Help requested with Stormtrooper "body glove" material

Jimmer

I'm out of my normal realm here, but hoped for a little info from you Stormtrooper costume builders.

I'm building a Bandai 1/12 (6 in. Scale) Stormtrooper model, and it's a great kit, except elbow/knee joints of course look exactly like plastic joints.

I'm wanting to try and cover these with a material resembling the black undersuit Stormies wear. (I'm stealing this idea from a Youtube video where the builder used a good quality women's stocking).

This allows retaining flexibility at joints but hiding the joint itself. The fellow who posted the video went all out, covering the black "parts" over most of the model..the torso, shoulders, neck, etc. as well as the knees and elbows.
This did the trick, except you're left with a "cloth" looking undersuit.

I've been researching black "plastic-type" fabrics and it occurred to me that I don't truhfully know the exact texture of these black suits. (To my shame, I've even been to local cons where the local 501st were, but I was so fascinated with armor/blasters I didn't pay attention to the black underneath, as this build wasn't on my mind at the time).

I may find a plastic type material too thick for what I'm attempting, but if anyone has pics of the material I'm describing I'd certainly appreciate it.

(I don't want anyone digging supplies or outfits out to photograph, just thought one of you guys might have a pic handy on your phone).
Thanks much, now back to model kit section...hope you costumers aren't offended by an intrusion from one of the model building nerds.

Most of the guy's I trooped with used Lycra body suits, one of my friends used a light weight scuba diving wet suit.
I used silk thermals.

Most of the guy's I trooped with used Lycra body suits, one of my friends used a light weight scuba diving wet suit.
I used silk thermals.

Thanks, buddy.
I've been researching myself and most materials I'm finding that truly replicate the look are too thick.
I think rather than try to retain the moving joints I'm going to find the display pose I like and "mount" the material in.

That way it only needs applied at elbows and knees, and will hide the joints while replicating the look I'm after.

Thanks again .

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back