Need some help with a Human Torch build

SDUK

Hey guys, planning my next costume for after Captain Britain and decided on Johnny Storm - Human Torch!
I want to do the movie version, I have looked at some of the Zentai suits, some already styled like the movie and then modify it or jst go with a plain zentai suit and go full mod on it.... I also thought about using a wet suit but can't find a plain navy blue one, and also thought about tryin to find a suitable fabric..... but I would have no idea how to sew a costume from scratch!

What are your thoughts, hints, tips and advice guys???

Haha congrats!!! U are the winner!!! Lmao!! I was goin to put in my post 'and yea I know I could just set myself on fire' but figured I would wait and see how long it took for someone to say it lol!!!

Yea that one you linked is the one I was refering to as a base to modify but was in two minds with all the other options, anybody got any thoughts on this one?

Thanka dude ;)

are you just going with the blue suit then not the flames?

because I reckon an orange zentai (possibly airbrushed or printed to show flames and the FF logo) and some kind of head piece would look epic and isn't something many people would've seen before

Well I was thinkin of goin with the blue but sewing on patches of orange and adding some type of flames to parts of it, and possibly one orange glove to give that half and half effect?

Cheers dude, but I still hav a problem of how to go about the base suit, how many of you guys think the one in the link is good enough? I would remove the logo and add a casted one with more detail, then add materials to make the neck more movie accurate, add the material down the sides like the movie and change out the gloves.... what u think?

I just thought of the Dan Aykroyd SNL Low Cost Halloween Costumes Skit
Same here!

"Joan Face: What about this? [ holds up new costume ] Johnny Human Torch? It's a bag of oily rags and a lighter!

Irwin Mainway: This happens to be a favorite of mine, because it's a low-price Halloween costume. [ tears it open ] It's really one of the more exciting ones. You take the rags, you just pin 'em on there like a hobo, you know? And then flame on, lights up the night! It's a beautiful costume, I think."

I would think that you could fabricate some sort of gauntlet that looks like it's on fire that could be separate from the suit, that way you could go with the plain suit or the "Flame On" effect.

EDIT: In addition, add some sort of flame boot... if you were to do it in a casted tinted resin, you could add some fading LEDs to make it "flicker". Sort of like some of the Ghost Rider(?) toys that I've seen.

If you ever find the F4 suit, tear a little, put a small fan (smaller than PC ones) underneath, sew/stich (a little bit or hot glue) several pieces of fabric. The fabric should be colored red/orange in gradation. Put several LED's near the fan. The fan will make the fabric moving like a flame, the LED will lit the fabric, and you have a moving "flame" effect.
Do it in several areas of the body, to hide the fan, you might want to consider using foam (some refer as furniture foam) and use it as muscle suit. You might need several battery pack too.

If you ever find the F4 suit, tear a little, put a small fan (smaller than PC ones) underneath, sew/stich (a little bit or hot glue) several pieces of fabric. The fabric should be colored red/orange in gradation. Put several LED's near the fan. The fan will make the fabric moving like a flame, the LED will lit the fabric, and you have a moving "flame" effect.
Do it in several areas of the body, to hide the fan, you might want to consider using foam (some refer as furniture foam) and use it as muscle suit. You might need several battery pack too.

this thought crossed my mind after remembering a light a friend had that used the same effect to make it look like a fireplace.

I've always liked the Fantastic Four Movie suits.

I never noticed till now that the first movie's collars are stitched leather where the second is molded rubber.

Nick

Thanks for the images dude :) yeah I noticed the collar on the suits, the one on the base suit is crap so I would most likely use some kind of vinyl or pleather type material to make it more accurate and also for the side panels that go all the way down.

Grave, do you have a link to this thread?

sorry bro, I was on my phone at the time and messing about with the search etc is a royal p.i.t.a lol
thanks for the link dude, that is some real nice work you guys did on them flames!!! I like it :) cheap and effective!!!

ill see if i can get him to post in here. also grab some pics this weekend. heading out to con right now.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back