Blade Runner screen used/production made plates

edspaged2

Hi all,

I recently acquired these two painted pieces off a fella that says he bough them off a prop dealer stateside about 10-15 years ago. He was told that they were from Blade Runner. These were apparently used for the cityscape/flyover scenes.

I was wondering if anybody could possibly shed some light on them? Any photos of the cityscape that I’ve tried looking at are too grainy or blurry to help ID. There is a name on the back of both pieces. I think they say Donald Pennington?

Thanks

Ed
7EDBD948-E013-44DC-A6C4-5C8CD2D750DA.jpeg
2ABDEB32-7089-406D-948A-08A8406AB584.jpeg
7FD27E3B-A778-472C-B855-C5A49788B643.jpeg
AA5CB4D7-E843-4030-88C9-77F3F3534652.jpeg

It will be interesting to find out what these are. They do look pretty cool. I’m sure you’re very curious and this is certainly the place to find an expert that can ID the objects and name. Love this!

Last edited:
edpaged2,
Certainly very interesting props. I can give you my “2 cents” opinion here, having trawled through as a lot Blade Runner reference to I.d. over the years. I don’t think these are from Blade Runner .If it’s the Hades landscape you’re referring to, those were mainly constructed from moulded polystyrene forms with additional model parts, bits of etch, tubing etc.
Seems too detailed for the larger scale cityscape they built . But it’s the style of detailing just indictates it’s not from the production. There is a common thread/ style of detailing on the Blade Runner models with shared/ common models parts, etch, etc. that’s used on everything from the Hades landscape, the Pyramid models, the Sushi restaurant, the lobster spinner, Alfa Romeo, the Police Station, etc. Even the Millenium falcon model that appears one in of the cityscape shots, has pieces of etch detailing that can be related to the Pyramid.

I can’t see anything on your props that shares any detail with any other aspect of the models mentioned above. But I am always open to be corrected or learn something new if anyone has unpublished images/ information.

A final thought on it that it could be a found piece from another production , lying around the workshop and used as a detail to fill a space. It’s a stretch, but always a possibility.

Not sure if these fit with the Star Trek aesthetic, but that may be worth a look given the name:

It looks like Mr. Pennington has quite an interesting resume - from Star Trek to Titanic? Wow. I believe you now have an even deeper mystery on your hands! We can rule out Titanic lol. Good luck on your travels and I look forward to what you may find! (y)

Thanks for the replies. I’ve tried looking up the prop maker on Facebook and there are a few people on there with that name but I’m a bit reluctant to start messaging them asking if they’re Donald the prop maker lol.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back