Gloss over matte clear?

Supe

One of my projects requires a high gloss, translucent detail paint to go over the top of a base painted to resemble a raw porcelain finish.

I'm hoping to obtain the raw porcelain finish by using a white acrylic enamel base with a matte clear and very finely wet sanding the finish. Will there be any issues going over the top of the clear coat if I mask, scuff with an 800 grit, and then apply a second layer of color and finish with a gloss clear? I don't want to leave the matte base coat without any clear, because it will be worn/handled for several days before making its way into my display case. Substrate will be a combination of primed PLA, body filler, and epoxy sculpting putty.

Photo of the effect I'm trying to achieve below. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Ghost-in-the-Shell-Geisha-Masks-1.jpg

Hey, you may want to try Future, aka Johnson’s Clear or Pledge Floor Care. It’s amazing stuff and I believe it can be mixed with Tamiya clear flat for different effects. If you airbrush several coats of future, using a hair dryer in between coats the shiny luster it creates is unbelievable. I know some airplane modelers mix Tamiya clear colors into it and spray canopies with it to create smoky or gold effects too. Hope that helps-also Future is an incredibly tough material when dry

Going directly over a matte clear with a gloss clear, I have occasionally had some of what I guess I would call "silvering" since it resembles what happens with decals that don't completely settle into the surface. But since you said you'll be giving it a fine sanding you should be fine. It would definitely be worth testing on a scrap to make sure. Also make sure the finishes are compatible. Nothing worse than getting it perfect and then spraying the final clear coat only to see it immediately start to wrinkle up.

I second using Future for the shiny bit.
I've used it over every kind of paint there is and never had an unexpected or adverse reaction. It's the best stuff ever made, after Guinness.

Thanks everyone. Funny enough, I had the Future idea for the gloss area directly after I posted this. I have a separate PLA piece to test the finishes (and brush up on my airbrushing) for sure.

I swung by Reynolds to pick up my casting materials today, and after looking at some sample chips and talking with their staff, I'm going to see what sort of finish I can get from Smooth On 65D, which cures to a bright white, by leaving the buck with a matte finish from sanding to cut the gloss on the finished casting. They think I may be able to get the look I need from the casting alone, so I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I will just progress with the matte paint.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back