Anovos EP7 Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

Some stuff I noticed when comparing the photo's of the move set suits with the Anovos suits.

comparing2NTKs.png

Even with some really soft pulls. It stays a very nice stormtrooper armor.
And please, correct me if I might have some of this wrong.

I'm hoping some of these differences are a result of early production and that they'll sharpen up before going on sale. I also hope they'll keep the multipiece complexity of the movie suits. A kit of a hundred fiddly bits does not daunt me. A kit of two dozen that I'll have to cut apart and rework... well, doesn't daunt me, but I'd be far less eager to tackle it.

What I don't know when will be answered is the question of all-at-once or helmet/armor being able to be ordered separately. I would prefer to be able to order the helmets separately -- but also then the armor kit minus helmet. And I do hope to see the other helmets offered, as well.

--Jonah

Hey everyone, guess who is finally back at home from the show.

I can't thank you enough of the warm reception of our ultra secret project for the last 3.5 months. We were honored when we had the opportunity to participate in this marketing "blitz" of the new The Force Awakens Stormtrooper and the results were fantastic.

As for lineage to the original, our resources were the ability to mold directly off of 3D grown files taken from the scans that Vos was referring to. The real magic though, came from our ability to translate this whole suit of armor into vacuform and fiberglass. The real thing was pretty much made out of a material that after I had costed it out, would have brought this piece easily into the 8-10,000 USD range for retail. You know we are committed but not crazy !! A huge shoutout goes out to Spectrum Graphics 2 for being our partners in crime for this historic build. Another huge shoutout goes to our long time friends at Hyperfirm for ripping through some of the tallest challenges to get the guns completed in record time.

All together, it took an enormous effort from not only the folks from Anovos but also from individuals we've known and met here on the RPF for years. I can't thank you all enough.

Now, throw me some questions !

ARKM wants a cheap pre-order kit. When can ARKM get one, for how much and will it include the helmet like the current Stormtrooper pre-order kit does?

The original Stormtropers were a blacksuit and various pieces clamped on with the abs/back hung with a suspender rig. Can you give a little insight on how this new suit goes together? Next question, what is the undersuit like (ribbed etc)? Were the gloves off the shelf or custom?

Congratulations on a successful show. Just joined the thread today, and looking forward to learning more about the suits. Thank you for sharing.

It's late here, but did I just read Hyperfirm Episode 7 blasters?!

Last edited:
So many questions! I'll echo those wondering just how soon we'll be able to avail ourselves of this or any other version of TFA Stormies. I figure the Q4 projection is based on some sort of Disney and/or LFL not wanting any TFA Stormtroopers "crashing" premiere events? That is, trying to keep it to hired performers and 501st? I'd like to know the options breakdown -- whole thing only, helmet and armor able to be ordered separately, optional pieces that can be ordered separately so one could swap between, say, Stormie and Incinerator Trooper without needing two full suits, and so on like that.

I'm also curious if you can tell us what was used or the original suits that was so expensive, and whether you can recapture the detailing in vac-formed ABS (like the separate belt boxes on the movie suits versus the apparently molded-on boxes on the Anovos display suit). Will the latches be functional (indeed, were they functional or decorative on the movie suits, for that matter)? If not, how much work would an end-user have to put into making them functional?

Sorry if this is a lot, but I love these and can't wait for the opportunity to get started on one. :)

--Jonah

Hey everyone, guess who is finally back at home from the show.

I can't thank you enough of the warm reception of our ultra secret project for the last 3.5 months. We were honored when we had the opportunity to participate in this marketing "blitz" of the new The Force Awakens Stormtrooper and the results were fantastic.

As for lineage to the original, our resources were the ability to mold directly off of 3D grown files taken from the scans that Vos was referring to. The real magic though, came from our ability to translate this whole suit of armor into vacuform and fiberglass. The real thing was pretty much made out of a material that after I had costed it out, would have brought this piece easily into the 8-10,000 USD range for retail. You know we are committed but not crazy !! A huge shoutout goes out to Spectrum Graphics 2 for being our partners in crime for this historic build. Another huge shoutout goes to our long time friends at Hyperfirm for ripping through some of the tallest challenges to get the guns completed in record time.

All together, it took an enormous effort from not only the folks from Anovos but also from individuals we've known and met here on the RPF for years. I can't thank you all enough.

Now, throw me some questions !

The biggest question I see thrown around right now is if the helmets/suits were scanned from original suits, why are there some pretty dramatic differences in the parts from the originals vs the ANOVOS castings? Some of the more obvious are shown in this photo. Screen suit on display on the left, ANOVOS on the right.

I get that some of the differences in the suit are due to vacuforming, but the helmet since it is resin/fiberglass should be able to copy the subtle nuances of the original fairly easily, especially with a 3D scan of the helmet.

ZQ1HFH7.jpg

I would Pre order it in a hot second from Anovos. I want to know how accurate it is from the filming costumes. What I really want to hear is Anovos say......we made them for the movie.

I doubt you'll hear that, but the troopers on stage for the live stream were all 501st guys in the Anovos armor. One of our Garrison guys got the armor and it is EXTREMELY NICE. Amazing details. The helmet looks really great, and the visibility is quite good! I tried it on. The one comment the 501st guys gave is that it is even more uncomfortable to wear for a long time that the OT armor.

I doubt you'll hear that, but the troopers on stage for the live stream were all 501st guys in the Anovos armor. One of our Garrison guys got the armor and it is EXTREMELY NICE. Amazing details. The helmet looks really great, and the visibility is quite good! I tried it one. The one comment the 501st guys gave is that it is even more uncomfortable to wear for a long time that the OT armor.

We heard (can't recall where) that the guys on the stage weren't all 501st, in fact most were not. Art Andrews (RPF guy) was one of them and the rest were ANOVOS employees and some other guys. The 501st guys were on the floor and at some other panels though.

We heard (can't recall where) that the guys on the stage weren't all 501st, in fact most were not. Art Andrews (RPF guy) was one of them and the rest were ANOVOS employees and some other guys. The 501st guys were on the floor and at some other panels though.

ah ok. I know at least one guy on stage was 501st, but i apparently got bad info. Thanks!

We may also want to wait and see how some of the other TKs look in the movie. The screen used helmet on display may have been a "hero" version... we may find that some of the background or less prominent TKs have helmets with less refined details as well.

Still... for the speed at which Anovos came up with these I think they are damned good. Perfect...? maybe not. But damned good.

From what I understood on a documentary about 3D printing in the movie industry is that the helmet was 3D printed for the movie ( not sure if it was the prototype/master or all the helmets).
Thus we all know that 3D printing can release very sharp object. If you make a copy and that you're hurry (I guess that ANOVOS team got a short time to make these suits) it could explain a simpler and less detailed conception.

We may also want to wait and see how some of the other TKs look in the movie. The screen used helmet on display may have been a "hero" version... we may find that some of the background or less prominent TKs have helmets with less refined details as well.

Still... for the speed at which Anovos came up with these I think they are damned good. Perfect...? maybe not. But damned good.

Hero VS stunt....now there is something I didnt think of. I would like to see the helmet un assembled......just for curiosity sake and to see how it goes together.

Lets all remember, Anovos had limited time to put these together. There are going to be differences for goodness sake.

Last edited:
I really, really want to like the new design. However the chest and back plates (as so many here point out) lack any detail/imagination of what could be embedded in the armor. Like power units, audio/visual recording devices, internal cooling and life support systems that the original armor hints at with molded detail. Even with the evolution and adaptation of 30 years there should be something and I don’t even want to think about the bucket …sigh….. I am excited about the overall feel of the film and I hope the new suit starts to grow on me.

I really, really want to like the new design. However the chest and back plates (as so many here point out) lack any detail/imagination of what could be embedded in the armor. Like power units, audio/visual recording devices, internal cooling and life support systems that the original armor hints at with molded detail. Even with the evolution and adaptation of 30 years there should be something and I don’t even want to think about the bucket …sigh….. I am excited about the overall feel of the film and I hope the new suit starts to grow on me.

I have heard this objection raised many times and have to admit that I don't get it. The armour *does* look smoother as compared to the OT Tks... but so what? I mean, we don't really want them to look the same do we? This is 30 years later... we have to assume that things will change, and in general when things are refined going forward they generally become more streamlined and less "crude" looking for lack of a better word. maybe this is the thought that led the designers to go with a sleeker look.

I do understand that everyone's tastes vary, and that some will ultimately hate it while others will embrace it. Personally, I loved them from the start. Others have slowly come around. Perhaps you will as well... or not. Any way it goes is fine, because we all have our likes.

But as to it looking "too smooth" or "too Plain"... I can't agree. I think it looks clean and sexy. ESPECIALLY the helmet... I LOVE the helmet.

Quite a few of the guys on stage also happened to be 501st members, but, obviously, that wasn't a determining factor. And yes, I was #7, right behind Chewbacca.... blocked by him in most of the photos... :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back