I haven't seen the final paint job yet. I'm excited!

Great model! - I was just about to start modeling this to print for my wife's costume - any chance of getting the STL's or other files to print it myself?

Cheers,
James.

Everyone looks so great!

In the end I did manage to throw together a last-minute costume, I'm pretty happy with it considering I only had two days!

clem1.jpgclem2-(1).jpg

The staff is all plumbing supplies, the wrap is viscose rayon (PERFECT texture, but it needs to be sheerer), and the top and pants are pyjamas from a supermarket brand (Coles Mix for any Australian readers), which I then attacked with Dylon pebble beige, Rit taupe, and about a hundred gallons of tea :lol. The "dirt" is a blend of a few Ben Nye clean dirts. Now that I've seen the film three times (and counting) and am certain I love it, I plan to gradually "screen accurate-ify" the get up and hopefully have it complete for summer con season in 2016!

clembot - GREAT job! You're one of the few Reys I've seen who has distressed her costume. Well done!

I just got notification that my leather cuff has been shipped. Getting closer! (Albeit baby steps...) I'm still continuing the hunt for the right pant and wrap dress fabrics. (As well as saving up for JJ's staff kit.)

I poked around Joann the other day. My candidates for the gray vest would be: Wool, wool blend, or felt. Felt looked like a possibility. Definitely cheaper...!

I poked around Joann the other day. My candidates for the gray vest would be: Wool, wool blend, or felt. Felt looked like a possibility. Definitely cheaper...!

I'm thinking wool army blankets (mostly cuz i have those where I work LOL) though i think i'm going to wait till some hi res shots come out too cuz it seemed like there were some unique textures to that vest and bracer material. It could just be quilting (there is definitely some of that going on)

Thank you so much for the link and information that's so perfect! I already know I'm size 38 in european size boots, which is convenient. They look comfortable too.

they really do. I'm so darn excited.

They are very comfortable!! You won't regret ordering them!

Everyone looks so great!

In the end I did manage to throw together a last-minute costume, I'm pretty happy with it considering I only had two days!

View attachment 568222View attachment 568223

The staff is all plumbing supplies, the wrap is viscose rayon (PERFECT texture, but it needs to be sheerer), and the top and pants are pyjamas from a supermarket brand (Coles Mix for any Australian readers), which I then attacked with Dylon pebble beige, Rit taupe, and about a hundred gallons of tea :lol. The "dirt" is a blend of a few Ben Nye clean dirts. Now that I've seen the film three times (and counting) and am certain I love it, I plan to gradually "screen accurate-ify" the get up and hopefully have it complete for summer con season in 2016!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's seen it several times...tonight will be my 5th! :p

As far as distressing, I used some fuller's earth on mine, but couldn't find any real instructions on how to use it. Does anyone have a good resource for that? I searched different sites for a least an hour and got nowhere.

Also, question for anyone who's seen it already...
Is anyone planning on making Luke's lightsaber? Or are you going to wait to see what she ends up with in Ep VIII?

Is anyone planning on making Luke's lightsaber? Or are you going to wait to see what she ends up with in Ep VIII?

I want all the stuffs!
Lightsaber, blaster, staff, holsters.... ugh, my wallet weeps already....

I snapped a photo from the art book that I thought you guys might not have. It gives some clearer lines on the finale outfit. Please don't shank me because I'm new and have not the slightest idea about how to put under a spoiler thing. You guys have been very helpful in helping me put together Rey as my back up costume for the Star Wars Half-Marathon (back up because it's unlikely my bespin leia will get done with embroidery before then and I'd hate to rewear Ahsoka)

12394393_10208050607167011_791195182_o.jpg

Okay, so I just wanted to share. I've been following this thread for a long time and used MANY of the suggestions, screenshots, reference pics, and methods.I'm finally done, and I wanted to share my result.

I used the staff tutorial posted on instructables (made by someone here I believe- the Home Depot parts method). The pants are silk (Fine Fabrics), tunic is a cotton hemp blend also sourced from Fine Fabrics in Atlanta, the wrap dress is a viscose/poly blend (also from Fine Fabrics), boots are on off brand from ebay I altered, and the goggles are leather and fabric with a cat toy light over a sunglasses base. Belt is leather, made by me (since my costuming experience is mainly with leather).Arm wraps are a cotton blend (I'd like to remake them maybe on top of compression sleeves because for now, I have to actually wrap them and they are secured with velcro hidden as it gets wrapped). Note: The bag was a stand in and I just got the correct bag today, so that will be finished later in the evening. I didn't buy any of it except the boots, which I'm really pleased with, but maybe one day I'll learn to cobble, too. :) I have not yet purchased the Petzl gloves, but I will probably add them in time. Everything was weathered by good 'ole dirt, or my airbrush. I also used Rit dye in pearl grey to give everything a harmonious color palette, but if you do, be careful that you know how it interacts with different types of organic vs synthetic fibers. I had to experiment with different soak times and potency before I found what I liked.

Edit: I also made the cuff, but it's hard to see in those photos. Someone here posted a pattern and I cut it from leather and dyed it.)

I just wanted to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone (again) for contributing to the thread. I submitted for approval for the Rebel Legion/501st and the bag is my only issue at this point, soon to be corrected. (I weathered the goggle to a more grey color as well.) I'm SUPER excited about that. I was able to march with them for a local Atlanta parade since it was an informal event and that totally made my day! :) My ultimate goal was to have it ready for the premier with all of my costumed friends, which I did, and to get it Rebel Legion approved (the bag is almost done). There's just no way I would have been able to do that without all the information here, in one place.

I also made a small version of BB8 out of foam, wonderflex, and a kinder egg top for his little eyes. Painted him and mounted him on a remote control tank base and he will spin 360, or follow me wherever. He's about a third the size of the real guy, but I don't have thousands of dollars to spend making the real one, so he'll have to do! He stands about 16" tall.

So, here she is! Some random photos of her in the various events I've done of the past few weeks. It looks different colors in different lighting, and a couple of these are courtesy of Leo Photography and MarksterCon's Bash of the Empire (the ones with Solo in carbonite- that was made by JM props for a local event).

20151129_181308.jpgReySWB.jpgReySWB2.jpg20151129_154802.jpg20151129_154828.jpgFB_IMG_1449373269151.jpgBB8.jpg

Oh man well done ​AtlGurl9225!!!! That looks amazing!

Okay, so I just wanted to share. I've been following this thread for a long time and used MANY of the suggestions, screenshots, reference pics, and methods.I'm finally done, and I wanted to share my result.

Last edited by a moderator:

I came across this Anakin Skywalker flashlight toy and got it on sale for $20 at Kohl's. Figure it's a good low cost hilt prop for now since buying Rey's staff and blaster are setting me back for a while. It also is a bright flashlight with noises when you turn it on or off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450733263.843219.jpg

I came across this Anakin Skywalker flashlight toy and got it on sale for $20 at Kohl's. Figure it's a good low cost hilt prop for now since buying Rey's staff and blaster are setting me back for a while. It also is a bright flashlight with noises when you turn it on or off.
View attachment 568452

HAH! That's pretty awesome. Thanks! Might check the store here. My whole costume set me back with all the little things adding up after the staff and boot purchases - I don't even want to say how much it ended up adding up to!

Also, am I the only one who just wants to shout "WOOOO!!" every single time I watch her use the Force to get the lightsaber instead of Kylo?

clembot - GREAT job! You're one of the few Reys I've seen who has distressed her costume. Well done!
Thank you! I'd just finished distressing the costumes for a short film I was working on, so I had plenty of "dirt" left over :lol

For those who are keen, can recommend Ben Nye 'Plains Dust' and 'Charcoal'; mixed together they'll give a good "dirty" dark brown (alone they're red/desert and black, respectively). You can blow or brush them onto the costume and then rub them in. My preferred technique is to "pounce" the powder on with a big brush (think a powder or blush brush - one you never want to use again!) and then work it into the fabric like you're "washing" it by rubbing the fabric against itself. It's skin safe so you'll get authentically grubby when you wear the costume, too! (Clean up with soap and water)

Be warned though, it's VERY fine, so do it with a mask on unless you want to be blowing terrifying things out of your nose for a week.

ALSO, another product we use extensively for dirt/grime/weathering is Good Looking Hair - it's a spray meant for filling in bald spots, but in the brown colours it gives a great "dried mud" look. It's really great for boots etc; I used it on my staff for my Rey costume.

HAH! That's pretty awesome. Thanks! Might check the store here. My whole costume set me back with all the little things adding up after the staff and boot purchases - I don't even want to say how much it ended up adding up to!

Also, am I the only one who just wants to shout "WOOOO!!" every single time I watch her use the Force to get the lightsaber instead of Kylo?

No. I've seen it three times already and I whoop like a maniac every time. And cry. Wait, I'm not crying...you're crying!

AtlGurl9225 - Well done! (also, hello fellow Atlantan! :) *waves*) I saw your picture on Leo Photography's page and wondered where you got your fabrics. I haven't gone to Fine Fabrics yet because their selection is usually fairly specific, but I haven't been to their new location yet. I might have to check them out again.

nerdmostlikely - Thanks for the lovely concept art!

No. I've seen it three times already and I whoop like a maniac every time. And cry. Wait, I'm not crying...you're crying!

Don't worry, tonight will be my 5th time seeing it :lol But I don't have any more tickets after tonight (yet).

With the RIT dye, did you use it on silk or viscose? My pants are silk, and I already dyed them, but they aren't quite right. And the wrap dress really needs dye as coffee just didn't work. That one is a silk/rayon viscose. Just wondering what your experience with the dye was if you used those materials!

AtlGurl9225 - Well done! (also, hello fellow Atlantan! :) *waves*) I saw your picture on Leo Photography's page and wondered where you got your fabrics. I haven't gone to Fine Fabrics yet because their selection is usually fairly specific, but I haven't been to their new location yet. I might have to check them out again.

nerdmostlikely - Thanks for the lovely concept art!

*waves!* We've never met in person, but I've seen a lot of your stuff, too, and we run in the same circles (my name is Stephanie :) ). I hear many nice things about you! (David is a very dear friend!) :D I am going back to Fine Fabrics tomorrow, and I'll let you know if it's still there. The bolt was HUGE when I got it and that was only a month or so ago. I found it in the sheer aisle, and was shocked that it was so perfect. The draping and sheerness and weight were spot on, and I just used the RIT dye to get it to the color I wanted with a little stovetop dyeing and a little airbrushing to get it really gritty and dirty looking. The new place is huge and I've been able to find pretty much anything I need there lately and supplementing it with stuff from Gail K. and Hancock.

I can't wait to see yours! :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back