Anovos EP7 Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

For what it is worth... I have worn an EP IV Stormtrooper before and honestly, am not a fan. Getting to wear the First Order Stormtrooper was quite the experience and here are my findings:

1) It will be quite the feat to dress yourself, if not entirely impossible.
2) The legs being connected at the knee DOES somewhat restrict free movement (you can't take a knee, you can't get up stairs easily, etc), BUT if you space them correctly, I actually like them better than Ep IV legs. They do not twist. there is never an issue with the shins. They feel more a part of your body. I endlessly adjusted my Ep IV legs and they just never seemed to work quite right or were ever comfortable. You give up some freedom of movement, but these don't have those other issues.
3) The body sits more comfortably and more uniformly. Since the body is essentially one piece, it doesn't shift much and it never seems to pinch or bite you in the crotch... in fact the buttplate and cod plate are designed much better, work better and function as one would expect.. AND, most importantly, the cod can easily come off to go to the restroom!
4) The belt is very hard to close, but does a great job of helping you suck it in and making you look the part... much moreso than an EP IV trooper.
5) The arms... suck. I just don't know how else to say it. The gaskets between the shoulder and the bicep is a huge limiter to your movement and looks great, but is a constant pain. The gaskets at the elbow are also a pain. The detail on the inside of the forearms is cumbersome and also limits your movement a bit. There is very little I like about them.
6) Back and chest are pretty cool. I love the way they go together much more than the originals but they are so wide that when you couple them with the arms, they restrict movement to the point that it is VERY VERY hard to even take your own helmet off and would make it all but impossible to put your own helmet on. It is really nice that you can easily take the chest off to get a little air.
7) Gloves are a billion times better than Ep IV gloves.
8) Did I mention I hate the arms?
9) The helmet is great. Because of the duck bill you can't see down at all, but since the lenses are one piece and not nearly as bubbled, you have MUCH better visibility overall. Unfortunately, because how far you have to pull the front of your helmet down, when you turn your head, you hit it on your shoulder.

The gaskets are the weakest point of this costume, but it also helps to create a MUCH more consistant look between costumers. You all tend to look the same, which is the point. While I will always have a warm place for Ep IV armor, I think this update is a great one for both movie lovers and costumers and I know I'll be getting a set for myself (while I'll likely never have a set of Ep IV armor.

Do you have any thoughts on how to improve the gaskets, Art? Perhaps the materials used or a different shape? Or do you think this is a necessary evil that troopers will just have to live with in the future?

Do you have any thoughts on how to improve the gaskets, Art? Perhaps the materials used or a different shape? Or do you think this is a necessary evil that troopers will just have to live with in the future?

The easiest answer is to go with a cloth replacement, but you are never going to get the exact same look.

You could also go with thinner rubber or silicone, but if you do that, you better be prepared to replace them often as they take a beating.

I was fortunate to be part of a team that built a suit for a 501st member here in Colorado. I can definitely say that the design has grown on me from being able to see the suit from a hands on perspective.

Finishing this armor was a lot of fun but it is much more involved than building an OT Stormtrooper because of the seamless nature of the design. It required a great deal of filling and sanding especially around the chest piece and along the forearms. Naturally this means the armor has to be painted.

Considering the amount of time they had to pull this project together it's hard to think of how things could have been done better. At this point, I'd say they are well along in terms of product development and I think it's a question of Anovos refining what they already have to sharpen some details and maybe adjust how a few things go together to help hide seams more easily.

I can't wait for their OT Stormtrooper!

Is there any official word that a kit form will be offered for that price point? Don't tell me I have to buy an OT and a PT suit this year!!!!

From what I understood on a documentary about 3D printing in the movie industry is that the helmet was 3D printed for the movie ( not sure if it was the prototype/master or all the helmets).
Thus we all know that 3D printing can release very sharp object. If you make a copy and that you're hurry (I guess that ANOVOS team got a short time to make these suits) it could explain a simpler and less detailed conception.

Exactly what I'm thinking. From what I gather, the screen used armor was 3D scanned, put into a file, printed and then molded and cast. Besides taking a direct mold of the screen used armor, the ANOVOS is the closest to the real thing as we're going to get right now

Is there any official word that a kit form will be offered for that price point? Don't tell me I have to buy an OT and a PT suit this year!!!!
Yes, well, around that amount. They were interviewed by SW.com online. It was either day 1 or day 2.

It would be marvelous if Anovos could tweak the helmet and get it out to us before the movie comes out but I'm guessing that's not likely?

Thanks. I was too lazy to find it, but I was pretty sure I wasn't crazy that I watched the interview where they talked price and release dates.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be marvelous if Anovos could tweak the helmet and get it out to us before the movie comes out but I'm guessing that's not likely?

They are saying late third quarter to fourth quarter release, so I think it's entirely possible.

From the interview:

Joe Salcedo from Anovos:

Standard Injected Helmet ~$200
Premium Fiberglass Helmet ~$7-800
Armor Kit ~$400
Armor Premium Version up to $2500

Dana Gasser: Available "near the end of the year, closer to when the movie comes out."

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back