Buying Dye Sublimination Printer - What to look for?

DarthSpear

Allright so basically my father want's to fund me getting one, i need to find the right one. We will be printing on Lycra Spandex mostly, and will be doing super hero theme suits. I need help finding the right printer, and if possible the templates for the suits PDF files etc.

Are you actually looking to purchase the printer (the machine that puts the image onto the fabric) or are you looking for a printer? (company that can put the image onto fabric)

The former, I have to caution, is extremely cost prohibitive and you're unlikely to make your money back on the investment any time soon, especially doing costume prints only as it's such a niche.

As for the files, they're a "roll your own" scenario. They are made for the project. Any designer worth his salt with some reference to previously made files should be able to put them together for you.

Good luck.

-Nick

Yes, I'm talking about the printer. lol
I'm thinking long term, i have money coming in for props and i wont be selling suits only, im talking about full costumes. Like...I have a Magneto Helmet, i would do a cape and armor, and sell it with a red muscle shaded suit, the price of the costume would skyrocket no? lol

I need to know what printer to buy tho, and if anyone has the right templates I'm gonna try and buy those too so i don't have to try and do my own with Adobe...

I am however still interested in getting a full suit from you before November if you can fit me in...

Well, you'll be wanting to look for a large format or wide format direct digital printer, unless you feel like adding the extra cost of transfer paper and a heat press. You need something that can handle 60" wide fabric to accommodate the prints that we all make.

As for brands of printer, no clue. But that is what you should be looking for spec wise.

As for one of my suits, shoot me a PM.

-Nick

Depending on the colors you are looking to create you might also want to look at the number of inks and print heads. The standard is 4 CMYK, but you can go to 6 or 8 heads and add Light Magenta, Light Cyan, True Grey, Etc. etc.. This will add cost and upkeep but will make your colors a lot more true and accurate.

In the shop I worked in we used a ColorSPAN printer on the 6 head setting out of 8 heads. I worked great but each ink ran about $175 and you had to run the printer every day or every other day or the heads dried out and you lost resolution. Things to keep in mind when you are making your choice.

I would create some costume files first and send them to any number of internet print shops out there for dyesub. That way you don't have to learn how to make the patterns and run a printer at the same time. Running is great but learn to walk and then jog first. It makes the running much easier!!

Good Luck!!

Depending on the colors you are looking to create you might also want to look at the number of inks and print heads. The standard is 4 CMYK, but you can go to 6 or 8 heads and add Light Magenta, Light Cyan, True Grey, Etc. etc.. This will add cost and upkeep but will make your colors a lot more true and accurate.

In the shop I worked in we used a ColorSPAN printer on the 6 head setting out of 8 heads. I worked great but each ink ran about $175 and you had to run the printer every day or every other day or the heads dried out and you lost resolution. Things to keep in mind when you are making your choice.

I would create some costume files first and send them to any number of internet print shops out there for dyesub. That way you don't have to learn how to make the patterns and run a printer at the same time. Running is great but learn to walk and then jog first. It makes the running much easier!!

Good Luck!!

I appreciate that, and that's a good point. If ink is gonna be running my $175 a pop, for sure need to get everything down before i even think if buying this thing...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back