My Hobgoblin WIP

I actually didn't come across your Hobgoblin until after i had already whipped out my tunic and i started looking into what other people used for masks. I swear the similarities are coincidental, when i made my tunic i used a cheap hooded sweatshirt pattern and when i tried modifying it i was going for a look that was a mix of assassin's creed with the button up look of a Rocketeer jacket. I really hope that you don't think i was just trying to copy your design, which is by the way easily the best interpretation of the Hobgoblin and far better then mine. Your mask is simply amazing.

I don't doubt that's true. However, aside from the tunic which is a big coincidence, the gloves are very similar too. They too are fingerless which is again rare for the hobgoblin. The same thumbhole and folded over finger openings are used. Your glove is even folded the same way to create the cuff at the top. You also mentioned doing boot spats that lace up in theback which we successfully accomplished. Correct me if I'm mistaken but it looks like you might be using Suede as well. Even the mask is hard and not fleshy like the traditional character... The decision to do so did not come lightly either.
I really am coming from a friendly-curiosity driven standpoint. And in fact, it is my girlfriend that sewed my goblin suit that brought these similarities to my attention. We spent a good deal of time trying to design a new goblin that was different from what we've seen before. I assure you I am in no way trying to demean your work or ignore the amount of effort you put forward on this piece, I am in fact happy to see another hobgoblin here. However, like with those pep files and dye-sub suits, I would appreciate recognition for reference or inspiration, as I try to do the same for any suits that I'm working on myself.

I don't doubt that's true. However, aside from the tunic which is a big coincidence, the gloves are very similar too. They too are fingerless which is again rare for the hobgoblin. The same thumbhole and folded over finger openings are used. Your glove is even folded the same way to create the cuff at the top. You also mentioned doing boot spats that lace up in theback which we successfully accomplished. Correct me if I'm mistaken but it looks like you might be using Suede as well. Even the mask is hard and not fleshy like the traditional character... The decision to do so did not come lightly either.
I really am coming from a friendly-curiosity driven standpoint. And in fact, it is my girlfriend that sewed my goblin suit that brought these similarities to my attention. We spent a good deal of time trying to design a new goblin that was different from what we've seen before. I assure you I am in no way trying to demean your work or ignore the amount of effort you put forward on this piece, I am in fact happy to see another hobgoblin here. However, like with those pep files and dye-sub suits, I would appreciate recognition for reference or inspiration, as I try to do the same for any suits that I'm working on myself.

The gloves ended up fingerless because i sewed the fingers too small and had to chop off the top to fit my hand in, then folded it over so it wouldn't fray. The cuff at the top is a hobgoblin staple. Heres the image i based my pattern around-
spider-man-hobgoblin.jpg
Except for the added length to the tunic (which i added to hide the pockets of the green coveralls i'm using) I tried to stick to this as much as possible. I did not use suede, i used a polyester cotten blend broadcloth and the hard mask, that was the basis for my whole design, a hard Hannibal Lecter mask. As for the boot spats, i have a pair of spats i use for a WWII Captain America that i hoped i could modify into boot covers after my cheap pirate boots failed. It wasn't my first choice nor was it anything i wanted but i tried out of desperation. I couldn't make it work so i replicated just the top cuffs from the hobgoblin pic thats my reference. I understand your concern though, my costume does look a shocking amount like yours but i assure you it wasn't intentional at all. I just wanted to cross these three things together-
spider-man-hobgoblin.jpgMV5BMTIzMTA0NTM4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY3ODM0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg20091126021753!Ezio.jpg

The gloves ended up fingerless because i sewed the fingers too small and had to chop off the top to fit my hand in, then folded it over so it wouldn't fray. The cuff at the top is a hobgoblin staple. Heres the image i based my pattern around-
View attachment 344907
Except for the added length to the tunic (which i added to hide the pockets of the green coveralls i'm using) I tried to stick to this as much as possible. I did not use suede, i used a polyester cotten blend broadcloth and the hard mask, that was the basis for my whole design, a hard Hannibal Lecter mask. As for the boot spats, i have a pair of spats i use for a WWII Captain America that i hoped i could modify into boot covers after my cheap pirate boots failed. It wasn't my first choice nor was it anything i wanted but i tried out of desperation. I couldn't make it work so i replicated just the top cuffs from the hobgoblin pic thats my reference. I understand your concern though, my costume does look a shocking amount like yours but i assure you it wasn't intentional at all. I just wanted to cross these three things together-
View attachment 344907View attachment 344910View attachment 344911

I appreciate the explanation and the included imagery. It does clarify things and I do see where some of the overlaping could take place. Especially since I too referenced that goblin picture on my thread. Like I said I'm coming from a friendly albeit curious position. With everything clarified I wish you the best of luck and as I mentioned; look forward to seeing another hobgoblin around.

Red sclera contacts would be awesome with the goblin. I have used this company be four and they are not bad at all. The price is definitely right. $79 hell yes.

red-sclera1.jpg
blue-devil-1.jpg

http://www.sclera-lenses.com/product/sclera/red-sclera-contact-lenses-_1-pair_-/8

PS: If you have not played with sclera lenses in the past i recommend buying one of the contact lens inserters. i have worn contacts for years and putting in a pair of sclera lenses is a pain in the ***** without it.
aplikator.jpg
$2.45

Last edited:
Red sclera contacts would be awesome with the goblin. I have used this company be four and they are not bad at all. The price is definitely right. $79 hell yes.

http://www.sclera-lenses.com/files/prod_images/temp/red-sclera1.jpghttp://www.sclera-lenses.com/files/prod_images/temp_big/blue-devil-1.jpg

http://www.sclera-lenses.com/product/sclera/red-sclera-contact-lenses-_1-pair_-/8

PS: If you have not played with sclera lenses in the past i recommend buying one of the contact lens inserters. i have worn contacts for years and putting in a pair of sclera lenses is a pain in the ***** without it.
http://www.sclera-lenses.com/files/prod_images/temp/aplikator.jpg $2.45

Sceleras would look great. I've never used them before though. I've been told different things by different people about how they feel and how much they cloud your vision. How were the ones you've used?

Not bad at all for the effect. I used the Black outs. They did narrow my peripheral vision but they did not cloud it at all. I would not want to drive in them but walking around in them was fine. Now don't get me wrong you can definitely tell you have them in, and i would not want to use them for anything other than Cosplay. However the little bit of discomfort can be cured with a shot of tequila or what have you. :) I know that after a beer or two i wont even notice them at all, but the reactions I get from others when i wear them are priceless.

Small update, nothing major. Mostly i'm playing around with different makeups trying to figure out a paint scheme for the top half of my face that will accentuate contact lenses. I did whip out some leather gloves and bracers that i'm pretty happy with. I have to dirty them up though since the orange dye i used was brighter then i intended.
DSCF0893.JPGDSCF0895.JPGDSCF0896.JPG
Oh, i'm also looking out for an over sized belt buckle to match the ridiculously large one he has in the comics

Sorry, i kinda let this thread fall by the wayside and kept posting the updates in the Chicago Comic Con thread. The con was this weekend and my Hobgoblin got a pretty great reception. I got to meet some members of the forums in person which was awesome. Anyway here are some pics-
Goblin Wizard World.jpgDSCN0980.JPGJudge.jpg

Attachments

• 10584105_10204366154774286_5348674213491202777_n.jpg
    10584105_10204366154774286_5348674213491202777_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 120
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back