Choosing the correct Leds

FIREWIRE

Im looking to buy leds for my daft punk matrix.

here's where i am with the build -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1376862587_06a81eab2eca2239410c69eca1e090a8

basically im just unsure of what leds are best for a scrolling led matrix.

I want red defused 5mm but i have to take into consideration brightness and viewing angle which im really not to sure about.

Here is where im looking to buy 5mm LEDs

There is just so much choice that its hard to really decide based on any real knowledge. :wacko

Im looking to buy leds for my daft punk matrix.

here's where i am with the build -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1376862587_06a81eab2eca2239410c69eca1e090a8

basically im just unsure of what leds are best for a scrolling led matrix.

I want red defused 5mm but i have to take into consideration brightness and viewing angle which im really not to sure about.

Here is where im looking to buy 5mm LEDs

There is just so much choice that its hard to really decide based on any real knowledge. :wacko

The viewing angle isnt that big of an issue because the surface is curved. The diffused LED is usually less bright than the water clear type. Is the helmet going to be for display or are you going to wear it? If you will be mostly wearing it, then I assume it will be battery powered... buy LEDs with a lower mA rating to conserve battery power. If its display only, then just keep the current draw to a sane level.

Last edited:
Dont forget You can use a higher voltage battery e.g a 9v one if you have room
by putting a resistor in the array of the correct size.
Check out 'LED Array Wizard' on the net. You put in the values and it designs the
array for you.

Cheers!

Steve

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back