Ideas for the contents of a Cabinet of Curiosities? Sideshows / Ripleys' style?

I've been collecting stuff that I think would fit well in a less "fantastic" and more historical cabinet of curiosities for some time now. Among them...
-real glass eye
-astrolabe
-fossilized turtle shell
-nautilus shell
-petrified wood slice
-vials of green and black sand from Hawaii

No offense, Pat, but...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz:sleep

You could go to a municipal Natural History museum gift shop for those items. The initial post was: odd things one might find in a dark, secluded corner of a creepyold museum.

How about a book that looks like it might conceivably be bound in human flesh?

No offense, Pat, but...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz:sleep

You could go to a municipal Natural History museum gift shop for those items. The initial post was: odd things one might find in a dark, secluded corner of a creepyold museum.

Thanks for the info! Stay classy!

I picked up something on the forum about a year ago that sounds like just what your looking for. The fossilized remains of the Creatures hand. Very cool....

Mike

Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe in Seattle is a good resource for ideas. They have a website: http://www.yeoldecuriosityshop.com/index.html They have some pictures buried on their website that might be interesting to you.

I go there at least once a year. They have mummies, jarred curios, crazy stuff like things engraved on a pinhead, animal and people bones. They had medical skulls and lots of Native American stuff too.

Just a few off the top of my head...

1. A Baghdad battery

2. Velociraptor skull with obvious bullet hole between the eyes

3. Stone tablet drawing of a T-Rex, divided up like a butcher's chart.

4. Gold Incan/ Mayan airplane statues

5. Gold dipped human skeleton in decorative cedar chest (Anne Rice, "Servant of the Bones)

6. Sculpted fossil tablet with recess where an intact raygun was obviously pried out.

7. Hieroglyph panel showing things like grey aliens, the TARDIS, Predators, etc.

8. Medieval tapestry fragment, depicting "wildmen" (sasquatches)

9. Ancient Polynesian pot depicting Godzilla attacking village

10. Minoan relief showing a Minotaur kneeling before RA (Stargate-y)

I'll probably think of more later. :)

-Sarge

Trying to recall what the Olde Curiosity Shop here in Seattle has in their case next to their two mummies.

They have shrunken heads (they also sell plastic and goat skin shrunken heads), medical specimens, skulls, arrowheads, items carved from bones.

I really need to go look again and see what else, been a while since I was there.

A google image search would show some examples.

Good call on the Fiji Mermaid. There's one on display in an antique shop in my neighborhood. I had forgotten all about it until this thread. I'll have to go over there on Monday and see if it's still there.

How about a jackalope? Maybe a cyclops skull?

I've started doing something similar, but probably veered more to the supernatural than your idea. I'm making a series of small kits based on mythology and monsters. For example, a box that contains a voodoo doll, the powder used to make "zombies" in Haiti and other voodoo related things. Also stuff like a Cyclops eye in a jar, a wax feather from Icarus, a werewolf hunting kit, etc.
A while back a guy created a Wonderland Expedition Kit, which is a box full of things collected from Wonderland (Alice in Wonderland) like the bottle marked Drink Me and one of the playing card guards and so on. For Xmas this year I decided to rip him off and make one for my girlfriend. I used his concept but added a ton more stuff and tweaked his ideas (like he had a playing card guard in a window box. Mine had a severed hand and he had written "help I'm still alive" on the inside of the glass).
After I finished it I realized I'd had so much fun I wanted to make more. So I've been searching the net to find ideas for more stuff.

Here's a few sites that have helped a lot:

http://aranamuerta.com/
Great site for some ideas for really beautiful little jars and displays.

http://davelowe.blogspot.com/
Extremely inspirational and VERY inexpensive (but impressive looking) props and ideas.

http://propnomicon.blogspot.com/
This site updates just about every day and is FILLED with awesome stuff from around the net.

I like the idea of having various Victorian(ish) esoteric items, rather than just dead things.

Egyptian stuff goes with the territory, but other things, like scraps of parchment with spells or incantations, some dried herbs or rare/strange looking plants, creepy looking tools and instruments, samples, a knife or two with disturbing history (The Ripper's Liston knife, perhaps).....

There used to be a curiosity shop in Newquay, Cornwall that was just the most spectacular kooky place ever. Called Puff edz, It sadly closed a few years ago, when the owner moved abroad. It was full of real skulls. from human down to rat, and had cabinet after cabinet of jars. Worthy of note were a human nose, eye and ear, bottles of snake wine, real shrunken heads and bound, pointy human skulls. After visiting four times in four years, I set my own curiosity table in my house, with old religious statues, a human skull (which I'm still considering making into a one eyed willy tee hee) a human femur, various taxidermy eyeballs, various dried lizards, moles and other random things that I have bought and had donated from friends. I still want to make a gris gris pouch and build a feegee mermaid at some point and am always on the lookout for a cheap old school glass cabinet to complete the look. Have a search of cryptozoology sites and you can really go to town. And the mix of real artifacts and built hokum props can give it a real barnum type feeling to it. If I can help in anyway, holler. I could talk about this stuff till everyone else in the rooms' heads explode :lol

p.s there is an awesome shop on Melrose Avenue in Hollywood, LA, that is brilliant for this sort of stuff, just search for necromance, Hollywood. I literally had to be pulled away from the shop everytime I walked past it:lol
Resurrecting a long dead thread, this is gonna sound weird. Do you know if Puff Edz had weird little tentacle alien props or dolls?

Resurrecting a long dead thread, this is gonna sound weird. Do you know if Puff Edz had weird little tentacle alien props or dolls?
If you click on a members screen name you can usually see the date they last visited the site. You have asked a question of a member who hasn’t visited the site for eleven years.
I hope someone can answer your specific question, but I’d seek other sources.

This is the exact kind of project I just mentioned in another thread. I plan on making an Uncle Indy cabinet of curiosities. It will be filled with Indy items surrounded by oddities and curiosities that he picked up from all over the globe during his amazing adventures (at least in my imagination). I don't want to list them all out now because I want to do a stand alone thread with photos later after I finish the project but I really hope it is going to turn out well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back