Help with Burning Gundam Helmet horns/fins

Alpha Proto

Sr Member
I have sculpted a Burning Gundam helmet in oil based clay.
burning_gundam_zps744f4843.jpg

183541-5642620-BurningGundamHead-Large_zpseeb58bcc.jpg

I plan on casting and molding a resin copy to sand and refine details at a later time.

How should I go about making the horns?
I figure they will have to be made separate and added later.
I attempted making them with clay, but they were too heavy to stay on the sculpt. I even scaled the size down and it still wont hold.

CIMG9262_zps5e920106.jpg

CIMG9258_zps24413e71.jpg

CIMG9259_zps4280052c.jpg

CIMG9261_zps577f1b23.jpg

Maybe get some of that green floral foam blocks used in plants and carve to shape then cover in a type of plaster mud-roc bandages for strength.

if these are done in clay or wax you'll need it to be a hard clay, then you can shape it to have very very true angles

if you go the route of styrene you'll still need to sculpt a little because of the thickness and because of the mix of soft geometry in these..... so sculpting again either with hard clay/wax or bondo,sculpty that can be sanded after hardening

You could sand it to shape but if you're planning on doing that acrylic sheet and car body filler are better. You can't use body filler on styrene as it flakes off but you could make a rough mould out of styrene and fill it with body filler then clean it up after taking off the styrene.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back