First paint up - Bird of Prey

Zuiun

Sr Member
So... a disclaimer:

I've never before put serious work into completing a model build.

Or rather, I should say, when I *was* serious, I didn't have the skills, temperament, or funds to do anything - I was only a kid. Back in the 80's, I ruined a lot of good kits through bucket loads of enthusiasm, and a severe lack of patience. :facepalm

The last kit I attempted to build was a Bird of Prey when Generations was released. So yeah. That's the kind of time span we're talking about. It was mostly built (incorrectly/sloppily in parts) and then abandoned.

I have never attempted any kind of quality paint up. (I've been painting Warhammer miniatures for decades, though.)

I've carted around a lot of unbuilt kits over the years (and even adding to the pile when something new catches my eye), always thinking it would be fun to *someday* give another crack at it, but they've just been collecting dust.

And then my enthusiasm for Indiana Jones props brought me to this forum... and inevitably I wandered to the model sections.

And thus begins my downfall... :darnkids

So I decided to have a go at really finishing something the way I've always wanted. But before starting on a new kit, I knew the biggest question mark for me was whether or not I could tackle the painting.

What better test dummy than my abandoned Bird of Prey?

I did what I could fix some of the mistakes in the build and then set at beating the ol' bird up with paint.

And here we are... Literally my first serious stab at paint and weathering of a model - warts and all. I figure it's about 98% done. A few touch ups here and there.

BoP_top_zps370f74e5.jpg

BoP_bottom_zps37f038fa.jpg

(Note: Somewhere over the years I lost the clear parts. Since this was a practice run anyway, I wasn't too worried about it. Also, I have the reissue of this kit, so I guess if I get really ambitious, I can always try to cast new parts for this.)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back