AMT Slave One WIP

Randy13

Sr Member
I picked up this kit a long long time ago and I've decided to finaly give it a go.

100_4550.jpg

First thing I'll be doing is removing these raised panel lines.

100_4136.jpg

100_4137.jpg

100_4139.jpg

I've started removing those and I don't like the round parts that the guns are mounted on. They seem too small for me.

100_4188.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I'm going to replace those with these little things that come out of the vending machines with the little toys in them.

100_4193.jpg

100_4195.jpg

100_4196.jpg

100_4199.jpg

It's a little too large so I'll be sanding these down before I glue them on.

Thank you very much. The port side of this kit is a mirror image of the starboard side. But I’m going to remove about 90% of all the details and rebuild everything from scratch trying to get it as close as I can to the studio model.

After some grinding, filing, scraping and sanding, I'm left with a nice blank slate. Next I'll pencil in the more accurate lines then scribe those in.

100_4309.jpg

100_4310.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

I had to putty up some little dings I made here and there.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve collected as many pictures as I could find online to help me with the details. I’ve started penciling in some of the panel lines. Once I get that done, I’ll dust it with a layer of Dullcote so I won’t smudge the lines while I’m scribing. I’ll post photos of the penciled lines once I have that done. Hopefully I can get that done tonight as long as I don’t have a busy “Honey-do” list when I get home from work.

Thanks. I'll post pictures of the etch/scribe tools I'm using when I get home from work. There are two of them and the combination works great for me.

Here's what I'm using to etch in the panels. Besides the metal straight edge, I use the orange plastic one to guide be around bends and the thin green one can be positioned into different shapes which helps with curves.
100_4607.jpg

This top metal scribe pen I got from my dad a long time ago. He used it to scribe his name on his work tools. The bottom one is made for clay sculpting.
100_4609.jpg

I first use the scribe pen to start off the etching. I go very light at first and follow up with a couple of more passes.
100_4359.jpg

Then I follow the grooves with this tool which digs it out more.
100_4356.jpg

This tool is great at removing styrene while the scribe pen just pushes it around. It might take longer than usual since I have to go over it twice but I like the results.
100_4374.jpg

Here's what's left after a few passes of the clay carving tool.
100_4375.jpg

So this is what I'll be doing for the next couple of nights or so.

You seem to have scribing down very well, but I'd like to share a technique with you:

One of the ways I've always scribed was with a number 11 x-acto blade turned around backwards. Still use the pointy end, but backwards. It usually gives you a very good scribed line that way.

Just a thought if anyone wants to give it a try.

You seem to have scribing down very well, but I'd like to share a technique with you:

One of the ways I've always scribed was with a number 11 x-acto blade turned around backwards. Still use the pointy end, but backwards. It usually gives you a very good scribed line that way.

Just a thought if anyone wants to give it a try.

Thats the best way for me as well.
I think this is a good little kit .......with mods and
a good paint job she can really shine! Looking forward
to watching the rest!:thumbsup

Dymo tape (that plastic tape that makes raised letter labels) works well for straight lines even on curved surfaces.
The stuff I picked up is clear and the backing is split down the middle so you can get twice as much use out of it.

Thank you guys for the comments and suggestions. I’m going to try the good old #11 blade backwards. I once tried quite a while ago and didn’t get a feel for it. But I think now that I have some better building experience I should revisit this technique. You guys build some amazing stuff so if it works for you, then it can’t be wrong. Thanks Division 6 for the Dymo tape idea. That sounds like a foolproof way of getting around those curves. Thanks again for all the input.

Careful with the #11 though. It could go deep enough to cut the piece.
Or cut your fingers if/when it slips. Also, too much pressure will snap the tip of the blade right off, so multiple light passes are better than a few heavy passes. I've only used this method for scribing short lines, but I like the results.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back