Need help figuring out the size of a weapon from WH40k Darktide.

Tuku

1361210_20230902123542_1.png

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. Im new here, howdy! If I need to move it please let me know.

This beautiful pile of beef is an Ogryn. The best pal a lil un could ever want. What he is holding is a Kickback, a single shot breach loading shotgun with a shell the size of a small grenade.

I want to build a model of one of these but I need help figuring out the size. This man here is roughly 10ft tall . Just using lines in Paint I figured out if you stacked 2 and a half of the barrels it would be about 10 ft so that means that Barrel is ~4ft long? Does that sound right to you guys?

Also, once I do get its actual size, how would I scale the size down to normal human size. (im 5ft 9in) ?

First and foremost welcome to the RPF!

So, I would approach this a couple ways. First I would pick a scale and stick to it. If you scale it to “life size” and it’s proportionate to the 10ft tall version. Then when you build it, it would be quite large in our hands, which would make sense. However, if you want to scale it to proportionate to us; there would be no point doing the math to see how big it is on him.

Regardless, if you know he is 10ft tall, you can begin to build some scales against him (forgive me I am on my phone) but tossing a box around the weapon we can see it’s roughly a little over half his body. Which puts the weapon somewhere between four to six feet.

So, unless you want a HUGE weapon it may be better to pick an arbitrary scale and keep it proportionate. For example, let’s say he is now 5’9 like you; then you can begin to estimate it based on our previous math.

I would also ask what you’d like to make it out of? It might be very heavy if it’s in resin, so begin to think about your end game plan and what you want to do with it.

I’m a big fan of the universe and like this game, would love to see where this goes. Additionally, scour the net, find some reference, find the artists who modeled the guns, see if you can find some art turnarounds of the weapon you want to build etc. gather lots of reference! I’ll be following this thread, looking forward to your next steps!

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpeg
    IMG_2443.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 51
First and foremost welcome to the RPF!

So, I would approach this a couple ways. First I would pick a scale and stick to it. If you scale it to “life size” and it’s proportionate to the 10ft tall version. Then when you build it, it would be quite large in our hands, which would make sense. However, if you want to scale it to proportionate to us; there would be no point doing the math to see how big it is on him.

Regardless, if you know he is 10ft tall, you can begin to build some scales against him (forgive me I am on my phone) but tossing a box around the weapon we can see it’s roughly a little over half his body. Which puts the weapon somewhere between four to six feet.

So, unless you want a HUGE weapon it may be better to pick an arbitrary scale and keep it proportionate. For example, let’s say he is now 5’9 like you; then you can begin to estimate it based on our previous math.

I would also ask what you’d like to make it out of? It might be very heavy if it’s in resin, so begin to think about your end game plan and what you want to do with it.

I’m a big fan of the universe and like this game, would love to see where this goes. Additionally, scour the net, find some reference, find the artists who modeled the guns, see if you can find some art turnarounds of the weapon you want to build etc. gather lots of reference! I’ll be following this thread, looking forward to your next steps!
My plan was to Get the actual size and scale it down to normal human size. Probably go with 6ft to make math easier so a 3ft barrel id guess. My mind gets stuck on things sometimes and you are right, I don't actually need exact measurements for the space giant's space shotgun.

As for materials, I was planning on doing PVC for the barrel as it's already a long solid tube, and ...Well I hadn't thought beyond that yet. But in my head, I see starting with the barrel and working from there, so maybe foam or something super light like that for the details? I had thought about wood for the stock but, this is going to be something I carry for cosplay so I really should think about weight . Overall it's a really simple weapon, so it shouldn't be too tough. I'll have to research materials and how they bond to PVC to start and go from there.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do the stock? Or more to the point, what material to make it out of ? (My modeling experience consists of kit bashing Gunpla models with a Dremel tool when I was much younger)
What comes to mind off the top of my head is PVC cut up and glued back to shape.
Good Will Watergun or Nerf gun buy and repaint that stock
Some kind of foam with a PVC core to make it rigid (Like Boffer swords)

Thanks for the advice, and the suggestion on where to go with it next! It really helps me to talk it out and have someone to ask questions of . Usually leads to new ideas.

Photoshop has a ruler function. In it you can set the scale, so I measured Ogryn, and told the program he was 10' tall.
I measured the barrel at 4'.
I then found an image of the Kickback and threw it into CAD and scaled the barrel to 4'.
I could then place lines with measurement on them so you could see them all.
You could use the measurement function in Photoshop, but you'd have to write them down one at a time.

Photoshop has a ruler function. In it you can set the scale, so I measured Ogryn, and told the program he was 10' tall.
I measured the barrel at 4'.
I then found an image of the Kickback and threw it into CAD and scaled the barrel to 4'.
I could then place lines with measurement on them so you could see them all.
You could use the measurement function in Photoshop, but you'd have to write them down one at a time.
Thanks for the info! Next step is mock up the scaled down size with something to see how unweildy it is so I can lock my dimensions in place.

So, I have run into a hitch. I am aware that a video game weapon based on a TTRPG isn't the best candidate for must get the exact sizing right! I was using the lore height of the Ogryn as a starting point. The problem is that the dimensions are ridiculous in some ways. 10.64in Outside Diameter of the barrel is huge, and it doesn't seem to track with the way it actually looks in the game. That would mean the shotgun shell is like 9 inches thick. This seems too big, because in the game, when you reload the shell isn't any bigger than the palm of the character's hand.

I think that the artist who modeled these built them to look good in proportion without actually really worrying about distance, which makes sense. What are other ways I can use to get a starting point for scale in this case? Hehe lets pretend I am a COMPLETE newbie at deriving scale from images and videos :D

You've been given everything you need.
The Ogryn's hand is 1.3' across the four fingers.
His fingers reach about a quarter of the way around a shell.
The hand is not in human proportions to the body. It is disproportionately large.

Untitled-1.jpg

You've been given everything you need.
The Ogryn's hand is 1.3' across the four fingers.
His fingers reach about a quarter of the way around a shell.
The hand is not in human proportions to the body. It is disproportionately large.

View attachment 1738081
Yea after I posted this, I went into GIMP and cropped an image of my character so that its exactly top of his head to bottom of his feet. Then I scaled the image so that the image itself was 10ft tall . Felt like I was loading an image on a dial up modem but hehe yea it confirmed the earlier mesurments or got really really close. It really is just a comically large shotgun. Size of a smaller naval cannon.

EDIT: I am fairly sure I am overthinking it because this is all new to me :D . The problem solving is fun though !

Its a matter of scaling it down to make it look right when im holding it I think .

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back