Prop dusting

matthewdu4

I recently got an old lifesized alien piece from aliens. It was made by distortions unlimited in the early 90s and he looks fantastic but is rather dusty, especially in his ribs and deep crevices. I want to be very cautious not to scratch his paint, and wanted to know if a q-tip could work well or if there’s something else I should use? Thanks!
6A9F4221-00BC-4EA1-B173-14B5A65A271D.jpeg
7E85A531-1FA6-4EB1-81AC-15CA9FA0F189.png
7E85A531-1FA6-4EB1-81AC-15CA9FA0F189.png

Compressed air is what I recommend…even a basic air can used to clean one’s lunch from one’s keyboard would do.

Last edited:
Compressed air is what I recommend…even a basic air can used to clean one’s lunch from one’s keyboard would due.
Depends on the paint/finish. Usually, basic air works...but, personal experience here: I've done it on a piece of fiberglass and I was removing flakes of the original paint with the air:eek::eek::oops::oops: I've done it numerous time on other prop/models, making sure to use the small tube/straw that comes with the can, respecting the distance between said prop/model...and no problem(y)
Seeing that this particular piece's finish wasn't stable enough, I used a large make-up brush to dust it. Works like a charm.

Depends on the paint/finish. Usually, basic air works...but, personal experience here: I've done it on a piece of fiberglass and I was removing flakes of the original paint with the air:eek::eek::oops::oops: I've done it numerous time on other prop/models, making sure to use the small tube/straw that comes with the can, respecting the distance between said prop/model...and no problem(y)
Seeing that this particular piece's finish wasn't stable enough, I used a large make-up brush to dust it. Works like a charm.
These techniques worked wonderfully my alien is now glistening

Attachments

• C32C4569-8D6C-46BC-B8F1-EC1CD35443E7.jpeg
    C32C4569-8D6C-46BC-B8F1-EC1CD35443E7.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 28
A caveat. Canned air products, despite the retail names, do not contain air, but hydrocarbons and fluorocarbons. Some contain tetrafluoroethane, which is a refrigerant chemical. They are convenient, but are meant for electronic parts cleaning and may cause chemical, or physical damage to non-electronic items, paint, plastics and other material.

Use pressurized air from a compressor when in doubt. Besides, its much more friendlier to the environment and will not cause damage to the ozone layer.

TazMan2000

A caveat. Canned air products, despite the retail names, do not contain air, but hydrocarbons and fluorocarbons. Some contain tetrafluoroethane, which is a refrigerant chemical. They are convenient, but are meant for electronic parts cleaning and may cause chemical, or physical damage to non-electronic items, paint, plastics and other material.

Use pressurized air from a compressor when in doubt. Besides, its much more friendlier to the environment and will not cause damage to the ozone layer.

TazMan2000

I must agree…

I must confess my shame. Me, of all people, to do anything to damage my precious Ozone…

Happy Breakdancing GIF

W
All I can think of is walking by props while gassy. Props + crop dusting = prop dusting
Was just thinking the same thing. Crop dusting--more fun than prop dusting for sure. :lol:

I like compressed air as well. Sometimes cheap paint brushes have really soft bristles and they come in handy as well. And finally , sometimes the combination of air and brushing depending on the amount of dust or how long it sat there.

I use this hybrid of a brush and blower:

PXL_20240315_221927217.jpg PXL_20240315_221932173.jpg

It doesn't blow quite so hard as canned air or compressor air, and the bristles are pretty soft. Has three speeds, too!

Just search "air duster" on Amazon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back