quick question about latex molds

SDUK

I'm about to make a latex mold of a helmet I have made, I just need to know after applying each layer will the brush set like when you put resin on (I find you need a new brush for every coat coz it sets so fast)..... I only have a couple of brushes left but intend on doin 8-10 layers of liquid latex.... thanks guys

You can wash the brush out in soapy water between coats which will make it last longer, but eventually they will get ruined. Latex is air drying so it won't suddenly harden/cure like resin does, which gives you some more time to sort the brush out.

Also, latex shrinks as it dries and it's also very stretchy, so consider layers of cloth like cheap dish cloths layered up in the latex - this will stop it shrinking and stretching so much. Probably 10-15 coats of latex, then layers with cloth. Here's a big latex mould I did because it would have cost a fortune in Silicone:

XRobots.co.uk - Giger Alien Costume

Here's a step-by-step for using cloth:

http://www.propbuilder.co.uk/howto/mouldandcastsolid.html

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back