Downloadble Claptrap Desk Toy

LeoFirebrand

Just finished working on my most recent build and this time it's actually a buildable model. It's from the video game Borderlands. For those that are not familar with the franchise Claptrap is kinda a hybrid between R2D2 and C-3P0 personality. You can see the full post on my blog along with a link to download the files from the link below.

Claptrap v2.0

Sorry I did not post a build thread. Since I dont use 3D software I had to do all the geometry by hand and I was honestly worried it would not work out. I was embarassed by the thought of a failed project thread being out there always reminding me. Luckily though it worked out.

The instructions are not as detailed as I would like but in my opinion are still more thorough than most of the projects I have downloaded in the past, so anyone with a little experience should be fine.

Let me know what you think.

Great model! I just downloaded the plans off your website. Man, October is way too busy for me and now I have to fit this in! Ah well, there are worse problems to have I suppose. :)

For doing your geometry by hand, you sure got some great (and accurate) detail in there!

Have you seen the Claptrap model joewhite is putting together? As a fellow Claptrap devotee, you might enjoy it:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/pottymouth-droid-check-me-out-im-dancing-137465/

Thanks for sharing and for the free download! Much appreciated!

- JD

Holy cow! I just looked at your other models on your website. Outstanding! I wish I had the patience and skill you obviously possess.

In particular, I love the District 9 assault rifle. I know you approached claptrap as a downloadable kit, but is there any chance that D9 assault rifle is available for download (either free or pay) somewhere? I'd love to take a crack at that.

- JD

Thanks for the kind words.

Sadly my normal process is to build as I go. Building it as a kit is actually much harder. Sadly this means my D9 assault rifle is a one off build. I do have a 2D blueprint I used for the model which you can see on my website in the last picture. That was all I used and I can provide you with hi-res copy plus dimensions of the model if you want to try your hand at scratch building. Also the lightning gun is available from another builder as a free download. you can see the link below:

Alien Assault Rifle Papercraft (District 9 SPLAT Gun) ~ Paperkraft.net - Free Papercraft, Paper Model, & Papertoy

Thank you for the link! I'm going to check it out, and if I get serious about building this, may I contact you for the high rez copy and dimensions you kindly offered?

I'd ask for them right now, but I'm trying to be honest with myself and not over-commit to a build right now. But I'd like to keep the channel open if possible. :)

Thanks again,

- JD

Sure I understand not wanting things right away. If I have too many things in my backlog it starts feeling like work not a hobby. Just send me a PM or you can send me an email directly from my website.

Very Nice! Every time I want to build something from scratch I find someone has already done a fine job.

Thanks for the download file! I just downloaded it, and I'm going to try and print/assemble it soon. Your pictures of it look great!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back