Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One

But seriously folks, I have to ask...
Arch villian Gabriel: just when did he know he was going to be on the train at the end? If he had gotten the key earlier, he wouldn't have had to, but an elaborate scheme such as fixing bombs to the viaduct and arranging for a pick up truck, timed precisely for him to fall into, off the roof, would have been impossible to plan ahead. I know they said The Entity was clever, but are we expected to believe that it foresaw Ethans plan, long before he even concieved it?

But seriously folks, I have to ask...
Arch villian Gabriel: just when did he know he was going to be on the train at the end? If he had gotten the key earlier, he wouldn't have had to, but an elaborate scheme such as fixing bombs to the viaduct and arranging for a pick up truck, timed precisely for him to fall into, off the roof, would have been impossible to plan ahead. I know they said The Entity was clever, but are we expected to believe that it foresaw Ethans plan, long before he even concieved it?
Probabilities... it's a number crunching thing.

Yeah a few implausible things happened but hey it's MI so I don't mind.
Once that engine went over the cliff there was no real reason for the other carriages to follow.. the downwards force on the effectively elbow effect and other carriages would keep it grounded, yeah I've done it with my 00 scale but it's not as exciting..

Looking forward to part two and hopefully a few surprises along the way.

Well, so now we know how the writers spent their downtime, and getting their unconscious inspiration: playing Uncharted 2!

I asked Mark Bristol, McQuarrie's storyboard artist, whether they took inspiration from there. He says they never discussed games. Yet the similarities are so striking you do wonder if someone in that crew who is a fan of Uncharted isn't influencing these choices somehow.

It's not just the train crash from Uncharted 2, the black truck that Paris drives like a bulldozer through Rome is very reminiscent of the armored truck in Uncharted 4. The shootout in the ruins during the sandstorm at the beginning reminds of the shootout in the sandstorm toward the end of Uncharted 3. And both the plane sequence from Rogue Nation and the helicopter chase from Fallout are somewhat similar to the plane sequence in Uncharted 3 and the helicopter scene in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. So it's been a while since these coincidences started.

I asked Mark Bristol, McQuarrie's storyboard artist, whether they took inspiration from there. He says they never discussed games. Yet the similarities are so striking you do wonder if someone in that crew who is a fan of Uncharted isn't influencing these choices somehow.

It's not just the train crash from Uncharted 2, the black truck that Paris drives like a bulldozer through Rome is very reminiscent of the armored truck in Uncharted 4. The shootout in the ruins during the sandstorm at the beginning reminds of the shootout in the sandstorm toward the end of Uncharted 3. And both the plane sequence from Rogue Nation and the helicopter chase from Fallout are somewhat similar to the plane sequence in Uncharted 3 and the helicopter scene in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. So it's been a while since these coincidences started.
To be fare Uncharted is a collection of already used classic movie scenes..
In the space of a month we have seen two major franchises use a train based chase.

Even The Polar Express had a train top escapade lol..

Art imitating Art with just a few variants..

I do love the Unchanted series
I always saw Leslie Nielson as Sully in my mind as I'm sure others did too..

To be fare Uncharted is a collection of already used classic movie scenes..
In the space of a month we have seen two major franchises use a train based chase.

Even The Polar Express had a train top escapade lol..

Art imitating Art with just a few variants..

I do love the Unchanted series
I always saw Leslie Nielson as Sully in my mind as I'm sure others did too..

It is. It may very well be a coincidence and I don't doubt Bristol. People have also been noticing the similarity between the cliff set piece from Spielberg's The Lost World and the train crash, which I admit it also reminded me of. On the other hand, I haven't really seen anyone point it out, but the whole concept of two leads having to drive a vehicle while handcuffed during a chase was featured in Tomorrow Never Dies, only with a motorbike instead of a Fiat (which, as much I loved the Fiat chase, I think is the better use of that idea).

To be fair, Uncharted 3 also lifted the whole plane set piece over the desert from The Living Daylights, even though no one ever seems to remember it.

These big movies though, they usually have an army of concept artists and previz guys devising potential action scenes, shots and such. And those guys will have their own set of influences. So who knows. A mystery for another day.

First draft attempt at one of the main props

Attachments

• IMG_1685.jpeg
    IMG_1685.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
I saw it last night and generally thought it was good as a vehicle for some great chase scenes, but not much else.
The train crash near the end had me baffled. They made such a big deal about building a replica steam locomotive, then making it do a half-gainer into a quarry for the filming. I get that they had to do CGI for the bridge it was on as they used scaffold for that in real life. But they used so much CGI for everything else, I wouldn't consider it a practical effect at all. Why not CGI the whole thing?
I now think they did this only to get buzz going before the release.
And my wife was very unhappy when it ended halfway through the story. I thought she knew it was "part one" for a reason. I guess after the Avengers movies, Hollywood is just splitting long stories into two movies these days...

I'm a Tom Cruise fan...for all his badass 60yo stunts...and his love of movie making and respect for the fans.

I'm a Mission Impossible fan (recently re-watched them all expect that turd #2) and they are really fun. Number 3 is my favorite (with #5 closeby) and I even liked the inferior #4 and #6 much better this viewing.

I was super stoked for this new film from the trailers, but I have to say I left disappointed. It just didn't work for me. A lot of odd decisions made by the filmmakers. The action and cast were great, but the story was just goofy...something missing.

Maybe with time it will grow on me like #4 and #6 have?

I'm a Tom Cruise fan...for all his badass 60yo stunts...and his love of movie making and respect for the fans.

I'm a Mission Impossible fan (recently re-watched them all expect that turd #2) and they are really fun. Number 3 is my favorite (with #5 closeby) and I even liked the inferior #4 and #6 much better this viewing.

I was super stoked for this new film from the trailers, but I have to say I left disappointed. It just didn't work for me. A lot of odd decisions made by the filmmakers. The action and cast were great, but the story was just goofy...something missing.

Maybe part2 will fill in the gaps ;)

Agreed.

Finally got the time to see it with the missus. For a movie, it was pretty great but for a MI vehicle, it was ok. I do felt the movie was quite unnecessarily long in some instances and with some tighter editing, the movie could have been one vehicle.

Loved the intro in the desert. The shootout gave me MGSV vibes with the desert and Ilsa as a sniper. The airport also felt very MI with Ethan cleverly escaping the CIA.

Did not like the Rome scenes. Felt goofy and Grace came off as very annoying. Expert thief but can’t drive at all? Ethan also seemed way too forgiving and accepting of her despite the fact that she betrays his trust constantly and leaves him for dead at one point. He is also consistently the one saving her ass throughout the airport and chase so why she betrays him constantly is baffling. Also didn’t make sense why Ethan couldn’t pick these cuffs with the paper clip here when he was able to pick two cuffs in the 4th movie after lying in the hospital following a bomb explosion.

Party scene was also well done until the inevitable betrayal again which was baffling. They literally spell out the key is dangerous and could lead to humanity’s doom with Ethan being the only one to kill it and Grace still runs away. I also didn’t buy Ethan caring for both Grace and Ilsa. Ilsa has been a trusted confidant and ally throughout two movies that has also saved Ethan’s ass several times with hints of romance while Grace is a rando. Her dying should have any impact beyond I’m sad another civ died.

Also felt weird about the scene implying the IMF team members were all former criminals that got caught and given a choice. Don’t remember 1 to 3 very well but don’t remember Ethan being a former criminal given that he is also a teacher in 3 with IMF had students and trainees like any covert org. Benji shouldn’t be a former criminal given that he was an analyst that eventually became a field agent, as is Agents Walker and Carter from 4.

Train scene was pretty cool with Grace finally working with the team. I don’t see how she took the key off Gabe at the end (maybe I missed it but she doesn’t directly interact with him after he picks up the key off the floor so no chance for a lift) or why Paris decided to save them.

I can see the younger black CIA guy also joining team IMF after part 2 as well as Paris if she survives (or she just rides off). Maybe part 2 ends with Ethan being the next secretary and a new team being formed although none of them is a “leader” to replace Ethan.

There are also a lot of unanswered questions:
- why does the entity want to control/destroy the intelligence systems, especially since it is sentient? More importantly, what do they want?
- why did white widow pick Grace specifically to grab the key?
- why is Gabriel working for the entity (and Paris to a lesser extent)? The entity seems to want to destroy humanity so why fight for his demise (he can’t seriously think the entity would spare him right?).
- why is the AI able to predict the IMF and Ethan? The IMF is notorious for improvising on the fly and pulling off insane stunts to do things that seem impossible (hence impossible mission force). They are the definition of unpredictable and since the AI relies on probabilities, the IMF should be its biggest weakness and not something it can combat well.

I’m guessing most of these questions will be answered in part 2 so waiting for that. I do get the feeling that this is Cruise’ last Hunt (guy is insanely dedicated but even he can’t fight aging).

Agreed.

Finally got the time to see it with the missus. For a movie, it was pretty great but for a MI vehicle, it was ok. I do felt the movie was quite unnecessarily long in some instances and with some tighter editing, the movie could have been one vehicle.

Loved the intro in the desert. The shootout gave me MGSV vibes with the desert and Ilsa as a sniper. The airport also felt very MI with Ethan cleverly escaping the CIA.

Did not like the Rome scenes. Felt goofy and Grace came off as very annoying. Expert thief but can’t drive at all? Ethan also seemed way too forgiving and accepting of her despite the fact that she betrays his trust constantly and leaves him for dead at one point. He is also consistently the one saving her ass throughout the airport and chase so why she betrays him constantly is baffling. Also didn’t make sense why Ethan couldn’t pick these cuffs with the paper clip here when he was able to pick two cuffs in the 4th movie after lying in the hospital following a bomb explosion.

Party scene was also well done until the inevitable betrayal again which was baffling. They literally spell out the key is dangerous and could lead to humanity’s doom with Ethan being the only one to kill it and Grace still runs away. I also didn’t buy Ethan caring for both Grace and Ilsa. Ilsa has been a trusted confidant and ally throughout two movies that has also saved Ethan’s ass several times with hints of romance while Grace is a rando. Her dying should have any impact beyond I’m sad another civ died.

Also felt weird about the scene implying the IMF team members were all former criminals that got caught and given a choice. Don’t remember 1 to 3 very well but don’t remember Ethan being a former criminal given that he is also a teacher in 3 with IMF had students and trainees like any covert org. Benji shouldn’t be a former criminal given that he was an analyst that eventually became a field agent, as is Agents Walker and Carter from 4.

Train scene was pretty cool with Grace finally working with the team. I don’t see how she took the key off Gabe at the end (maybe I missed it but she doesn’t directly interact with him after he picks up the key off the floor so no chance for a lift) or why Paris decided to save them.

I can see the younger black CIA guy also joining team IMF after part 2 as well as Paris if she survives (or she just rides off). Maybe part 2 ends with Ethan being the next secretary and a new team being formed although none of them is a “leader” to replace Ethan.

There are also a lot of unanswered questions:
- why does the entity want to control/destroy the intelligence systems, especially since it is sentient? More importantly, what do they want?
- why did white widow pick Grace specifically to grab the key?
- why is Gabriel working for the entity (and Paris to a lesser extent)? The entity seems to want to destroy humanity so why fight for his demise (he can’t seriously think the entity would spare him right?).
- why is the AI able to predict the IMF and Ethan? The IMF is notorious for improvising on the fly and pulling off insane stunts to do things that seem impossible (hence impossible mission force). They are the definition of unpredictable and since the AI relies on probabilities, the IMF should be its biggest weakness and not something it can combat well.

I’m guessing most of these questions will be answered in part 2 so waiting for that. I do get the feeling that this is Cruise’ last Hunt (guy is insanely dedicated but even he can’t fight aging).
It was prolly one movie that then got bulked out and split to make more money...

I'd still like to see Henry Cavell return..

"Slightly crispy, slightly enhanced"

It was prolly one movie that then got bulked out and split to make more money...

I'd still like to see Henry Cavell return..

"Slightly crispy, slightly enhanced"
Agreed. I cant say for sure without seeing part 2 but I suspect that with some editing, you can easily make it into one movie with a much faster paced story that is more fitting to MI. Im guessing that it could be because this is likely Cruise’ last outing, they wanted to make it a two-parter and pull out all the stops.

Yeah, still too early to judge but I prefer Rogue Nation and Fallout more right now. I like the villains more (essentially a secret organization of disavowed super agents like Ethan who were burned by their governments and want to topple the system so are a legit threat to Ethan both in terms of tactics and skill) vs AI.

Also discussed the movie with the missus and we both didnt like Grace. She came off as a “strong” woman who did alot of stupid things. Its a shame since I felt MI was a series that did strong female characters right with Ilsa (competent and capable agent but not OP and needs help as well).

Agreed. I cant say for sure without seeing part 2 but I suspect that with some editing, you can easily make it into one movie with a much faster paced story that is more fitting to MI. Im guessing that it could be because this is likely Cruise’ last outing, they wanted to make it a two-parter and pull out all the stops.

Yeah, still too early to judge but I prefer Rogue Nation and Fallout more right now. I like the villains more (essentially a secret organization of disavowed super agents like Ethan who were burned by their governments and want to topple the system so are a legit threat to Ethan both in terms of tactics and skill) vs AI.

Also discussed the movie with the missus and we both didnt like Grace. She came off as a “strong” woman who did alot of stupid things. Its a shame since I felt MI was a series that did strong female characters right with Ilsa (competent and capable agent but not OP and needs help as well).
Agreed the women often went Toe to Toe in the earlier and OG MI...

What it needs is a Vespa type character from the recent Bond Movie, she really kicked Ass!

Agreed the women often went Toe to Toe in the earlier and OG MI...

What it needs is a Vespa type character from the recent Bond Movie, she really kicked Ass!
That was Ethan's (ex) wife imo. Kind of a damsel in distress in 3 because she is a civ and not a special agent like IMF but trusts Ethan and does what he says to stay alive (no excessive whining or actions that put Ethan in further danger). Hell, in Fallout, she helps Luthor disarm the bomb by following his exact instructions, helping him actually understand how to disarm it so he can walk Benji through it faster.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back