Philosopher's Stone Build - Finished

Magnavis

Sr Member
Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted a make on here. I put the finishing touches to this one this morning, so thought I'd share it here.

The Build​

Whilst putting my Potter collection together, I realised that I didn't have a rather key prop from the series - The Philosopher's Stone. I did look at the Noble Collection stone, and though the price wasn't too bad overall, the maker in me thought "I can totally make that myself!" I set myself an additional challenge too; I wanted to make it for less than the £85 price of the Noble prop.

So I started with a search on Etsy for a piece of Obsidian, as I thought this would provide me with the best base. After finding a listing which was actually selling the piece that was pictured,a £9 purchase later, I awaited the postman. (It took a month to travel about 50 miles...)

When it finally arrived, I grabbed some silicone (Polycraft K4 Translucent Addition Cure Silicone Shore A40), and went about making a mold jacket on the 3D printer, ready for casting. I did a little shaping to the obsidian before casting, which mainly involved hitting it with a hammer, and hoping too much didn't break off...

The casting process itself was pretty straight forward. I used the handle from an old paintbrush, and hot glued it to the back of the stone in a convenient little nook. I then used this as the pour spout, but also to suspend the stone into the mold jacket, ready for the silicone.

2022-11-16 13.59.05.jpg
2022-11-16 13.59.18.jpg

I then poured my silicone, placed it into the pressure pot, and left it overnight.

2022-11-17 09.01.31.jpg
2022-11-17 09.14.30.jpg

getting the mold free from the jacket was more of pain in the bum than I expected, but eventually, I got it free, and was then able to cut the stone free, using lines on the stone to hide the seams.

My first cast was a little too bright, so I had to do a second, in which I used a little extra red tint. You can see the difference in the picture below.

2022-11-22 08.34.54.jpg

All that was left to do then was to print a base for the glass dome I bought (which also took a month to arrive - yay for postal strikes..), sand it, paint it, and then cut a few pieces of brass to prop the stone on-top of. Easy!

Final Piece

Phil-Stone-001.jpg
Phil-Stone-002.jpg
Phil-Stone-003.jpg

In the end, I came in ~£30 less than the £85 price of the Noble piece, which was pretty great, I thought. I also now have a ready to go mold should I wish to do a limited run in the future.

It was a fun little build, even if it did take a lot longer than intended due to postal strikes, and resin cure time in this relatively cold time of year.

That's all for now! :D

May I ask what resin dye you used?
Amazing job! It’s actually inspired me to tackle the bloodstone from werewolf by night, so thanks for that!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back