Darth Vader ANH Saber - Found Parts

DarthBlanK

I'm sure this has been done before, but thought it would be helpful to new people to document a recent experience hunting for found objects to construct Darth Vader's Lightsaber from A New Hope. This was my first build, and I set out to create a Vader saber on a budget with as much found parts as possible.

Started out looking for a vintage Shroud, and after many months,
Finally found a Heiland with a two step for 50 bucks and pulled the trigger.

ZP12mBN.jpg

Unfortunately the innards had been gutted, so I ended up grabbing a flash extension for 20 bucks to swap in the emitter.
99JhpNb.png

Next step was to upgrade the clamp, but after scouring the net for a bit and realizing how rare actual MPP parts were, I decided I would need to unfortunately go with a replica. Several people have made them over the years, but most are out of stock at this point. Luckily the custom saber shop still has some.

I also picked up an Exactra 23 for 35 bucks. I knew it was the wrong model and would not have bubble strips, but I was hoping I could score some cool looking LEDs or PCB board, but did not find the purchase worth while, as nothing fit well or looked cool enough to put in the clamp. For purely symbolic purposes, I did grab a black piece of tape off the PCB and place it on the back of the repro bubble strip, which changes the reflectivity slightly.

8XHooZo.jpg

I then moved on to the T-tracks, and given the stories of Mark busting up his hand on them, I decided I would use a "found part" made of softer rubber. Ended up finding a Rubber Seal Protector that looked cool for 10 bucks, and also grabbed some double sided tape for another 10 bucks.

j1gQeOq.png

I was nearly complete, but still missing the Bulb Release. I had a similar looking piece from the flash extension, but it didn't sit properly due to the length and nob on the back of the spring button. I was getting close to just grabbing a 3D print off Shapeways, but thankfully Wanna Wanga got the repro back in stock before I pulled the trigger. Still had to drill a hole in the Heiland to get it positioned properly.
vf1zgF8.jpg

And there you have it.
Not screen accurate, but the most found parts I could locate on the market.

FjdtktA.png

hyUFGUG.jpg

Full Item List / Cost / Source:
  • Heiland 3 D-cell Flash w/ reflector - Auction
    US $49.95 + $10.95 ship
  • Vintage Heiland Multi Socket 24-0 camera flash extension - Auction
    US $17.99 + 4.95 ship
  • VINTAGE EXACTRA 22 CALCULATOR TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - Auction
    US $35 + 6.00 ship (Not really used)
  • Replica MPP clamp - Custom Saber Shop
    $35.00 + 10.71 ship
  • Car Rubber Seal Protector Guard Strip - Amazon
    $9.99 (Hard to work with)
  • Double Sided Waterproof Mounting Foam Tape, 0.4IN Width - Amazon
    $9.99
  • Replica MPP Bulb Release - Wanna Wanga
    $25.00 + 7.00 ship
Total build costs - 222.53

Saw a Heiland go today for under 75.
Shroud, emitter, plus features that more resemble the MPP.

7yU0pFH.png

More rounded ports, and a more accurate end cap.
HeLRlXI.png

At some point I will probably grab one for an ESB Build.

image.jpg
I essentially did this for my Vader ESB bladed project. I used the display board and lens from a TI-1270 I think.

Heiland…I drilled and tapped M2.5 for some screws. In the bladed one there is solid material behind both points so that’s not that much help to belt hanger builds.

If you ever want, Todd’s Costumes, wannawanga.com and Super6Props all make excellent T track just to name a few makers

Your saber looks great! A real found parts prop, you should be proud. It looks the part, way better than some real filming stunts out there

Last edited:
I should add that the first Icons Replicas of Vader's lightsaber were converted Heilands. They left the heiland bulb release on there and added a part behind it.

Screen shot 2014-10-09 at 1.15.29 AM.png

edit: they may have just taken some parts, the endcap looks to be the same material as the rest of the tube

I'm doing almost the exact same build right now using similarly sourced pieces because of their rarity. Found some grips online that are hard rubber though, I want the most screen accurate version I can make. Going to pull some wires from some vintage pieces I have for the exposed wires. Any Recommendations?

Our sources of T track replicas feel accurate to me because the originals were also extruded plastic.

Love your progress! Here's mine WIP doing almost the same method of acquiring parts. It's almost fruitless searching for a real MPP and it'd be prohibitively expensive. The more common Heiland 3 cell is perfect for these purposes, mine was $77 with shipping.

Here are my parts:
Custom Saber Shop clamp
Custom Saber Shop bubble strip
Roman props precut grips
Heiland synchronar 3 cell, single step shroud
Unknown maker plastic screen accurate shroud

Still awaiting my bulb release from Wannawanga

Sad roman is out of the correct MPP end caps, thinking I might try to locate a better one off ebay as the one that came with mine has the octagon end cap. Any idea where to find a better one without buying a whole new handle?

Also not sure which shroud I'll end up going with, the Heiland is metal while the other is plastic mold injected. Both have a nice look to them and I like that the plastic one has the d ring already, just the button groove is off center.

Attachments

• 20230216_001307.jpg
    20230216_001307.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 82
  • 20230216_001254.jpg
    20230216_001254.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79
  • 20230216_001159.jpg
    20230216_001159.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 83
  • 16765365644084996483600827483835.jpg
    16765365644084996483600827483835.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 68
  • 16765365958166735223916628516398.jpg
    16765365958166735223916628516398.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 81
  • 16765366155224498711702696079507.jpg
    16765366155224498711702696079507.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
DeVine ... the maker of your plastic shroud is most likely Blast-Tech :

Blast-Tech Shroud.png

which is based on a real MPP that also has the thumbscrew and bulbrelease groove off-center :

Real MPP Shroud.png

As you mentioned there is a more accurate Heiland end-cap variant as seen here :

Heiland Endcap Variant.png

though it will proove difficult to find a loose one without having to purchase another complete Heiland :unsure:

Looking forward to see all these Heiland (MPP wannabees) completed :)

Chaïm

That's definitely the one! Thanks Chaïm for helping me locate the maker as I couldn't find any discernable marks on the inside. If the off-center groove is from a real MPP I'm definitely using this one and I'll use the thumb screw from the Heiland as it's not so chrome.

Was able to yet ahold of Roman too, what a great guy! Luckily he had an extra end cap to send me

I also got a microflash label plate from him as I love the look of it, though it's not canon to the film I believe. I'll see if there's a way to not permanently affix it, perhaps a 3m product

This thumbscrew you want to replace with the Heiland is actually more accurate for an ESB/ROTJ build if you ever intend to build one with those added colored electrical wires and much longer T-tracks :

ESB_Darth_Vader_Hero_Lightsaber_3.jpg

Diamond shape knurling :

Schermafbeelding 2023-02-17 om 20.55.43.png

Chaïm

Looks like a TI calc, woodywaverider mind sharing the model? Slothfurnace is currently out of LEDs
You are right it’s a Texas SR-10, not sure which version. There are several different versions and not all of them have the red leds, I got lucky with this one, it was the 2nd one I bought. The leds look to be the right size and have the right number of traces, but I’ve not attempted to desolder them and swap them to the other pcb. Hopefully I’ll get time in the next few weeks.

9C2DCD28-7308-4422-BEDD-9CD02346AC1A.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back