Batgirl For My Wife

JUSTINIAN

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally talked my wife into letting me make a Batgirl costume for her. Something that would look good with my UD Replicas Begins suit and Coofunkcurly cowl and gauntlets.

12909511_1051594341570096_5113685241063558445_o_zpsxv45gyq4.jpg

We decided to base it closely off of the 97 Batgirl suit. I know the movie was terrible, but you have to admit that quality of the costumes was pretty decent.
robin-batgirl-2-tile_zpsyu5an9tw.jpg

I'm going to to make it as close as I can, but on a fairly tight budget. So it will be close but not exact. She is going to a costume party this Friday, and I need to have most of it done then. The final suit will be done at the end of the month for our son's DC themed birthday party.

I started with the cape. I went to Walmart and got some cheap faux leather and sewed it based off of my own pattern.
IMG_3013_zpsycwtqmtx.jpg

This took the better part of my Saturday. I'm still learning how to sew. But overall it came out good. I'll be lining the inside with satin tomorrow.

The next part was the glove fins. I started with my own vector drawing, and printed it out on cardstock paper.
IMG_3017_zpsc7zsnmow.jpg

The pieces were then cut out, folded and taped together, in the shape I wanted them to be.
IMG_3018_zpsklgv2lbn.jpg

Then I filled them with resin to make them sturdy.
IMG_3019_zpsosipbtre.jpg

After some sanding and primer, they were mounted to a base plate.
IMG_3020_zpsoza6er0t.jpg

I'll be molding this one and making two rubber ones to mount inside of the gloves.

Thanks guys!

The mold for the mold for the fins came out great and I was able to pull a few copies.
IMG_3024_zpsenlquivr.jpg

I picked up a pair of long leather gloves, and was able to rip the seam on the side apart, and then glue my fins in place. They worked perfect!
IMG_3026_zpssm3yh0ru.jpg

Up next was to cut out the mask and chest emblem out of eva foam.
IMG_3025_zpspwnpoebs.jpg

The mask was painted with Elmers glue to smooth out the surface, and then plasti-diped. Once that dried I painted it with a satin black acrylic paint. and glued an elastic strap to the back. The chest emblem was coated with Sooth Cast 45D resin. It is very flexible when cured, and has a nice gloss look to it. I mounted the emblem and my Batman cape hooks to a piece of eva foam, to hold everything in place.
IMG_3029_zpseipy5ydv.jpg

Getting everything finished for my wife's event this evening. Most of the body pieces were standard clothing items that I ordered from ebay. I'll post pics of all of it later.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back