Clay Sculpting intermediate casting

MADCrab

I'm in the middle of doing my first plasticine clay sculpt. It's turning out better than expected, except my base armature has turned out to be pretty weak, causing some deformation and warping when I try and smooth or detail the work. It occurred to me that I could do an exterior cast in something like alginate, then slush some hot clay and fill the very centre with plaster or expanding foam.

So, is this a good idea? Are there better ways to translate a sculpt into a sturdier base? Suggestions for a casting material?

An armature is pretty important from the start. If you are in the Middle, and not the Final, then I suggest starting over with a strong armature. You would NOT be the first person to have to do this.

Depends on the clay being used. If your'e using a Chavant NSP you could slice the face off, rebuild the back of the head onto a new sturdier armature and then pour some melted clay and use it to affix the face back on. Sort of like a sandwich.

But, yes, pictures would help.

You're always better off correcting a previous mistake than chasing a half measure.

Unless you've spent a year on the sculpt or it's due yesterday, chalk it up to experience and try to save as much of your original work.

Ask yourself whether going the impression/clay route will save time and effort over a proper resculpt.

But I'll also add photos would be necessary for a solution, if we're talking arms or something here, you might be able to set up an external armature without ruining most of the sculpt.

But after all that, if you like the way the sculpt is, think how good it'll be the second time you do it. And I guarantee you'll never under estimate your armature again.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back