disturbing most disturbing

gcbike

I've been out of the loop a little while and I see they have come up with a way to copy, found them on etsy in my opinion steal Darth Vader helmet sculps . 3D printing! found some on etsy,Wish I never found them, pissed

They appear to be upset because someone is selling 3d printed Darth Vader helmets on Etsy. It's not clear if the OP is referencing physical 3d prints proper or just STLs.

I would assume the OP feels that these prints or files are copying or using someone else's work (well, beyond Brian Muir's, since any reproduction Vader helmet is copying that worthy's work), possibly their own, but this is also unclear. Without further details it's impossible to evaluate the claim of "stealing," since of course anyone who sets out to recreate the Vader helmet all on their own is going to end up with a very similar final product and could well duplicate some details found only on reproductions, if the seller/file creator relied on references taken from a reproduction. But at the same time it's not unknown for people to take STLs they found on the web and print them for sale on Etsy, so either case is plausible.

I was refering to all the actual casts made that actually take real work and some one can now come along and scan a helmet Sl GH 20th Efx and put them for sale

Gotcha…..well, it was only a matter of time. Unscrupulous people will do whatever they want to make a buck unfortunately. The new methods of replication (scanning, printing, etc) just make it much easier than the original recasting methods of molding and casting. Sucks.

This was bound to happen. As 3d scanning and printing becomes cheaper and more accessible to the masses, the more you will see props and replicas being reproduced and sold. Molding and casting takes a lot of work and requires a level of skill, but so does 3d scanning and printing as it is not a one click solution. Often times there is some clean up work involved with the digital file before it can be printed. That requires certain skill that take time to learn and master.

Last edited:
I've already seen copies of EFX,MR and Shadowfx still lying about legacy of his casts. I guess Don post,rubies have the only licensed fiberglass ESB Vader.EFX new hope

Nice comprehensive rundown on IP holders rights and fan made items. I was waiting for some kind of action from Disney/Lucasfilm regarding the rampant scanning of officially licensed pieces and printing them. Sure... this is about stuff on Thingiverse... but maybe they'll go through other 3D models sites to scrub them a bit too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back