OB1 ANH Saber - PARTS LIST

Is there a better website with close up references? I agree there are a bunch of variances there...

Ok, I do have some shots before I did anything to it...hopefully some of that shows up...I'll see what I can find...but I remember seeing the word Cotton on it and that was about all I could make out...now of course we know the rest of the lettering...but I didn't...

Originally posted by Serafino@Nov 2 2005, 10:26 PM
In the details, there is no such thing as a 'standard' Mk I.  :)

I'd LOVE to see before and after pictures of the stamped lettering disappearing Sporak, if you can dig them up, very useful that would be.
[snapback]1108617[/snapback]​

When were the transistors discovered?
I didn't see anything on this. Search revealed nothing.

As far as the windvane lettering. High res pics show a pretty clear "O" in the highlight on the transistor side and hints of letters to either side.
The lower part of the "L" in Graflex disappears completely in shadow and that part is silver. It's not hard to see how smaller, shallower letters would disappear on a part that is basically flat black.

The Mechanismo pic seems to show a clear letter in the highlight, but unfortunately no one has that original source image here.

Transistor research thread was...man, IIRC it was five years ago. Sheesh, time flies in the prop world.

No, we never(as far as I remember) identified the exact model of transistors used. We only found "close" look-a-likes, but never with any markings as seen by refference material.

Both threads, the old and new one never resulted in identifying the transistors.
There was JD Pilot's "best guess" decals to dress up some that were the right shape and size but that was it.
So the transistors and washers are the last Obi-Wan saber mysteries.

I have three grenades -- Chen's original, another original and a cast. Chen's original has no lettering in the wind vane. The other original is hard to read -- it looks like ROBOTE & AMMONAL Ltd LONDON. The cast grenade reads "cotton powder."

Thanks to Wacky Chimp, I am adding two pictures.

It seems to me that if these were wartime production, there probably were several manufacturers, each adding their own touch and their name of the wind vane. If so, we may never be able to pinpoint the precise manufacturer unless we get a detailed pic of the wind vane on the real prop.

I hope this helps move the ball -- I am gratful to everyone for their outstanding detective work in identifying pieces.

DJ

3_10.jpg

4_7.jpg

P.S. The first pic center, that windvane looks white, optical illusion, I haven't cleaned that part out yet. ;)

Ah, I see. I guess they identified the manufacturer based on the "N" but not the particular model. Thanks, folks.

Really? I recall pretty convincing comparison pics.

I'd better start over:

I know absolutely nothing about the transistors.

:lol

Originally posted by franz bolo@Nov 3 2005, 06:02 AM
Great stuff victory201..  What's the grenade on the right? Is that a Flash Hider I see in the background :D

FB
[snapback]1108852[/snapback]​

Thanks, these are my pride and joy.

To match grenades to pics -- in top pic left to right, original chen, original unknown, cast; in bottom pic, reverse order, cast, original unknown, orginial chen. Hope that clarifies.

And yes that is a flash hider "hiding" in the back -- just got it.

DJ

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Nov 3 2005, 02:21 AM
The manufacturer isn't even known.
NEC was just a guess. I don't think that's their logo on there.
[snapback]1108761[/snapback]​

I contacted about a half dozen or so transistor collectors, not one ever returned an email.

I scoured several thousand vintage transistor websites, nothing even remotely close. Most websites just use line drawings of the PNP top hat style transistors they have in stock.

I've looked at hundreds of manufacturers marks and tried to mess with them in photoshop to see if I could reproduce the remaining markings, to no avail.

The prop department (or old age) may have just removed too much identifying information from the top of the transistor.

-Fred

Hey Nexus,

If it's all right with you, I'd like to use that pic as part of my eventual Obi display that I'm working on.

Any chance of a high res version you could email me?

-Fred

Originally posted by Gigatron@Nov 8 2005, 11:36 AM
Hey Nexus,

If it's all right with you, I'd like to use that pic as part of my eventual Obi display that I'm working on.

-Fred
[snapback]1112164[/snapback]​
OK by me. ;)

Define "high res".

Originally posted by Nexus6+Nov 8 2005, 04:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nexus6 @ Nov 8 2005, 04:40 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Nov 8 2005, 11:36 AM
Hey Nexus,

-Fred
[snapback]1112164[/snapback]​
OK by me. ;)

Define "high res".
[snapback]1112221[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well, I guess just a larger file size (not so much high res). I know the board (and/or Wacky Chimp) has a limit on the size of the pic you can post, so I was wondering if you had a larger sized file that you had scaled down to post here. For instance, my Boston pics are all 4 megs in size, but I scale them down to 70 Kbs for WC's web site.

I hope that made as much sense on paper as it did in my head :lol

Thanks,
Fred

Originally posted by Gigatron@Nov 8 2005, 12:55 PM
Well, I guess just a larger file size (not so much high res).  I know the board (and/or Wacky Chimp) has a limit on the size of the pic you can post, so I was wondering if you had a larger sized file that you had scaled down to post here.  For instance, my Boston pics are all 4 megs in size, but I scale them down to 70 Kbs for WC's web site.

Thanks,
Fred
[snapback]1112232[/snapback]​
Yeah I compressed it for posting purposes. The original file is about 500kb. If'n you want it, let me know (e-mail, etc.).

Originally posted by Nexus6+Nov 9 2005, 12:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nexus6 @ Nov 9 2005, 12:07 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Nov 8 2005, 12:55 PM
Well, I guess just a larger file size (not so much high res).  I know the board (and/or Wacky Chimp) has a limit on the size of the pic you can post, so I was wondering if you had a larger sized file that you had scaled down to post here.  For instance, my Boston pics are all 4 megs in size, but I scale them down to 70 Kbs for WC's web site.

Thanks,
Fred
[snapback]1112232[/snapback]​
Yeah I compressed it for posting purposes. The original file is about 500kb. If'n you want it, let me know (e-mail, etc.).
[snapback]1112539[/snapback]​
[/b]

Nexus, PM sent

-Fred

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back