Urethane help?

Kearstin

I have been told by more than one sculptor, different answers as to what types of glue works with urethane.

While I feel it may be a case of 'different surfaces, different glues'; can someone tell me what glues work with urethane if...

Attaching to fabric?
Attaching to skin? (as spirit gum and pros-aide did not work) '
Attaching plastic pieces (such as Swarovski crystals, plastic crafting crystals, etc) onto the urethane piece? (as hot glue and super glue did not work).

This is much appreciated! Thank you!

Hello dear, you may get better answers if you post this in the costume section, this is the general modeling just wanted to point it out so you can get the help your looking for.
Ray

Superglue should have worked, but you may have needed to prep the surface first.
Alcohol washing of the piece as a prep and light sanding of the area to be glued will help.

There are a few types of urethane adhesive you can use, ure-bond and Adhere (by vettec), seem to work well, aquaseal has been used to attach urethane muscles to batsuits with superglue finisher to do the edges.

As for superglues, get the higher quality stuff, i personally use zap-a-gap, but others like the loctite high impact formula.

As for attaching urethan to the skin... I dont have a good answer for that, i havent seen or heard of any adhesives that are safe for the skin that will bond with urethane.

Are you talking about urethane rubber or plastic? For urethane to fabric you can use more urethane. Urethane to most plastics I've always used CA without trouble. Just make sure both parts are clean and free of any release. "Oily"plastics like vinyl or polyester don't like to glue.

Hello dear, you may get better answers if you post this in the costume section, this is the general modeling just wanted to point it out so you can get the help your looking for.
Ray
Is there a way I can transfer the thread? Or is that MOD style? :)
Superglue should have worked, but you may have needed to prep the surface first.
Alcohol washing of the piece as a prep and light sanding of the area to be glued will help.

There are a few types of urethane adhesive you can use, ure-bond and Adhere (by vettec), seem to work well, aquaseal has been used to attach urethane muscles to batsuits with superglue finisher to do the edges.

As for superglues, get the higher quality stuff, i personally use zap-a-gap, but others like the loctite high impact formula.

As for attaching urethan to the skin... I dont have a good answer for that, i havent seen or heard of any adhesives that are safe for the skin that will bond with urethane.
Thank you so much! I was not aware of prepping the pieces, either. I was under the impression "just apply and go!" so thank you for that part, too!
Are you talking about urethane rubber or plastic? For urethane to fabric you can use more urethane. Urethane to most plastics I've always used CA without trouble. Just make sure both parts are clean and free of any release. "Oily"plastics like vinyl or polyester don't like to glue.
It's urethane rubber!

Yeah so urethane rubber on more urethane rubber will delaminate, that would only work with polyurethane or hard urethane plastics what swgeek was talking about.

I was thinking about what you were mentioning the urethane to skin application, if this is merely an appliance, then you could probably get away with backing the skin-touching parts with some thin fiber like cotton, with the glues i was mentioning before, do that in two thin layers and on the outermost layer, you could brush in whatever skin adhesive you needed to use.

Now that i had remembered that there was some kind of adhesive that was used to keep the batman cowls in place on the various actors, cant seem to find info on it, or maybe my google-fu is not so good.

If you are working with a prosthetic and not just an appliance, you might want to get a silicone version in stead, there are several skin-save silicone adhesives out there, like Skin Tite (smooth-on).

Last edited:
Smooth-On makes an adhesive for urethane rubber that might do the job (though not for skin). Contact Beaker, he's a Smooth-On rep and a member here.

You guys are so awesome. Thank you. Yeah I'm looking at both skin application, and then to materials (fabrics, plastics, etc). So this is helpful! Yay learning!

Smooth-On makes an adhesive for urethane rubber that might do the job (though not for skin). Contact Beaker, he's a Smooth-On rep and a member here.

Yes i should have been more specific in my original reply, Smooth-on urethane adhesive is called Ure-bond.

I think that for skin application, they would probably know best being big in that chemical rubber dealio over there, shoot them an email to see what they might recommend for skin applications.

For skin application, there really isnt a skin-friendly urethane bonding agent. As nachtinis mentioned before you can back the urethane appliance with another skin-safe material. Personally I would use latex rubber as it is cheap and very easy to make laminating sheets out of. To do this pour some latex onto a clean surface so that the surface area is enough to back your appliance. when it has dried, you can use a sharp craft knife to cut it into the shape you need. Use urebond to adhere the latex to your appliance and pros aide to adhere it to the skin. Should work just fine. Urebond will also bond urethane to pretty much everything else. Beaker is the man to ask though.

I have used cyanoacrylate (superglue) to glue flexible urethanes to other flexible urethanes with great success. On test, the rubber ripped before the bond separated.

~ Vonnor

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back