Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland Costumes

I made a few alterations to my commissioned hat. Now that this one is finally out of the way, I can continue on with my own.

IMG_8918.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

IMG_8885.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

IMG_8868.jpg

IMG_8864.jpg

The hat above took over 2 months to complete. But then again, a portion of that time was in creating a hat block from the ground up, to shape the leather on.
Hopefully I can get an example of the budget version thrown together, so you can see what I'm talking about. But until then, I'm punching away on my own leather, attempting to top of look of this hat. i recently was privy to a personal pic someone had taken of the hero hat, and I need to add quite a bit more gold stitching than this one had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice hat Tobes. Details look amazing. Looks like it could use a bit more curve on the sides though.

Found this pic of an extreme mad hatter puzzle block, thought it might be useful for those thinking about making their own. These take special blocks that come apart so they collapse and fall out of the hat after it's shaped.

Wide%20Mini%20Mad%20Hatter%20IIF.jpg

Hmmm.

*goes to look for a screen accurate pig*\

EDIT - And the Hatter looks a bit more....blue...er, that seen otherwise.

I gotta say, I think I like the MH's blue outfit.....Now I might have to wait for the movie to see which one I'd like to do for Halloween. The "pink" costume I like, but man I love the color blue. :lol

Oh! And my buddy Kit sent this link along to me :

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/16/40-photos-from-tim-burtons-alice-in-wonderland/

Decisions...decisions.

EDIT - And if I'm going as a *GASP* HATLESS *GASP* Mad Hatter....I'm gonna need me some gud wigz. Anyone seen any potential wigs that are high in quality? I've seen a few good ones, but they all have a bald spot on them instead of a hairpart.

Last edited:
I gotta say, I think I like the MH's blue outfit.....Now I might have to wait for the movie to see which one I'd like to do for Halloween. The "pink" costume I like, but man I love the color blue. :lol

I'm considering the battle kilt myself. My jacket ain't that great to begin with, so spraying it blue wouldn't be too bad. Now I just need a red waistcoat, a skirt, and a sword!

Knowing that His costume changes colors to match his mood, I wonder what significance the blue has. Also I already own a kilt that looks like his, so as soon as I get my hands on His sword I'll be in good shape.

I can't get over how cool those contact lenses are Depp wears...at least I think they're contacts...??

I know 9mm makes some great full eye "sclera" contact lenses, my guess is there will be a "Mad Hatter" version out soon...they're not cheap, but man are they awesome

http://02a5349.netsolstores.com/scleralenses-2.aspx

if I was to attempt this whole costume, contacts like that would be a must!

I'm pleased to say that I'm finally almost finished with my own hat. There isn't going to be a more accurate hat anywhere out there, aside from the screen used ones. Fortunately, I know someone who owns one.

l_e88885258b5246dea9d7d3c129010b88.jpg

And this is the reason the RPF opens it's doors to new registrants, so n00bs can enter and spread their great knowledge & insight with the style of Korben Dallas. (and when I say n00bs, I mean RPF n00bs, if you're a costuming n00b I'm not here to pass judgement) You are showing us that you've nothing to share, nothing to offer. I see one with a grand total of 4 posts, and the other who can't seem to muster to more than 80 or so posts in 2 years. Instead, the two of you have just carried out conversations with each other on here, stay on topic or take it off the board.

The RPF is a place of research, critique and ideas. Learn from some of the others posting in the thread that are of any use to it, like undead monkey, Nick, ect. We're all posting images and whatnot, adding meaningful substance to the topic, I don't see you doing the same. If you think this is just a kindergarten show and tell then the rpf is not a place for you.

I'd hate to see some of you people at an art school, when it comes time to critiquing pieces. If that's too hard for you, then don't even bother coming back.

I was Agreeing that the board looked pretty dead as of late...its been a while since anyone has posted. But thank you for snapping back at me without knowing the whole story, spot on. And I have pictures posted, just haven't gotten around to posting any on here, haha. Whats a noob?

[...]
And I saw your hat, its nice. I feel as though the brim could be....I dunno. The pictures of the one from the film make the brim look very rounded on the edges, rather than just tightly stitched. I live in a hick town, you see, and there are leather workers here who make hats and their brims have the correct turned seam look. Also I wouldn't doubt there possibly being a wire in the brim to help it hold its shape, if you look where it is whip-stitched there is a certain round thickness to it.

And furthermore has anyone discussed the Dragonfly Patch on his coat yet? Or the arrow Kilt pin on his lapel?

[...]
ANYWAY back on topic/ How come everyone makes there hat green? When in photos of the hero hat its dark black with brown and gold highlights and red tea smeared down the side.

And MY addition to the relevance of this discussion: having SEEN the hero hat in person, it IS an green color with greenish-brown unevenness, gold detailing, and there's no "tea smear", it's not a dyed color.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back