Tarantino Rambo Movie talk.

mattycsi

Master Member

This appears to be just Quentin spitballing ideas for a Rambo reboot.

Or maybe more of a reworking from the original source material.

Bit I don't think he has any real plans to do it.

As much as I love Rambo, I'm not averse to this concept. I think Driver has the chops to do it justice, and he was a marine I believe.
I also like the idea of Kurt Russell as the sheriff.
He doesn't name a Trautman, but for me Ben Mendelson would be perfect.

Was interested in what others thoughts where on this?

Good? Bad? Meh?

It's been done. Yeah he says it would be based on the book, but I'll go read the book. I think most people will just go "This is not Rambo". Time to move on. All I know is that last Rambo movie was a complete bore.

There are about 3 different Rambos. The book, the first movie, and then all the other movies.

Quentin might have a point that the book could be made straight-out. But the studio would have to tolerate doing a single movie without a 'franchise'. If they want a new franchise then it has to be the first movie again.

But maybe (a true book adaptation) is possible if QT wanted to. His name alone could do the selling. It wouldn't be very expensive by today's standards.

I have a hard time picturing QT doing a Rambo movie of any kind. It's pretty far out of his element.

I'm a total QT fanboy, so I'd be all over anything he did. He could totally get this made on his name alone. Even if he just wrote and produced it and got someone else to direct. I think this is a story he could really do with ease and his sensibilities make total sense for it.

I thought he wanted to do Star Trek.
I want to see THAT.
He has said he still plans to write it, but not direct.

I remember QT commenting he thought Rambo should've died in the first movie and Stallone hearing it jokingly replied, "That wouldn't have worked at the time. I wasn't done making money with him."

I'm a total QT fanboy, so I'd be all over anything he did. He could totally get this made on his name alone. Even if he just wrote and produced it and got someone else to direct. I think this is a story he could really do with ease and his sensibilities make total sense for it.

I like QT when he's in his lane. But I have a hard time seeing him doing a good Rambo movie. I think if he had it then we would have seen evidence of it already.

Look at 'Death Proof.' That's him trying to do a 1970s car chase flick. Yes, that's his era. Yes, he likes the genre. But he was still the wrong person to be making that movie.

Look at Tim Burton doing 'Sleepy Hollow' or Bryan Singer doing 'Superman Returns.' Same principle.

Sounds interesting, I guess. I still believe First Blood is already a great movie despite the later films and really doesn't need much redone.

When it comes to Tarantino however, I will always say this:
Sally. Menke.

None of Tarantino's films have been the same level of quality since her passing. I still go see everything he does but I just know that it's never going to be at that punching weight again.

I'm a big fan of the novel's author, David Morrell. He in turn is a big fan of Tarantino so he's been posting tweets about how flattered he is about Tarantino wanting to do First Blood. I'd like to see a closer adaptation to the book as well. As much as I love the original film, in the book, Rambo is far more violent and unhinged. Hell, the way he kills Art Galt is pretty horrifying.

Although I enjoyed I-III, I don't really think this character needs to revisited yet again even if it's grittier or supposedly closer to the book. And Tarantino doing it? No, he's too egocentric, it really wouldn't be a good idea for him to be involved. I think the film would turn out as "Tarantino with a Rambo twist," instead of "Rambo with a Tarantino spin."

I think the film would turn out as "Tarantino with a Rambo twist," instead of "Rambo with a Tarantino spin."

I'm not sure I even wanna see the latter.

The only way QT's 'First Blood' works is if he spends two hours serving the story and making it feel nothing like a QT movie.

Lance Armstrong is very athletically gifted. He still has no business being an ice hockey defenseman.

Last edited:

I swear, every now and then he just gets a need for some attention and throws out some quote about wanting to do something and everyone about jizzes themselves over it...

I swear, every now and then he just gets a need for some attention and throws out some quote about wanting to do something and everyone about jizzes themselves over it...
Just asking, cause I've agreed with the majority of your opinions, are you not a fan of his work or just not a fan of his?

I'm in the camp that QT is not bad, just overrated.

I liked his 1990s stuff best. Dogs, Pulp, and Jackie Brown were all really strong.

Kill Bill was his 'Batman Returns' moment. It was a purer dose of the filmmaker's mind than the previous stuff but I'm not convinced it was better.

The only QT movie I've ever cared anything about was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I've tried watching others and just can't get into them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back