How to do bare-metal look (not chrome)?

nomuse

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Working on a mixed-materials prop. The graphite-rubbed black paint trick worked great for the "treated" metal but there are some bits I'd like to look like untreated, bare steel. Any ideas for a paint treatment?

Well...Rub & Buff followed by acrylic washes doesn't do it. It looked okay, but it looked just a little too painted.

Golden Iridescent Stainless Steel added nothing of use.

But heavily buffed graphite rub over blue-gray base is showing promise.

I wish I could just bare the metal. But the prop is a mash-up of steel, brass, aluminum, styrene, SLS, and Apoxie. I've been giving it opaque primer, and a paint treatment on top of that.

The look I'm after is 1930's blue-ing with wear mostly on the bearing surfaces. It's a made-up pulp era hand cannon, and will be mostly a display prop. The graphite-based technique is looking great on the blued surfaces. The breech cover faces, though, which are briefly exposed when the gun is opened for re-loading, are giving me some trouble.

I used a zinc rich paint out of a rattle can, used to touch up galvanized steel. I then used a very small amount of black liquid shoe polish for a mild weathering, For the rusted areas I used a redish-brown. Because it's shoe polish no sealing was required when dry.

IMG_1978.jpg

Hope this can help.

"Zinc rich?" I like the look there. Very zinc-y, but quite appropriate for some designs (would be really, really cool on a retro ray gun).

I did a graphite rub on light gray. Looks very lead. Fortunately you can hardly see that spot so it will do for THIS prop.

BTW, what are people using for graphite? I bought a General's wide graphite stick (2B) and powdered it with a hand file.

"Zinc rich?" I like the look there. Very zinc-y, but quite appropriate for some designs (would be really, really cool on a retro ray gun).

I did a graphite rub on light gray. Looks very lead. Fortunately you can hardly see that spot so it will do for THIS prop.

BTW, what are people using for graphite? I bought a General's wide graphite stick (2B) and powdered it with a hand file.

You can buy powdered graphite in hardware stores - it should be with the lubricants.

Never thought of that, Crin! And I knew about graphite lubricant, too!

The prop is done. I mean to take it out to the woods to get some decent pictures...until then all I have is an "almost done" shot taken on my floor.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back