Mass Effect M-27 Scimitar *WIP (Pic Heavy)

Beer_Money_Props

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update: COMPLETED!

~~~~~~~~~<<<~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>~~~~~

So I've been playing around with EVA foam for a Cerberus Trooper build (Thread link in my signature) from the Mass Effect universe, and OBVIOUSLY I need a weapon to compliment it. I could have gone with numerous amazing available kits or modified a NERF gun but that's really not my style. No...I'm more of the beat and bang on something until I've learned it inside and out, even if it throws me into alternating fits of anger and depression with just a slight chance of actually creating something I'm overly proud of...So I went with what my reference photo for my armor build is holding. An M-27 Scimitar shot-gun.

9466243589_3e1af8e05b.jpg

Since I've never built a prop that wasn't already partially assembled and/or a modified doodad attached to an existing thing-a-ma-bob, I went about the You-tubes looking at various other prop makers (mostly Volpin's work and Punished Props fantastic build videos) and how they do what they do. First step, blueprinting in InkScape.

9989066224_dce708d6e6.jpg

I'd love to say this was super easy and took me no time at all, but truth be told, I probably spent 40+ hours scaling, drawing, redrawing, rescaling, learning shortcuts that could have saved me tons of time, deleting my work unintentionally (D'OH!) starting over, redoing things a dozen times until I was partially satisfied, etc...etc...etc... I'm still not 100% happy with how it turned out (it's unsymmetrical as all get out since I did pretty much everything freehand...on a touch-pad...on my lap-top), but at least I had something I could work from. I cut out my patterns onto taped together sheets of cardstock, and to the woodshed I went.

10008420134_2865b56553.jpg

After several hours gluing, hacking, trimming, and rough sanding, I arrived at something resembling the base of a weapon.

10008425644_dc3aabf422.jpg

10012073726_99d8bc2736.jpg

Now it was time to start sanding, sanding, sanding (and throw in the barrel I'd already mocked up, just for grins and giggles...

10061858783_e15b185455.jpg

Once I was happy with the overall shape, I started making all the little outboard "wings" and figuring out how to attach them while still being able to paint the thing properly. While I'm not overjoyed at my current method for accomplishing what I set out to get done, I have learned a metric tonne of stuff just by getting as far as I have now. Having decided that I am only going to be partially satisfied with this "prototype" no matter how much more Bondo, putty, or greeblies I throw at it, I decided to just primer/sand/smooth/repeat and get it ready for learning painting techniques.

10207917656_460b21200e.jpg
10207804694_e84d21d0d8.jpg
10208016913_30b44dbb0c.jpg
10207915346_528bd9307c.jpg

Which brings you all up to date with this project. I'm about 2 weeks into this, including time spent in InkScape, and I am estimating I've got another week (thanks to drying time and my recently increased IRL work-load), before it's "done" enough to be useable for my character to debut at Comikaze here in LA next month...At least that's the plan.

After assembling this in it's current state, there are several things I would have done (and will do, rest assured) differently when I re-build this with the knowledge I've gleamed from doing this the first time. I now have a much better understanding of what things work well together, and what things to absolutely stay away from and/or not frakking do until it's ready to be assembled for the last time. While it's not horribly out of scale, it does need to be about an inch smaller overall. Something I couldn't have foreseen until it was built and in my hands. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of what I've accomplished, I just know I can do so much better. That is eating away at me like you wouldn't believe. Or maybe you would...Seems I'm not the only one with an addiction to accuracy around here. Even if it's on something that doesn't exist in the real world... :wacko

The hope is that version 2.0 can be molded and cast as a hollow bodied kit (Also something I'm currently learning how to do thanks to a lot of help from You-tube and my local Smooth-on rep) that will light up and have some sound effects (FINALLY! Something I'm actually proficient at doing already). I'm already reworking all my drawings to give me a better blueprint with cutaways, and channeling for lights, working trigger assemblies, and a racking slide that actually slides/recoils when it's "fired".

Stay tuned for updates...Paint and finishing on version 1.0 is on deck next.

Last edited:
This is Fantastic. My next build will be the Hydra (heavy missle launcher) or the Cerberus Raptor. I'm leaning toward the Hydra, because it is such a uniquie weapon. Just need to finish up my Lego Megafig first. I can't wait to see more.

Thanks man! Although I'm going to have the Scimitar done before ComiKaze, I won't have the rest of my armor done. It's disappointing, but I didn't anticipate work picking up like it has. Not a bad problem to have right now, but it seriously interferes with my play time. ;)
I'll still have everything wrapped up by my local Con where I intended to show it off for the first time anyway.

Funny you should bring up the Raptor. It's the weapon I wanted to build in the first place, but it was a bit complex to try as my first go. Due to work recently sending me all over the place, I haven't had a lot of time to play around with the Scimitar. What I have been able to do, however, is just about get the full scale blueprinting done for the Raptor.

Love this build; I'm not really a shotgun player, but this came out beautifully. I hope when I move up to larger pieces they come out as well!

Looking great. I love working with MDF (depsite the fact that its death to inhale it on a regular basis). Havent played Mass Effect, but love the weapons from what ive seen. Can't wait to see it finished.

Time for an update...

I'm finally home long enough to get some paint on this beast. The first light coat went on as expected, but the second coat made it look like plastic. Kinda neat...

10748197166_faf61ea3e0.jpg

10748431523_8f58698a1d.jpg

It'll be dry enough to mask and paint the secondary color tonight (Using Rustoleum Hammered finish in black on the stock, grip, barrel, and underside of the "wings" like you can see in the second pic. Once I get that done and it has a chance to dry, tomorrow morning I'm going to start playing around with my airbrush and adding the weathering effects (and hopefully cover up some of my inexperience) and the finer details. Then it'll just be a matter of adding the fake screw heads, cleaning up the edges with a little acrylic paint, and sealing it with some clearcoat. All in all it's coming out nicely. Color me surprised! :cool

As as aside, Krylon Fusion paint (Designed for plastic lawn furniture) in satin is really nice if you're looking for a faux composite finish.
My only complaint is that it doesn't like to stick AT ALL to any surface that isn't sealed really well...ie...areas that may have gotten missed during sanding and priming MDF. Rookie mistake on my part, but nothing that isn't completely salvageable with a little creative weathering.

I personally think this spray paint compliments the Mass Effect style of lightweight, collapsible firearms. I'll definitely be using it on my next M.E. build. More pics tonight!

UPDATE: Masking done and black coat on..

10751413073_0c4d0fbb09_c.jpg

10751411173_b012f1e5c8_c.jpg

Last edited:
Masking worked out pretty well. still not perfect, but this is a test bed for future projects and I'm happy enough with the knowledge that I've picked up.

10763589334_323f32b5b1_c.jpg

Playing around with this airbrush is pretty fun I gotta say. Still getting the overall hang of it, but it's not too shabby for a first time. Laying down the finished color over the white. A dingy grey/taupe...

10768933183_dbecdda482_c.jpg

And a little acrylic paint for added weathering so it looks like the beat to crap weapon of a low level grunt...

10768926964_241650f9f8_c.jpg

Still need to mask up some emblems, touch up the heavy handed painting I did in some places, hit it with a clear coat, put the accent bits back on and this is just about wrapped up...

This looks so good! And I know exactly how you feel. Me too, I always get frustrated when something does not fit or is not the correct size. Then I make a break for some time. But not you. You keep on going. And the result is great! Be proud!
Is there some thread like "The psychology behind crafting"?

looks fantastic - of course the finishing touch will be one you get the graphics and decals on... that always adds so much! great build!

Sent mobile using Tapatalk.

M-27 Scimitar v1.0 complete!

She's a little beat up, but she still gets the job done in a pinch.

I'm reworking my blueprints to make this a little more functional for a static display (working trigger, lights, and slide mechanisms that actually work) but this will do for my Cerberus Trooper costume needs.

For humanity!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397844733.466502.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397844739.014782.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397844746.782946.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397844752.495557.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397844757.960170.jpg

Most excellent!
I'm planning on building the scimitar for my N7 armour
Where did you get your blueprints?
Or did you make them yourself?

No problem at all. You'll have to be patient till Monday though...
I'll be at WonderCon in Anaheim all weekend.

Shoot me a PM with your email address.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back