Star Wars Droid Caller

Here is my droid caller wich i hand made from an original Kobold flash handle.

cool , here's my droid caller ...

TC-S.jpg

Here is my droid caller wich i hand made from an original Kobold flash handle.

Um...am I missing something? Not to sound like a jerk, but what did you do to make this "hand made"? You put a D-ring on it? I'm pretty sure that was the only modification done.

True, but he's gotta drill an extra hole in that metal part too. I've been avoiding doing that for literally years afraid I'll screw up my original part for an ESB Graflex.

Will you add a top to it like in ANH?

Am I correct in thinking that only the Jawa droid caller had a dome?

No Luke's does too. Unfortunately, the D-ring is placed wrong. I need to change that on Parts of Star Wars. The D-ring actually goes through the cover over the light bulb. We discovered this when creating the SW Blueprints posters for DK.
The incorrect placement info is so widespread though it can be found on numerous sites and Parks replicas.

PS - I should note it's not a huge problem because the flash bracket was removed from the Luke/Jawa droid caller. You can still use the bracket on a Luke ESB saber and no damage done to the caller.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Being aware this is an old thread ... it is a Kobold Flash you're looking for ... check out The Parts of Star Wars website for pictures of the different types under 'item' and then 'droidcaller', eventhough some of the info might no longer be correct.

Perhaps, if it is not too much of a hassle, Lonepigeon could post a picture here of the correct placement of the D-ring?

-Chaim

Here is a Jawa caller i built a while back. I just recently found a couple of the screw in light bulbs and will be modifying 1 for the D ring as soon as they come in. The ones in the flash are 3.5v and the ones i found are 6v so i would rather drill one of those and keep the original 3.5v unmoded. Like LP said the Jawa DC has the d ring going through the metal base of the bulb. I am pretty sure Lukes DC in the garage also has it going through the bulb. What i am not sure of is if they had to destroy the bulb itself to drill it. I don't see anyway of doing it without the drill hitting the glass bulb part. I may try to do it with a small endmill style carbide bit on the dremel.

DSC08864Medium.jpg

DSC08865Medium.jpg

DSC08866Medium.jpg

Here is a Jawa caller i built a while back. I just recently found a couple of the screw in light bulbs and will be modifying 1 for the D ring as soon as they come in. The ones in the flash are 3.5v and the ones i found are 6v so i would rather drill one of those and keep the original 3.5v unmoded. Like LP said the Jawa DC has the d ring going through the metal base of the bulb. I am pretty sure Lukes DC in the garage also has it going through the bulb. What i am not sure of is if they had to destroy the bulb itself to drill it. I don't see anyway of doing it without the drill hitting the glass bulb part. I may try to do it with a small endmill style carbide bit on the dremel.
What did you use for the dome?

I'll try to find my build pics, i know i have some. I actually used 2 different parts. There is an inner chrome earing and an outer clear plastruct dome. Both had to have their bases sanded down.

What i am not sure of is if they had to destroy the bulb itself to drill it. I don't see anyway of doing it without the drill hitting the glass bulb part.

The d-ring goes through the bulb cover - not the light bulb itself.

Here's what a bulb cover looks like (quick pic found on the web)...
Droid Caller (made from Kobold flash) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This replica has the D-ring going through the flash bracket like a lightsaber. It should go through the red bulb cover.
I think the correct bulb cover was probably clear like this one...
Droid Caller (made from Kobold flash) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Jawa droid caller clearly showing D-ring placement...
jawa_droidcaller.jpg

Also note that the rectangular mounting piece appears to be missing.

I think it would be cool to machine a replica of the bulb cover from aluminum for a stronger screw-in D-ring mount.

So are we thinking that all of the droid callers (Lukes, etc.) had the D ring attached at the bulb socket instead of the flash bracket?

M

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back