SDCC08 - Dr WHO Replicas!

Niiiiiiice. Can't say I've ever become as obsessed with a prop as quickly as I have with the sonic screwdriver. Can't wait for November!

One thing that's unclear: is the automatic mechanism in the sonic spring-loaded, so it pops open and is pushed shut by hand, or is it moterized, meaning it will auto open and close?

Neill - many thanks for the info. Under $200 is a perfect price range, I'm definitely picking one up now - hopefully they will be available to Australia.
Ditto on the ring price request.
Cheers

Ditto on the price range. Lower is better, but it's totally worth $200. As long as it's out in time to get it before Gallifrey 2009, I'm a happy camper.

Niiiiiiice. Can't say I've ever become as obsessed with a prop as quickly as I have with the sonic screwdriver. Can't wait for November!

One thing that's unclear: is the automatic mechanism in the sonic spring-loaded, so it pops open and is pushed shut by hand, or is it moterized, meaning it will auto open and close?

If it were motorized it'd be an engineering marvel given the size of it and cost considerably more so we're having to go with an old fashioend spring loaded pop up and push down.

We're still getting factory quotes together on the ring (it's silver by the way) so I'll just say under $150 to be reeeeally safe for now.

Best
Neill

I assume Neill won't mind me posting this to complement what he's already said but both the Sonic Screwdriver and Master Laser Driver should be faithful duplicates of the actual props. He and I went down to the studios in Cardiff to measure and photograph both props in order to duplicate them as exactly as possible. With regards to the Sonic, the original we viewed has been handled a great deal and as a result, the finish is both more buffed and just plain grubby, however, the paint is in theory the same one used on the actual thing.

Similarly, the Master's Laser Driver is a dimensionally faithful replica of the one used in the show. Both the MLD and the SS are handmade working props so it's always a balancing act between tidying things up for a display piece or deliberately machining some features badly to match the original. Where quirks of the original are arguably features, for example where things aren't exactly at ninety degrees to each other and would look wrong when 'corrected', the quirks have remained. Similarly there is some dulling and oxidation of the metal on the originals which is a natural result of age on the materials involved so the prototypes look a little brighter than the patina they will eventually settle into.

To illustrate how much effort has gone into making these as faithful as possible, here are pictures of both the original we were working from and the duplicates I created from the reference material. BTW the picture of the original is a composite photo so don't panic about the nose being extended yet the slider switch shown in the closed position. The reason for making the duplicates in the first place is that obviously the Dr Who people needed to retain the originals because they were using them and also it's much easier to create a run of something if you can hand someone a finished item and tell them to make some more exactly like that rather than working purely from photos and drawings.

origdriver.jpg

sonicdrivers.jpg

And yes, the wiring is yellow in this particular example as per the original. Photos of the MLD have already been posted so there's not much point in posting additional ones. I was flattered to be asked to do these and I can't think of a better combination of people involved with MFX to bring these excellent props to the market.

Last edited:
Wow those duplicates are gorgeous! The paint is perfect and everything about them is great! I know we are going with the spring loaded sonic, but I must admit I love those ones you posted!

Wow those duplicates are gorgeous! The paint is perfect and everything about them is great! I know we are going with the spring loaded sonic, but I must admit I love those ones you posted!

Wow, oh wow, those are beautiful, I too am looking forward to the new hand held line as well, I want the Master's ring so bad. I would also love to see the River Song Sonic available some day as well, just thought I would throw that out there <lol> beautiful and I can't wait.

Karst

Thanks Neill. Last question on the ring - will there be a range of sizes?

If it were motorized it'd be an engineering marvel given the size of it and cost considerably more so we're having to go with an old fashioend spring loaded pop up and push down.

We're still getting factory quotes together on the ring (it's silver by the way) so I'll just say under $150 to be reeeeally safe for now.

Best
Neill

Everything looks spectacular! Cannot wait to get my hands on everything!!!

But I wanted to give a huge "Cheers" to all of the people involved with the making of these gems who have posted to this thread, and spent their valuable time supporting their products at SDCC. The RPF has seen a lot of prop compaines come and go, and frankly, it's VERY rare to see a license holder handle themselves with such class, politeness, and candor. Very impressive to see a few different folks from the company coming to our little forum to answer questions, and geek out right along side us over the excitement generated by the Who stuff. I think that's a brilliant way to run a company, and I hope to see the trend continue moving forward.

Thanks again guys!

One thing I find really neat about Doctor Who in America is that it's FINALLY catching on. NOWHERE near as much as in the UK, but folks are starting to get it. The funny part is just how darn HUGE it is overseas. I don't even know what to compare it to. I'd say it's like Star Trek when Next Gen hit its stride, but it's really totally different. Over the UK, you've got grannies, housewives, teachers, EVERYONE watching DW. Not just sci-fi geeks who are hoping to move out of their parents garage one day. (and yes, I was one of those too :lol ) Anyhow, just an observation.

I am completely in love with those replicas. I hope that the final version that you guys bring out looks just as good. I will take one of those right now.

I know that there will be differences between those replicas and the actual released version because of automatic slider, but I have to admit they are just lovely.
I can't wait for your released version and will be buying one when it does come out. If it is under $200 US then I definitely will have one as soon as possible.

It is great to see something finally come out that I have been trying to get one either made or find a replica of for over 4 years now. Thanks so much.

I'm going to start saving my pennies for that Davros bust. :)

If you get time Neill, would you mind letting us know what the Sontaran and Davros heads will be made from and if they'll likely be at the same price point as the Cyberman?

A November reslease works for me. It will allow me to save a little more to make sure I can get the things I want. The sonic is a MUST! The laser screwdriver is a maybe, I'm not sure just yet. (Your replica is beautiful) It's the prop in general that doesn't do a lot for me. The ring is attracting me. If I buy it, I'm going to be wearing it.

Horray, I turn 30 in November, what a great idea for a present, or a number of presents, time to start pestering my nearest and dearest :lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back